Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEED HELP!! Matted LF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sammysmithazt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP!! Matted LF
    Posted: August 01 2008 at 1:25pm
Hey ladies. Hoping I can get some much needed advice.
My much loved LF has a HUGE matted knot in the front after washing last night.
I did a search on the boards...tried the bleach bath, tried the conditioning and microwave (which I do pretty often anyway) but nothing is working.

My dear sweet husband and I have been pain stakingly working out the matted mess but its taking hours upon hours to do and its just a hard clump in the middle.

I'm using conditioner and detangler spray but the darn thing is hardly budging.

I assume I need to get the matted knots out first before I try the leach bath again...correct?

Also any tips you can share?

Am I wasting my time? Will this matted knotted mess ever come out? And if it does will my LF ever be the same?

Assuming I do get it out...(fingers crossed), what  should I do immediately following?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 2:56pm
I just had a major issue with a curly unit that after I washed it it matted up something terrible....It took me over an hour and 1/2 to get the matts out of the hair.  What I did was I took small sections of the hair, wet it with a spray bottle, used a wide tooth pick and started working at the very ends..I had to make sure the section I was working on stayed saturated with water...then I did a BB.  I hope my little input helps you.
"When someone shows you who they are, believe them"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 9:47pm
thanks shonita. I'm still working on it. Its easily been 5 hours worth of work but I think I have 3/4th of it out....I had to walk away for a bit as I was about to go insane.

Wish me luck.
Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2008 at 11:07am
Originally posted by sammysmithazt sammysmithazt wrote:

thanks shonita. I'm still working on it. Its easily been 5 hours worth of work but I think I have 3/4th of it out....I had to walk away for a bit as I was about to go insane.

Wish me luck.

Trust Me Girl, I know the feeling!LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 3:34pm
I have spent another 6 hours on this and its not really budging.

The knot was much larger but this last part just doesnt seem to want to move at all

Am I wasting my time at this point?

Its a heck of a tight knot (like a dreadlocl), right in the top of my wig.

I have tried everything.....it seems like I'm just chasing my tail at this point.

God I hate to loose a $700 wig!!! CryCry

At what point do I just trash it....take some scissors to it or what?

I just want to cry!!

Should I attempt the BB again before this knot is out?
Or is the BB just for some tangles or to prevent tangles?

I'm about to go work on it again. I'm really trying to be patient but at this point Im not sure if I able to get this matted mess out.

Edited by sammysmithazt - August 06 2008 at 3:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 9:18am
update: I got the natty dread out!!  Clap

It did take me finally resorting to scissors though.

I dont think I could have gotten any further without it doing it.

I am not recommending that as a course of action for anyone but I used very small nail scissors and only cut what I had to in order to break other hairs free.

The end result is great. Knots gone!! And no scalp line showing or funny little hairs sticking up. I guess I got lucky.
Its always been a very full head of hair so I guess I had some room to play with.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

This board and you guys are truly lifesavers.

I pray I never have to deal with that again. It was a miserable, gut wrenching experience.

Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 11:15am
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad it worked for you!!!!!!
Now rock that hair...remember. less product is best (I learned the hard way) LOL
Mistress Shaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mistress Shaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 2:22pm
Just a note microwaving your units is really not a good idea.  Over a period of time you cook the hair shaft from the inside out and this causes the hair to break and become straw like.  If you want to deep condition your units try putting thme in a plastic nag for overnight or a plastic bag with a hot towel wrapped around it for 30 minutes.  Believe me your unit will last a lot longer in the end.

And I myself have a lot of curlies that are over a year or 2 old.  Just wanted to give a little advice to my sisters.
Shonita24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shonita24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 7:33pm
^^^^You the bomb Shaka!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammysmithazt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2008 at 8:08pm
thanks ladies!!

I dont use any product in my LF except the conditioner and I was using the conditioner and microwave method once a week...yikes!!

My unit is very blonde and it was really dry when I got it (I assume from all the chemicals to strip the color out). It needed it in the beginning but I think its time to stop doing it.

I will try the overnight method with the plastic bag and hot towel. Thanks for the warning and the tip

Would you suggest that once a week....I usually wash my unit once a week. Is that too often?
I use a wig shampoo and dont use too much of it

So happy to have my LF back!! I missed it !

Edited by sammysmithazt - August 13 2008 at 8:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic