Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much does fashion influence you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much does fashion influence you?
    Posted: February 04 2003 at 12:30pm
Do you want to always have the latest look in hair, or do you wear your
hair to please yourself?

I'll be more precise. You may THINK the way you are wearing your hair is
simply to please yourself, but are you really pleasing your friends, your
stylist or the fashion industry?

What I'm trying to determine is how conformist people are, how much they
believe they should have a right to their own individuality and how much,
even if they consider themselves individuals, they nevertheless find that
"the present fashion is always handsome."

For example, there are a whole bunch of men out there with short short
hair. Yet since the 1960s or 1970s, having longer hair has not been such
a shocking thing on a man. At the same time, some MODELS have recently
started growing their hair out and some young men seem to be following suit.
Are they all fashion-concious, or do they want the look that really suits THEM?

Or all the women who change the color of their hair, going blonde or placing
highlights in their hair. Do they REALLY all like this look, or do they feel they
will be more fashionable and that this is an end unto itself?

More on my observations on conformity once this thread gets on...
Sabrielle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 10:45pm
Oh yes, I myself conform. Not completely-- I could more, but I definitely do in many cases. Ex- messy buns- I love them. And I like to wear them b/c they're a pretty accepted hairstyle. They are an example of a style that's "en vogue" right now but one that I love the look of regardless.

I do, however, wish the long renaissance hair was in. I love it to death. My hair is definitely the right type of hair for it- slightly wavy. It's getting longer, but I'm not interested in growing it out that long because I don't want that much attention on my hair.

As far as the whole straight issue goes, I guess I don't care enough to straighten my hair very often. I like it when it is straightened, but I just can't get myself to care that much.

Another thing- I wear the hair style in which one twists her hair up into a french-twist-like deal and leaves the ends hanging down. I think it looks pretty classy, but not a lot of people I know wear their hair that way. Maybe it doesn't look that good... who knows. That's one style I definitely differ from the majority on.
Mr. Happy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 7:29am
Mt. Happy has always wanted to grow his hair longer, but as a kid/young adult faced the deadly combination of personal hangups and parental pressure. As an adult, I am restricted by "professional standards" and my own lack of ability to style my hair.

How enlightened.

So I live vicariously through Mrs. Happy's hair and, of course, the internet.

I remain,
Mr. Happy
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 7:46am
I believe that for most of my life, in respect of the length and style of my hair, I have been either manipulated, pressurised or forced into following the wishes of certain individuals and groups.
Namely: Mother, the feminist movement and the corporate world.
They all said/directed/inferred that short and "uni-sex" (I hate that word) was the only way I would be accepted as an intelligent, modern, independent woman.
I have discovered that I am none of the above - nor care to be - so the above parties have lost their hold on me.

Now the hair slavery is over, I am letting it do as it pleases - and my hair and I are both happy in our new-found liberation.

Uzma
Uzi

duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 12:25pm
Hey, Mister Happy, ever considered changing workplace/job? That
place evidently doesn't deseeerve yooooo...
Mr. Happy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 9:04pm
Nice shot Duke! Mr. Happy is busted. "That place" that doesn't deserve me is in my basement... I have my own consulting practice. I *love* my work, but it involves something called "sales," a process that involves me convincing people that they should give me rather significant quantities of their money in exchange for my time and attention.

The people who can afford me tend to be conservative. I've had my own practice for 4 years now, and am finally learning the sales piece of it. I am still comfortably supporting my family, but not putting money away as fast as I would like to. This means a risk-averse approach to my appearance. I do have a clear income goal which, once surpassed, is when I will wear my hair to please only myself and Mrs. Happy.

Until then, I live vicariously. Which is better than not living at all... ;-)

Mr. Happy

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 8:48am
I guess we all have to conform to a certain degree once out of college and out in the "real world." I also work in my basement and most of my interaction with co-workers and clients is by phone. So I could conceivably wear my hair any old way and it wouldn't matter. But I do have kids and really outlandish looking moms are a source of huge embarassment. And I don't have a need or desire to "express my individuality" through weird hairstyles. That is sort of conformist now (the Beatles were the real hair rebels--everyone since is just a wannabe).

I am also limited somewhat by the texture and thickness of my hair (fine/thin/straight). So I generally wear it in a bob of some kind. It has been as long as shoulder-length and as short as above the ears. I imagine most other people are limited by their hair texture, face shape, etc. as well. There is only so much you can do with most hair. And having clean, nicely styled hair is just polite I think. Anyone can look scraggly and messy. Why not look as nice as possible?
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 12:56pm
Okay, Demodoll, let's pose you a hypothetical question. Say (sure hope not!)
that big mall hair becomes all the rage all of a sudden. Would you rush out and
get it just because it's so "in" - and your rationale behind thsi decision - or would
you get big mall hair only if you really liked it and though all the styling that goes
into it is really worth the look?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2003 at 1:41pm
Well no. My hair won't do that big mall thing so I wouldn't even attempt it. I didn't even bother with it in the '80s. I know what my hair will and won't do and I mostly just keep the same style with tweaks here and there to keep from getting too bored. I have had it short for awhile and I'm suffering through growing it out now. But I don't follow trends. My hair won't cooperate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic