Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you think I can purposefully grow it longer?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you think I can purposefully grow it longer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you think I can purposefully grow it longer?
    Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:32am
Hi, I'm 17 and my hair's grown this long without me really doing anything to it.
I'm a little worried because I have fine, thin hair. I'm wondering if it can grow longer.

I bought a boar bristle brush, some olive extract oils and long and strong conditioner. I already don't straighten my hair often, I don't perm or dye either.

When pulled it goes down to the middle of my back.

This is all of it pulled to the front.

This is how thin it is.

What do you think? I want to grow it to my hips! I'd love hair that long!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 7:27am
I think you certainly can.  There used to be a lady online who also had fine hair, and she got hers longer than that - I think it made classic length.  Just be really careful with it, and get small trims if you see any splits (or search and destroy the splits individually), because splits can climb the hair, so that can hinder your goal.  If you do the trim yourself, you don't have to worry about the salon taking off too much, (you have to be wary of them, sometimes they cut off inches).  A small trim only needs to be one fourth of an inch, not very much at all. 

That said, your hair does not look split to me, I was not advocating you to get a trim by saying that, you will have to decide when or if you see any splits.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 12:52pm
What does 'classic' length mean? Yeah, I am trying very hard to be careful with it, every night I braid it and oil it lightly (since my hair is already a tad oily) I'm going to get a small trim in a few days, I see one or two split ends here and there. Thanks!:)
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 2:06pm
Classic length is fingertip length. I think if you check the directory page it has a lot of the different ways to explain how long your hair is. It also explains the abbreviations like BSL for Bra Strap Length. (Wow I just got back from an english class and I mispelled the world badly!!)
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 5:23pm
woah!!! That's really long, hopefully my hair can grow that long. Thanks, I just saw the dictionary, it said Classic length was waist, but okay. Heart
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 8:23pm
Really? I'd always heard it being fingertip since there isn't a good place to say between waist and knee and Hip. ALthough I guess you could go with mid thigh. But I like classic length. It sounds.....classy!!
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 11:12pm
Okay! I think Hips is as far as I can (and should) push it hehe. I drink a lot of green tea (so delicious) do you think that will help too? (Can't afford hair vitamins)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 7:47am
To be exact (at least, using the definition the way I learned it way back), classic length is at the crease right below your rear end.  This is pretty close to fingertip length on some people, but its past waist length.

If you only have one or two splits here and there, search and destroy may work best for you.  You just sift through your hair and trim off each individual hair right above the split with very sharp scissors, straight across, not at an angle (these are tips for preventing more splits).  Its up the individual, really though, how often or how much they cut when they go about their trims.

Some people swear by hair vitamins, but they never did a thing for my hair, so I'm sure you'll be fine without them as long as you eat a balanced diet, making sure you eat foods in each day that have all the nutrients you need.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 12:47pm
alright, thanks! I think I will use that search and destroy method! Which foods are best for hair? I think I read somewhere that almonds were very good for your hair.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 7:51am
I don't know if there's a list of foods that are better than others for hair.  You just want to be sure you get enough of each vitamin, and enough protein. 

I personally don't take vitamins, but I try to get some of each of the following every day if I can get it:  Orange food (oranges or carrots) citrus; leafy vegetables like spinach; nuts, beans, cheese, eggs or coconut for protein; milk or ice cream for calcium; butter or olive oil for fat and cholesterol (yes, a small amount of fat and cholesterol is actually good for you); and avocado if I can get it.  I don't eat meat, but people can get protein and fat from that too.  If you can get a little of each of those in each day, you should be set for your vitamins. 

Also if you eat fortified breakfast cereal, that usually is packed full of iron and other vitamins (so much iron I don't eat that stuff, it tends to build up in my blood, but its good if you tend toward having low iron).

Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 5:22pm
Oh, wow, I didn't know you can get protein from coconut, nice. Thank you very much, you're so helpful!
30isthenewblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 9:16pm

Looking at your hair was like looking at mine in the mirror. Before I started growing my hair, I got a lot of my taper cut off in May of this year (without my permission may I add). My hair is very fine as well but I have layers in my hair. I am hoping it will thicken up once the layers have grown out.

My long term length plan is to do microtrims myself and cut off 0.25" to 0.5" off my hair every three to four months and when my hair is waist curly which I estimate to be in May 09. From that point on, I am going to maintain my hair at waist curly until the layers catch up slightly (I still want layers but longer layers). My hair always seems to get a kickstart when I trim my hair.

It seems that you have at least 4" of taper & you may have layers but it's hard to tell (nice Snoopy pjs btw). My suggestion is that you grow your hair to a certain length of your choosing & then start maintaining the length & trimming your hair until the taper has gone.  You may also want to think about trimming your hair yourself. Here is a link to a popular method - http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/ I have found in the past that most hairdressers sabotaged my growth & would always cut off the new growth & thus, my hair never seemed to grow. Most hairdressers would insist on cutting off your fairytale ends (where the hair appears thinner) but it is possible to grow the hair longer with tapered ends.

I do take vitamins for my hair. I take Figaro Hair Food & I have also started taking QSillica which I am very happy with. A lot of people use oil on their hair like jojoba, shea butter or coconut oil. Here is an article - http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip175.htm.  A lot of people also only condition their hair & not shampoo their hair or do not use cones in their hair. You need to experiment with what works for you. My hair personally seems to be quite low maintainence and does not like oils & I like using cones in my hair.

I have provided a picture of my hair showing the growth. I have only started growing it in May this year after it was cut. I don't have a digital camera unfortunately & my friend who took the first picture is overseas at the moment but the first pink line is where my hair now sits when curly & the second pink line is where the hair sits when I pull it straight. It has grown about two inches since May according to the tape measure which is average growth as hair grows 0.5" per month but it looks longer in the pictures. I like measuring my hair every month & taking progress pictures to see how much it has grown but different things work for different people. I will reach my goal with a little bit of patience & you will too!

I'm sorry about the long post! I am certainly no hair expert but I just wanted to share what I have learnt in the last few months :-)

Edited by 30isthenewblack - August 29 2008 at 9:21pm
www.30isthenewblack.com
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 1:28pm
wow! so much info from 30isthenewblack! I oiled my ends so maybe that's why they look thinner, but they may be "tapers", I never thought about it like that. Will they be a problem in growing my hair longer? I trim my hair by cutting strands that are broken (search and destroy). I have bangs and shorter hair surrounding my face too, I'm growing those out so hopefully they'll help thicken my hair too.

My long term goal is hip length, so I will try and trim my hair till the 'tapers' are gone. My hair is really, really oily at the top just after two days, (I live in the city so my hair gets dirty from the pollution, in the country I can leave my hair unwashed for five days) my hair is nicely conditioned in the middle and then my ends are a little drier (since I braid my hair a lot to protect it, the ends get handled more) so I oil the ends to help moisturize and protect them.

(thanks, I love my snoopy pjs Smile )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 3:51pm
I was inspired & your hair is similar to mine in thinness so it was like looking at a hair twin :-)

Your hair will still grow & you can just trim off the ends of the hair until your layers around the face catch up. My hair is just thin but I don't have split ends or anything. It's up to you when you decide to trim your hair. You can wait until you reach your goal of hip length or you can do it gradually while growing.

Two suggestions - 1) don't comb your hair when it is wet. I lost a lot of hair that way and 2) try and trim your hair yourself. I did it yesterday for the first time and I trimmed 0.1" off my hair. It means that you're not at the mercy of a hairdresser & you can control what you do with your hair. With curly or wavy hair, it's much easier as people won't notice if you have trimmed your hair a bit unevenly.

I'm in my pjs now & I have to get ready for work!
www.30isthenewblack.com
Hipdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 4:07pm
I do it gradually while growing because it gets rid of split ends, so it makes my hair stronger and healthier. I don't cut the layers around my face at all (not a split hair in sight *knocks on wood* so they'll grow fast then the whole of my hair, I hope!!!)

I don't brush it when it is wet, I just use my fingers to make sure there are no tangles and then I let it air-dry. When it's fully dry I just brush it once to air it out.

I was looking at that article you sent me about cutting my ends, I think I'll just get my hair-dresser-in-training friend to trim them for me. (She knows how short to cut off |-----| <-- that much!!!Approve

Thanks for the tips!

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 7:26pm
Hip dreams.  Your hair reminds me of mine when I was growing out a bad layered cut.  I did not want to trim the ends, but I wanted fullness.  What I did was create a clip-on hair extension to wear just on the bottom of my head.  I wore this extension for a few years and it really helped my hair grow nice.

Edited by Kimbearly - September 06 2008 at 7:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Hipdreams Hipdreams wrote:

I do it gradually while growing because it gets rid of split ends, so it makes my hair stronger and healthier. I don't cut the layers around my face at all (not a split hair in sight *knocks on wood* so they'll grow fast then the whole of my hair, I hope!!!)

I don't brush it when it is wet, I just use my fingers to make sure there are no tangles and then I let it air-dry. When it's fully dry I just brush it once to air it out.

I was looking at that article you sent me about cutting my ends, I think I'll just get my hair-dresser-in-training friend to trim them for me. (She knows how short to cut off |-----| <-- that much!!!Approve

Thanks for the tips!

No problem! It's great you have a friend you can trust to trim your ends & keep them in tip top shape. Keep us posted with updates about how you are going!
www.30isthenewblack.com
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 7:40pm

30, I love your hair!  Girls pay big $$$$$ to have a weave done like that, and yours is all natural.  Best of luck getting to your goal length.  Don't give up because it will look amazing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Kimbearly Kimbearly wrote:

30, I love your hair!  Girls pay big $$$$$ to have a weave done like that, and yours is all natural.  Best of luck getting to your goal length.  Don't give up because it will look amazing.

That clip on extension is such a good match for your hair colour! Thank you so much for your compliment. I was really touched when I read your post. I don't get a lot of compliments in real life & I think it's because a lot of girls in Australia chemically straighten & iron out their hair & fight their natural curls which I think is a real shame. I know it will take a long time & patience but I'm happy with my growth so far. I will be posting an update in a few weeks.
www.30isthenewblack.com
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 5:31pm

You have beautiful long hair. Congrats :) You can definately grow it longer Id try to go to waist length if i were you :) What do you think?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic