Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

some questions about home hair color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some questions about home hair color
    Posted: February 07 2003 at 9:57am
I've read conflicting information on the following:

1)is it better to home color (permanent--for coverying grey) on freshly-shampood hair, or is it better to wait a few days after shampooing?

2)again, for permanent coloring at home: are we supposed to shampoo immediately after coloring, or wait 24 hours for the color to "set"?

FYI, I'm using Framesi 2001 professional color at home that my hair colorist friend purchases for me. It's fabulous color.

Thanks so much!!!
[/url]

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2003 at 7:39pm
Okay... I am not a sylist, beautician, consultant, hairdresser, or colorist so I have absolutely no credentials what-so-ever but I have read in the instructions to wait at least 24 hours after you shampoo your hair to color it (and keep it free of all styling products). You want to wait so that your scalp is not as sensitive, which it will be right after being washed. A couple of days or more is fine too since coloring products are harsh chemicals. And after you color the professionals say it is best to wait a day or two, but sometimes when the color is just too heavy looking it's hard to wait... at least for me. Some products are to be applied to wet hair and some to dry, so it just depends on the type. I always condition my hair fully before I color... let's say the week previous I will go through hot oil treatments or hair masques... and then after the coloring I usually end up washing it the next day and then every other day, and in about a week it looks like my own. My own natural highlights start shining through and it looks natural, just brighter than my own natural color. That's why I personally color it.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2003 at 7:46pm
Elissa ---

When you colour, you want your hair to have some natural oils, so it's better to wait at least 24 hours after a shampoo to colour. If you colour immediately after a shampoo, the colour will grab differently along the shaft of hair, making your hair patchy - dry ends will pick up much more colour than the roots, etc.
Shampooing immediately after colouring - is like washing money down the drain - it takes 24 or more hours for the cuticle of your hair to close after colouring - shampooing before then will wash away that colour you just applied.
Let the cuticle close, and then use colour saver shampoos and conditioners to keep colour in the hair shaft.

Just my .02 on the subject.
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 6:33pm
That's pretty much what I suspected. Thanks so much to both of you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic