Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Trick For Shampooing Your Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Trick For Shampooing Your Hair
    Posted: August 28 2008 at 2:15pm
I've found a new trick for shampooing my hair!! I'm sure that I'm not a genius and other people have thought of this before but hey It really works for me and I thought I would share.

I found out that the shampoo I love (Mane and Tail) has sodium laureth sulfate in it. I love the way it makes my hair feel so I decided to follow Susan's advice when it comes to a shampoo that has bad ingredients in it. Just dilute it to weaken the chemicals. I started diluting it in a little cup adding some water and swishing it a bit and then pouring on my scalp and gently scrubbing. But i felt like I wasn't really cleaning my hair well. I really  like suds. Suds (lather) make me feel clean. (I'm wierd like that with everything from shower gel to dish soap) To solve my problem I mixed my shampoo in a spray bottle and then used it to spray it onto my hair! Its amazing! I get lots of suds and I'm able to actually reach my scalp through all my thick hair!! Plus a little shampoo and about a 1/2 cup or so of water makes tons of suds from being shot through the little opening!! I've noticed that my hair doesn't seem to get as "unclean" feeling in between washing as it used to. So now I'm finally down to only washing once a week! I hope that helps anyone. Or this could just be me thinking my idea is awesome and really its lame. But hey I thought it was cool and what might work for me might also work for someone else!!
I hope I've helped someone out!
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 11:52am
That is a good idea. Smile

Currently I'm using CWC method. (condition, wash, condition) I put cheap conditioner on my sides and ends. I dilute my shampoo  by filling up a empty shampoo bottle with water, then add squirt of shampoo, shake and it suds up pretty good. Poor on head and wash scalp only. Rinse then use good conditoner. Leave on until you finish shower then rinse with cool water.

I use Vo5 Tea Therapy for first conditoner and Giovanni Shampoo and Condtioner, for the final condition. This method helps keep the shampoo off your sides and ends. Also, Giovanni is cone and sulfate free.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2008 at 7:41pm
Thats cool. Is the Giovanni shampoo/conditioner very expensive?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 5:01am
It's a little bit expensive. It cost $7 a bottle at the drugstore. Or, you can buy it online at www.vitacost.com for $4. After paying for shipping & handling, you will pay about the same. Unless your going to order more stuff same time, then it's worth it. Also, now that your diluting your shampoo it will last a long time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 2:01pm
After I get all my mane and tail used up I might have to try Giovanni. Can it be found like at Wal-mart?

Edited by Lengthygoal - September 04 2008 at 2:02pm
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 8:06pm
I did not see any at Walmart. Rite-Aid has it and maybe Walgreens.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2008 at 8:11pm
Okay. I'll try Walgreens my friend works there and usually gives me her employee discount.
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 7:41pm
I just started using diluted shampoo about 1 month ago.  I keep a 1 liter plastic water bottle in the shower and just mix my shampoo 50/50.  Half shampoo and half water.  My hair seems to like it a lot better this way.  I agree with another poster who said her hair stays clean for longer, so does mine.  Not sure why this seems to work better but it does.  Maybe the full strength shampoo coats the hair and doesn't really get rinsed out because it's so thick.  What ever the reason I'm glad I started doing it too!
sandyllama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandyllama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 10:26pm
Thanks for the tips. I hate how I am not able to do a decent clean because my hair is so thick and heavy when it is wet and I cannot reach my scalp. I hate it! I am looking into methods that others used to reach their scalp and do a good clean.
katielocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 4:56am
I like the CWC method, too.
When I was a kid we always diluted the shampoo.
I seemed to have forgotten that trick.
I'm due to wash hair, today, so thanks for reminding me.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 11:51am
Glad you found something that works!

The likely reason hair stays clean longer with dilute shampoo is because regular full strength shampoo is very drying - it has harsh detergent in it. Harsh detergent is fine, it removes oil and dirt very well, but it also overdries the scalp. With dilute shampoo, you should still get suds (depending on how much you dilute), but you don't overdry the scalp, so the scalp doesn't overcompensate by producing more oil to try to moisturize the scalp.

As a side note - dilute shampoo can also help with dandruff in the same vein, by not overdrying the scalp you may get less flaky scalp skin. (There are lots of different reasons for dandruff though, so one answer may not work for everyone. Its a cheap and easy thing to try though.)

Edited by Susan W - April 05 2013 at 11:53am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic