Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salon terms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salon terms
    Posted: February 10 2003 at 9:03pm
I have heard a number of different words used to describe "a person who does hair." Stylist, cosmetologist, aesthetician. My dear, sweet grandmother, bless her, goes every week to her "beauty operator" in the "beauty parlor." Now I'm fairly sure that's a dated term, but what about "hairdresser?" I hear that a lot in Michigan and they're using it on American Idol, so *perhaps* it's modern. (Ryan Seacrest is just SO COOL it must be :P)

What do YOU call the person who works wonders on your hair? I wonder if it is a regional/colloquial thing, so tell us what part of the country/world you're from. And to the salon artists out there, what are the differences between the terms? Is hairdresser the same as stylist?

Anyway, have a lovely evening!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2003 at 12:44am
I always think of one such person as a 'stylist', and the place to go acquire their services as a 'salon'. My grandma uses the terms 'beauty parlor' and 'beautician', and my mom calls them 'hairdressers'. I guess it comes to mean the same thing, altho my grandma's 'beauty parlor' is one of those little places that have been in business for decades and whose clients seem to be exclusively blue-haired grannies who have worn the same style for 10+ years :).
Oh, yeah, I'm from the Chicago area...a big place with lots of businesses old and new, so I guess that salons are called any number of things here.

And you have a lovely evening/day/week yourself, Lyris! :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 8:38am
I have heard all of those terms but I was told that the current term is "stylist." It used to be hairdresser because they actually dressed the hair but now it is stylist because they do the whole style. I think beautician came from beauty school a long time ago. I still occasionally say beauty parlor rather than salon but I believe that salon is the appropriate term for now. I have also heard beauty operator (weird term).

I guess it is just the evolution of the terminology to justify the huge increase in prices that has come about over the years. Some stylists make more than doctors (I know mine does but he is worth it).
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2003 at 2:04pm
Hi All; I prefer to be called, "Stylist" or "Colorist" and I guess "Hair Designer" would be OK.

My Salon is in one of the bigger Northern Michigan tourist towns. StyleOn
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2003 at 7:22pm
Yet another person from Michigan! I swear there's a whole pack of us on these boards. Too bad Michigan isn't really a cool place to live....just cold, overtaxed and locked in by lots of water.

:-) But I'm not complaining. Oh no, not ever. At least there's jetskiing in the summer.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2003 at 5:40am
Lyris and Sophie - That explains why you Michiganites are all huddled in front of your computers!! LOL kidding - I am from sunny Florida, but it's too cold to go outside (can you hear the whine in my voice? ) Yes, i know I need to "shudup, spoiled Florida brat" anyway, I am an Architect and have of late, been calling the girl who does my hair, a hair designer. SHe works in a really upscale salon, so she likes that. I haven't been to her in 6 months as I am trying to grow it out and know she will cut off more than I want her to.
anyway, I digress.

Jacqui
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2003 at 8:50am
In Quebec, I don't know since I don't go.

30 months of freedom, now at 41cm, aiming for I can say safely double that.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2003 at 9:51pm
Hmmm...ok...my mom calls her by her first name as in "I'm going to Kathy's. Everyone knows that means she's getting her hairstlyed, cut,etc. She also uses the term beauty shop.
I use the term stylist and salon.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2003 at 5:30pm
LOL, Hairalways you've got it right about us Michiganders...It is Frigid! But I don't mind it at all. Things don't slow down too much. But if we do get any hibernation time, I don't mind it at all.

Lyris, is younger than I, and I bet she would rather be on a beach .
Kintaro...it must be cold in O'Canada too.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off the thread
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2003 at 7:42pm
Hi Sophie,

As much fun as beaches are...I've lived on one for 22 years and it actually DOES get kinda old....as does the snow :-) But it would sure beat my office day in and day out!
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2003 at 8:02pm
An aesthetician is a person who practices aesthetics. Aesthetics means practicing the care and beautification of the skin of the human body for compensation, including but not limited to cleaning, applying cosmetics, oils lotions, clay, creams, antiseptics, powders, tonics to or massaging, stimulating, wrapping or exercising the skin of the body.
Just FYI

I think most of the people who do things to hair around here are called stylists, although I've heard hairdresser. I don't know from personal experience - I don't go to them!
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic