Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting curls back

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silverscreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverscreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting curls back
    Posted: September 03 2008 at 6:59am

My girlfriend has natural curly hair. She has been straightening her hair quite often and now she's starting to lose her curls.

is there anyway to get it back?

her mum spoke of this coconut oil that would help if applied onto her hair and they sell it in health shops. however, i'm not sure which is the right one

i've seen one in Holland and Barretts but its used as a moisturiser and cooking oil, so am not certain.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2008 at 11:42pm
If you want coconut oil, you can try Beauty Supply Stores they should carry it or try a health food store, you might be able to find more natural/pure coconut oil there.

I have curly hair, but growing up, my mom would always brush out my hair and braid it, thus losing my curls..I had gotten a perm, which brought back my natural curls, had my curls ever since.

Hope this helps
Aphrodiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphrodiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 7:51pm
I see exactly what you mean. I had abused my hair so much that my natural curls are so hard to wake up!
One think I will suggest is to stay away from silicone base products, this will make hair worst! Read the labels for the ingredients, use the internet to research what ingredients are for.
Remember most  "Curly Hair" products normally target girls with soft hair texture.
This is what I am doing and finally my hair is getting back on track:
1. When you shampoo, use a 2 in one shampo/conditioner for DRY/Damage Hair.
2. Condition, Condition, Condition. Use a creamy conditioner for daily use  (made for dry/damage hair) Twice a week I do some deep keratin conditioner  to reconstruct my hair.
3. Use a Leave in Conditioner. Fructis Curl & Shine is the one I've been using until I find a better one.
4. Apply a curl enhancing cream/lotion/gel and let it air dray.
5. Stay away from the heat for a looooong time. Let the curls come back to life.
I would love to recommend a product for your friend's hair but I am still in the search for the perfect one.  A lot of research has been helping me on trying various products, some with no success, others with great success for one day. Once I continue using them it seems the problem get worst or my hair wont like them.

I started making a journal to document my hair changes, and for motivational purposes. I think every girl going through the same hair issues should make a journal, write it down or something. Get to know your hair. And mostly learn to love your hair.

I will post some hair products later that worked for me. If you want to see my progress I invite you to look into my online journal. I only wish I started doing this a long time ago because I have come very far on my researches. My hair now is nothing compare to my hair a month and a half ago. YES, that fast I am seeing some great progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic