Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Split Ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Ends
    Posted: February 18 2003 at 2:45pm
Ok, since this big snow storm dumpped a bunch of snow on WV I've had more time on my hands than I know what to do with. So I've spent my time (some of it anyway) searching for split ends and snipping them. I could not believe the amount of splits that show up when I let my hair air dry without product on it!! I'm really upset over this. Most of the splits are really small, only a few are the monsterous ones, but I'm still traumatized by this. Once I find some splits, I find myself obsessing over them. I'm constantly thinking that my hair is so unhealthy and ready to cut. :( Well, I think I've got myself convience NOT to cut, but I need to do something to keep from getting so many splits in the future. I blow-dry my hair every day (that's a necessity). Other than that, I don't do anything stressful to my hair. Up until the last couple of months I've never noticed many splits, so I guess I need to re-evaluate the products I use. Something must have changed (I'm constantly changing the products I use in search of that "miracle" product). Any ideas or suggestions?? I'm just wondering how all those celeberties keep their hair pretty healthy with all the styling, coloring, etc. they put their hair through.

Thanks for listening.
Becky
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2003 at 6:22pm
Reality to Becky? Becky? are you in there?

Honey -- it sounds like cabin fever, or whatever the equivalent is these days.

Words like traumatized? obsessed? constantly thinking your hair is so unhealthy? all this over split ends? girl - it can't be that bad.

Let's examine the situation - you're bored, so you trim split ends. You probably need a hobby that keeps your hands busy, and off your hair. Okay, so everybody gets the occasional "monsterous" split. It's not the end of the world - snip it and let go.
I'm curious - you say "it's a necessity" to blowdrying every day. Perhaps one of the reasons you're getting more splits is because your hair is so dry from being washed and blowdried every day?
Do you use a leave in conditioner, or jojoba or another oil?
And just so you know - there is no "miracle" product - find products that are gentle to your hair, rather than constantly subjecting your hair to round after round of chemicals....

I would say find something else to do with your hands - needlework, or knitting or something - scissors are not good for your hair when you use words like obsessed.

Something to think about....
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 3:13am
Hi! I agree with Gren...stay away from the scissors! Nothing can wreak havoc on hair like boredom unleashed- turn your efforts somewhere else. As far as your split ends, blowdrying probably has a lot to do with it. Since you said that you've been snowed on, I'm guessing that you have to blowdry it everyday before going out in the cold? (Me too; I live in the frigid world of Chicago, where the name 'Windy City' is more than deserved). First, I'd suggest (I know you don't want to hear it)...getting a little trim, if you think the split ends are bad enough. This is a judgement call, cuz I know a lot of people are hesitant to get a trim cuz they always cut way too much. Either way, try spraying on a leave-in conditioner before you blowdry it (even something cheap like Clairol Daily Defense is good)...I think that they even make special conditioners, etc, just for people who blowdry a lot- never used them myself, but they're worth looking into. Also, try using a finishing gloss when you're all finished and styled- it'll make your hair look shiny and smooth, even if you still have those split ends. I'd suggest Citre-Shine Spray Gloss; I can't say enough good about that stuff!!!
Good luck to ya, and STAY AWAY FROM THE SCISSORS!

Lotsa Love,
Inga :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 1:27pm
While the 4 days I was stuck in the house seemed like a very long time, I wasn't THAT bored. I have a 4 yr old son that kept me on my toes. It's sad to say, but hair is as close to a hobby as I have. I love reading up on products, new hair styles, etc. I just feel that long hair isn't worth having unless it's healthy. I'm working on growing out my hair (at 18", goal 22") and I just don't want it to be unhealthy. I have a woman that I work with that has long hair, but she also has such large splits that you can literally SEE them.

Yes, I do have to dry my hair everyday. If not it gets a little wild on me. I don't think drying it daily is that much of a culprit, I've been doing it for the past 5 yrs. My goal is to have it long enough one day that maybe I could let it air dry, but I just can't do that right now. I use leave-in conditioners and oils, but my routine hasn't been regular lately (which I think is the problem).

Thanks for the replies... I know you think I'm bored since I'm so concerned about split ends, but the truth is I'm a hair nut.... always have been, always will be.

Thanks again.
Susanne Q. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susanne Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 5:12pm
I think boredom can be the number one killer of hair since people tend to color, cut and do all sorts of things when they are bored. I agree, keep your distance from those scissors. :-)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2003 at 1:52am
Becky-
Nothing at all wrong with being a hair nut...that's why we come here to discuss it! I know what you mean about your hair being a hobby. I find it difficult to pass a mirror without looking in it to check my hair or see if there's anything that I can do to make it look better. (OK, it sounds like I'm really vain, but, OK, yeah maybe a little...I'm really paranoid about my hair looking wierd). I actually enjoy playing with it and trying new styles, etc. So, don't worry...we don't think you're wierd or anything :)
Good luck with those split ends!

Lotsa Love,
Inga
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
myhairsux View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myhairsux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 2:25pm
Becky,
I can totally relate to you! I have the same exact problem as you and it seems like most people don't have the same problem or don't care (maybe we ARE just too obsessed?). I have to blowdry everyday, and I know that is bad for it, but it is a must for me too. When I don't put product on and/or air dry...WHOA! I am frightened by all the split ends, I think EVERY hair has a split. Apart from blowdrying, I am very good to my hair. I use great products (at least I think I do)...deep condition, heat protectants, gentle shampoos, etc. I get trims every 6-8 weeks. I cannot help but snip the splits, but it's useless because everyday there are more. By the way, I have a lot regardless of product/no product, etc. I am always looking for the miracle product too, but I'm sure there isn't one. I am with you on the celebrities...how DO they take so much abuse to their hair and have it look so good. However, they all seem to have thick luscious hair and I have thin fine hair. Some things that may help you, even though nothing can truly make splits go away, is Redken anti-snap, and Loreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture conditioner and heat protector leave in. I really like these products even though it doesn't make my splits go away. Nothing but chopping them off will make them disappear, but if you have my hair they just come back! grrrrrr. Sorry this is so long....if anyone has any great ideas, I would love to hear them.
minnesotamommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnesotamommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 9:54am
This post was deleted by HB.com. We do not allow spam or sales/advertising to be posted on our messageboards.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

HB. Admin Team
Thanks for coming by.

www.geocities.com/bottomsupphotos
/main.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic