Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curling hair without heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curling hair without heat
    Posted: September 23 2008 at 4:30pm

hehe HAIRBRAIDER, I will... thanks for the advice!

Good info there KAREN, thanks for the tips.  It's just been so long since I've had to do anything but wash/wear that I'm a bit out of the loop.  The information you gave me is most helpful.  Guess I'll be looking for a new hair dryer soon... something with a COOL setting!Thumbs%20Up
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 9:00am
Originally posted by smilinjenn71 smilinjenn71 wrote:

So, in my new quest for long, healthy hair; I need some tips for styling without heat.  Right now I'm bound to the hair dryer b/c my hair is all over my head if I don't.  As it gets a bit longer, that won't be such a big problem.

I was looking online for curlers and came across "Sassy Curlers."  I will try to insert a link for the product at the end of this post but not making any promises that it will work.LOL

These curlers intrique me and so I wondered if anyone on this board has given them a try?  Also, for styles left down, how do you get volume, curls, waves when you don't use heat?

Thanks!

Hi,

I totally feel your pain.  Giving up my blow dryer was the hardest thing I had to do when I was growing out my hair.  It does make a big difference so hang in there.

As far as the curlers, I have seen them before and they are OK.  They can be a little difficult to use but if they help you stop using your blow dryer, it can be a plus.

While it is good to give up your blow dryer as much as possible, keep in mind that the biggest problem with a blow dryer is not so much the air flow but the heat and using styling tools that can stress hair.

If you can find a blow dryer with a slow air flow that has a cool/cold setting it can actually be OK to use it as long as you use your fingers or some other hair friendly comb when you blow dry.

Also, if you blow dry your hair bent over at the waist, the damage is much less to your hair then if you do like most people and blow dry with the top layers exposed.  They already get exposed to heat and the environment.

Conair has some inexpensive premade rag rollers that would work as well and are recommended for air-drying.  Also, making your own rags can be great as well as setting your hair on old fashioned pin curls.

The new Ion hairdryers, especially if they have a slower air flow and cool/cold setting can be much less damaging for hair.

While air drying is ultimately the least damaging way, it is still possible to get great style without the heat damage.

Let us know how you do on your quest for ditching your blow dryer.  :-)
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 8:36am
I've never seen these before.  I've used something similar, but they weren't foam.  It looks like they'd work well.  I use regular foam rollers on my sister's hair all the time.  These look like they'd give more of a spiral effect.  You just have to be careful not to let the hair get tangled on them.  The foam can sometimes grab the hair like velcro.  Don't get in a hurry and you should be fine.

Let us know if you try them!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Addy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 6:29pm
I've never seen those before! 

They look pretty cool!
smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 4:07pm

So, in my new quest for long, healthy hair; I need some tips for styling without heat.  Right now I'm bound to the hair dryer b/c my hair is all over my head if I don't.  As it gets a bit longer, that won't be such a big problem.

I was looking online for curlers and came across "Sassy Curlers."  I will try to insert a link for the product at the end of this post but not making any promises that it will work.LOL

These curlers intrique me and so I wondered if anyone on this board has given them a try?  Also, for styles left down, how do you get volume, curls, waves when you don't use heat?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic