Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lightening with level 2 colors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hairigoagain View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairigoagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lightening with level 2 colors
    Posted: February 18 2003 at 8:19pm
How much can colors like Casting and Natural Instincts lighten? On the back of the boxes it shows dark blonde going to a kinda light blonde shade? Is that possible with level 2 colors?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2003 at 10:36pm
Hi Hairigo; I don't know what you mean by level 2 colors.

In Colorist Speak a level 2 is a very dark brown, level 1, being black.

But anyway Casting and Natural Instincts are both semi-permanent color. This means deposit only...no lifting or lightening.
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2003 at 11:56am
The little I know from experience is that it will pick up any natural highlights that you have and "brighten" up your hair... Maybe. I say "maybe" because everyone if different, of course, but this is what it does for me. But it won't turn brown hair to blonde.

I have baby fine hair. It's naturally a very light brown or darkish blonde with lots of natural highlights and wisp of gray. When I use the "Sahara" (Natural Instincts) which I think is the lightest blonde they have, my hair comes out brighter, not necessarily blonder. All the gray is blonde though, the highlights are more vivid, and the darker sections have a slight change but not dramatic. It blends the two sections...

Because keep in mind that for the most part I have used a "soft" permanent on my hair so most of the length is colored and already lighter than my natural color. Semis have helped give my hair that boost when it starts looking drab, and I really, really want to wean myself from coloring my hair but I am finding it tough.

A few days ago I caved in and dyed it a golden light brown. I like the depth. My eyes are green and it brings them out. What a change but I think since my roots are closer to this color it'll be able to grow out more un-noticed.

Before I ramble, I will stop. Hope it helped alittle.

wittils
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Scarlet A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2003 at 1:18pm
Hair Color manufacturers use the term level not to mean the shade of the color, but how permanent it is. Level 1 is temporary (six to 12 shampoos), Level 2 (lasts 12-24 shampoos), and Level 3 (permanent). Level 2 has some peroxide so you can make your hair one shade lighter, but no more than that.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2003 at 5:06pm
Thank's Scarlet; I'm not familiar with box color as I said. good to know.

When we refer to levels we are talking about depth of color. 1 being the darkest, and 12 being the lightest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic