Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Oils: What do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 5:11pm
Cyndie

Here is the page with the Avocado oil:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkoil/bulkoil.php

Take care

Uzi
Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 3:46pm
Do the heavy oiling on bone dry hair. That way it won't sit on a layer of water, but will be able to directly and deeply moisturize the hair shaft.

And for heavy oiling, use one of the more penetrative hair oils, like coconut.
Uzi

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 12:08pm
thank you uzma you are always alot of help just one more question so i know what to do. sorry for so many question. when you do the heavy oiling do you do it on wet or dry hair?
Cyn1013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyn1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 9:57am
hi uzi..
i checked out the mountain herb website. i didnt see the avocado oil you suggested.
What is it called??

Thanks!
Cyndie
Cyn1013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyn1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 9:45am
Very pretty Ms. Lyris :)
Love your hair :-)
Cyndie
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 7:18am
Hi Monica

1. how long should you leave them in?
If you are doing a heavy oiling i.e you are saturating the hair with oil, then anywhere from an hour to 24 hours+ is appropriate. Light oilings of the ends can be done a little every day or every other day and be left in until your next scheduled shampoo day.

2. should you shampoo and condion your hair before oiling?
Heavy oilings are done before you shampoo your hair. Light oilings are done after shampoo/conditioning on either damp or dry hair. Experiment to see what suitss you best.

3. do you put your hair up while the oil is in your hair?
Yes - for a heavy oiling. I either put it into a top-knot or a cover it with a muslin scarf to keep it off my face and neck. Not so for light oilings - I wear my hair loose and the oil is indiscernable.

4. is it hard to rinse out the oil in the hair? my mom tried vo5 when she was younger and it made her har greasy and hard to get out.
There are a couple of methods with getting the oil (from a heavy oiling) out of your hair using conventional shampoo.
(a) Apply shampoo on dry hair and then add just enough water to work it into the hair and scalp - then rinse off.
(b) Apply shampoo as per normal - on wet hair. Rinse and repeat.

I would advise you to use a mild shampoo in order not to strip the scalp's natural oils.
However, a moisturising shampoo is not appropriate afetr a heavy oil application as it just won't do the job.

Hope that helps.

Uzi
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2003 at 2:33pm
thank you so much uzma! i have medium texture.
i have a few more questions about the oils if you don't mind. there are
1. how long should you leave them in?
2. should you shampoo and condion your hair before oiling?
3. do you put your hair up while the oil is in your hair?
4. is it hard to rinse out the oil in the hair? my mom tried vo5 when she was younger and it made her har greasy and hard to get out.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2003 at 2:40am
Hi Wittils

If you do try out the Carrot oil, could you please let us know what it's like?

I just wonder if it is very moisturising and what it smells like. Also if it is greasy/sticky/light etc.

Thanks in advance.

Uzi
Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2003 at 2:38am
Hi Monica

Our Karen has written a series on Hair Profiling which should help you work out your hair type. Here are the links:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1471.htm
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1502.htm
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip1484.htm
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip3587.htm

With regard to trying oils, I suggest you start with a small quantity of any basic hair oil, applied very lightly to the last few inches of the ends of your hair.

You need to try a few oils before finding the one that best suits you, so I recommend you buy only small quantities initially. Try Jojoba or Coconut – whichever is easier for you to get hold of locally.

Hope that helps.

Uzi
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2003 at 1:18pm
i want to try some oils but i don't know what would be good for my type of hair. how do you know the type of hair one has? i think it might just be medium. but it might be fine with a lot of hair. i'm just not sure can anyone help me figure it out?
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2003 at 2:01am
I have enjoyed learning about oils and think I will begin my quest to find the one that works for my hair too.

I went into a salon today to have a condition only. The colorist looked at my hair and felt it and stepped out from behind the counter and said save your money, all you need to do is keep the oils on it.

She said wash your hair, condition it and do the cool rinse. Then take about a dime size of oil (your choice) and start at the ends and don't rub but scrunch it into your hair and work your way up. By the time you get to the top you have less oil where you need it less. My hair is slightly wavy so the scrunching helps with the waves. But she told me that scrunching is better than rubbing the hair anyways.

Because my hair is soooo very dry these days she advised using coconut oil, she told me that I could find it at Sally's, and I did. It comes in a jar and is more like a "butter" or dare I say "grease" (butter sounds a little better) anyway... it was only 1.99 for this big jar.

So I am starting that. Daily. For awhile.

She also said oil up at bedtime, or on a day I am just at home around the house. She said once in awhile use my favorite conditioner and saturate my hair, put a plastic wrap over it and leave it on for however long I want. Or heat wrap it.

Just little things like that will make a big difference.

I did try the coconut oil/butter. Now that my hair is not damp anymore it feels soft, and I can definitely see it in my hair. But it doesn't look greasy, just defined and not frizzy dry looking. So far so good.

This will be fun to try all the oils everyone is suggesting!
Thanks for sharing the Mountain Rose Herbs website, Uzma. It's a great site. A good place to begin.

Avacado sounds great, and she also recommended carrot oil. Never heard of it but she said it was one of her favorites and told me to find that at the local healthfood store. So off I go tomorrow.

wittils

Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 10:23pm
Hey everyone!

Thanks for asking about the interview! I think it went well, but I don't want to jinx anything! *Knock on wood*

To answer your question Lyris, I tried something from Sally's called Queen Helene's Jojoba Oil. It wasn't pure jojoba oil though. The main ingredient was an animal oil. Lanolin, I think? I was reading Paula Begoun's book at the time, and I didn't realize lanolin was animal oil. And that grossed me out. But I really liked the oil, so I might get over it. Or I might not. I'm on the fence.

I'm all for animal rights, but on the other hand, the animal was killed for the meat, mainly. The hair oil is just a side product... Which doesn't make it OK, but it somehow eases my conscious.

I dunno. It's late, I'm goin' to bed. :)
I don't mean to start an animal rights debate here!

But another thing, the Sally's oil is cheap! I think it was $4.00 for a 10 oz bottle.

And thanks Uzi! I plan on trying avocado oil, too. Hey, it's a major ingredient in All Soft! Must be good!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 6:48pm
Pretty Lyris!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 1:21pm
Thanks Uzi--unrefined avocado it is!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 1:20pm
Hi SuperGrover

How did the job interview go?
Hope you are smiling when you read this .

Hello Lyris - you stunning beauty!

Hmm - sound like you had a bad time with sticky olive oil. You're not alone.

Grapeseed oil is very light and odourless, as are Almond and Macadamia oils.
I would suggest you try any of the above, but if your hair tends to tangles, then go with unrefined Avocado oil. It is moisturising yet non-greasy and disappears completely into the hair without leaving any stickiness (in my experience).

I have just bought some Wild Rosehip Seed oil and Kukui Nut oil.
Will report back on the results!!

Cheers

Uzi
Uzi

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 11:29am
I'm afraid of having a difficult time getting the oil out of my hair and/or leaving it in tangles, which was the case with olive oil. (That was a disaster!) Any help?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 10:58am
I use a jojoba oil and aloe conditioner on my hair once a week, before I wash my hair. I used to use Vitamin E oil, but have since run out. I'm pretty sure you can get these oils and natural products at Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's.
sheryl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 10:18am
I also use the Mountain Rose Herbs site, great prices, selections and service. I use their Macadamia Nut Oil and Sesame Oil (untoasted). I add some different essential oils to each type and use a small amount on my ends everyday. Once a month I coat my hair heavily, put a plastic cap on and heat it for 20 min. Awesome deep treatment.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 7:37am
Hi Uzi, oh mightly oil expert and goddess, I have a question for you:

I checked the site you suggested and the prices seem very reasonable...and what a selection! Can you suggest the best oil for my hair type? Mine is a little past shoulder length, the last couple inches are fairly dry, I am of European descent and my hair is thick but really heavy products tend to make it look greasy. What is the best oil that won't give me a weighed down look? (I only plan to use oil on the last few inches.) Thanks for your help--I appreciate it!

Oh...addition....I followed Gren's lead and signed up for free image hosting...so here's what my hair looks like: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/210233/film.jpg
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 7:24am
Hey Traci, good luck in your interview! :-) Which of the oils have you used from Sally? I'm going to take the plunge and try some myself now that the humid Michigan summer is coming to wreck my hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic