Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Oils: What do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 9:16pm
Uzma! What a great website! If I weren't trying to save money right now, I'd be all about spending a wad of cash there!
*crossing fingers for Thursday's job interview*

Wow, Turquoise! EVERY day! How long is your hair? Fine or coarse? Is it really dry? My hair is fine, and I have a suspicion too much oil would weigh it down. But maybe I could try using it more often.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 6:31pm
I oil with jojoba daily (from the ears and down). Its made a huge difference in my hair. Next i hope to try sweet almond oil and possibly grapeseed oil.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 3:49pm
Hi Monica and SuperGrover

You can get Avocado oil at http://www.mountainroseherbs.com
(their stuff and their service is brilliant)

I use oils on dry (or almost dry) hair for maximum penetration.
Some folks report that using oils on damp hair locks in moisture.

I guess it's best to try out both and see what suits your particular hair type.

Hi Gren

I have coarse black (and white) hair too, which used to be ultra-dry all the time and kinda wavy/curly/frizzy in parts.
With regular oiling it has straightened up a lot. Not just when it's oiled but when it's freshly washed and naturally dried as well.
I find that strange - but I like it !!!

Happy Sunday to you all

Uzi
Uzi

grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 3:36pm
I oil the last 3 or 4 inches with jojoba when I remember to do it. I was vigilant about doing the ends this winter - now it's not as important, since the heating isn't on.
Like Supergrover, once every couple of weeks, I oil the length of my hair on Friday evening after work, do whatever, sleep, re-oil on Saturday, take care of errands, shopping, whatever, oil again on Saturday night and let it all soak in. Wash out on Sunday evenings.

My hair is very coarse textured, and with oil it seems sleeker and smoother.
I am about to go back to a blend of oils that I get from WalMart called Africa's Best - it's very light for summertime use, and much less expensive than jojoba.

Cheers!
Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 2:14pm
Thanks Uzi, for posting this topic. I had considered the same, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

And Monica, I had the same question! I don't know where to buy plain oils. Just the mixed kinds they have at Sally's.

I use jojoba oil on my hair, about once a month. I often don't go out much on weekends, especially in winter, so I'll just put it in on Friday night, and wash it out Sunday evening! Somehow, it doesn't transfer onto my pillow. Even though my whole head is covered, it's just like my hair is really naturally greasy. It isn't gross or any inconvenience. I even run out to the store sometimes with it in. (Hey why not, we don't know anyone in this town! No... I probably wouldn't do this in my hometown. :) )

Ahem... anyway. Jojoba Oil is in the natural products / health food section of a supermarket near me. (It's Shaw's, for those of you who live in the Northeast... while I don't like anything else about Shaw's, they do have a much better natural section than any other northeast chain.) Unfortunately, Shaw's doesn't seem to have any other oils. Or if they do, they're not with the beauty care section like the jojoba is.

Jojoba really helps when my hair is really dry and keeps getting tangled. It makes it right again. :)

It's like $7 for a 2oz bottle, which is good for like 4 or 5 whole-head uses.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 11:14am
uzma where do you find avacado oil? do you use it on wet or dry hair?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 9:25am
Hi Everyone

Just wondering what oils you like to use on your hair and why?
Also, how and when do you use them?

Personally, I use avocado oil 5 days a week because I find it moistures the hair very deeply, without a greasy residue. I use about a half teaspoon of oil and rub it on my palms and then slide it onto the length of the hair that is below ear-length. It sinks right in and makes the hair soft.

At the weekend, I will use coconut oil for a heavy overnight oiling. This oil gives the hair a thorough pre-wash conditioning and I feel that it strengthens the strands with long-term use. I use about a tablespoon of the oil and work it into scalp and hair and then go to sleep with a big towel on my pillow.

Please share your oiling preference and methods.

Thanks

Uzma
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic