Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting rid of gold tones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting rid of gold tones
    Posted: September 28 2008 at 8:05pm
a few weeks ago I used a semi-perm, ash, light brown.  my hair came out fairly dark.  I was hoping to get rid of the golds tones left in my hair from years of coloring red and purple.  now that my color has faded I see a lot of gold tones

what should I use to get rid of the gold?  I would LOVE to have a nice light brown non-gold hair
I used an ash, so I was surprised to see so much gold - ash gets rid of gold correct?

should I use a perm color instead of a semi-perm?  does it matter that I used a box color  - Natural Instincts - over going to Sally's to buy the stuff separate?  I'm trying to avoid damaging my hair so I would like to stick with a semi

another quick question:  would I get lighter results if I used a dark blonde ash? 

thanks

I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
Sophia1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 9:20pm
Hi Likealime- Yes it could be the color buildup which caused your semi to be off-color.

First off I would wait a couple of weeks until this semi has totally washed out. The last thing you need is to put another semi on top of one that is still there.....Then I would try another line of semi color in ash brown, maybe from sally's. I have found not all semis are created equal, and I never had much success with Natural Instincts either when I used it. Perhaps even a demi ( sorta between a semi and a permanent ) might give you the color you want, and is less harsh. Just ask the clerk to suggest a good demi.

I am not sure about the dark ash blonde, because the blonde might actually accentuate the gold tones in your hair, you might be better off sticking with a brown color.

If you still can't get what you want, I am afraid you may have to use a permenent color in ash brown. Since it's stronger and penetrates the hair, you have a better chance of getting rid of the gold. Any other suggestions out there ?
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 8:57am
Your best bet, is getting a colour with matt ( green tone) to cancel out the warmth. I agree, that ash is a cool tone and should have canceled out your warmth, but as you said a build up of reds, golds and purples, is not as easy to try cancel out. Or you could use a colour remover or a bleach shampoo, which will remove the colours you have on your hair, dry then use your semi after your bleach shampoo, and plenty of conditioner.

What us girls go through to have perfect hair, eh girls, lol

Karen;)
karen sanderson
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 3:49pm
wow!  thanks for responding so quickly =)

I am going to wait out the semi.  I've been gold this long, what's another few weeks

I used to go to my sister-in-law (licensed stylist) and she never quite would answer all my questions.  she *hates* doing my hair something fierce!  my hair requires three bottles of dye to color.  I'm so frustrated sometimes.  every time I've asked her to color my hair, she requests we use box color.  is that kinda weird?
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 9:13am
Well, I take it you have long thick hair, hence the 3 bottles of colour, lol
karen sanderson
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 10:28am
I wonder why a licensed stylist would want to use boxed color, since she probably already owns a big ole bottle of developer and it's cheaper to just buy bottles of color at Sally than boxed sets.  Even money aside, you'd still get more reliable results from a color which has the base shade written on it (boxed colors don't, beauty supply stuff does).  So, you've got me on why she'd want you to use boxed.  I'd ask.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 12:46pm
Hi! Natural Instincts is a pretty good 'demi' colour in that it uses a low peroxide to colour. But, it still uses peroxide and this is likely where you get the gold tones. Every time you go over your hair with a peroxide-based colour (demi), it will affect your underlying pigment and lighten it, even if it looks darker at first. Then, as it washes off, it fades to gold. The trick would be to find a 'semi' colour that uses NO peroxide and leave it to process for a looooong time. If you do this several times, it will stick and you won't see the fading. You have to remember that dying and re-dying hair (even when it's dark colour) damages the hair and leaves it porous, so the colour comes out dark, but then fades quickly and brassy. HTH!Smile
Love clip-ins and tape!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

I wonder why a licensed stylist would want to use boxed color, since she probably already owns a big ole bottle of developer and it's cheaper to just buy bottles of color at Sally than boxed sets.  Even money aside, you'd still get more reliable results from a color which has the base shade written on it (boxed colors don't, beauty supply stuff does).  So, you've got me on why she'd want you to use boxed.  I'd ask.

Hi Susan,

Maybe it was a bottle that you put the semi colour into, so that applying the semi can be done a little easier. We use them in our salon, we either apply the semi with a bottle applicator or with a tint bowl and brush.

Then maybe I am wrong, lol, if so my apologies Susan.

KarenLOL
karen sanderson
Sophia1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophia1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 8:38pm
I agree with Fakeizme, maybe a simple no-chemical semi would work for you.

It's always a delicate balance between pouring more chemicals on your hair versus trying something more gentle first. I have done this on many occasions, using a gentle semi several times a week and yes, it's a pain, but you will be more impressed with how healthy your hair will be.  Sometimes it's worth it. 

I would try that first, then maybe move onto the color remover or bleach shampoo.  These are all excellent suggestions  !
nycolorist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycolorist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 3:00pm
"You would LOVE to have nice light brown non-gold hair"

The problem is that there is no way around this using a semi permanent color without going darker.Even then you will always have warmth to your hair. By using a violet base you can cancel out yellow tones this is true, but what is violet? = Red + blue. by using a blue base you will be able to cancel out orange, but what is orange? Yellow+Red.Ok what about a green base?Green cancels of red right? true but what is green? yellow+ blue.I'snt yellow what u are trying to cancel out in the first place.hum.So no matter how you slice it you will still have some sort of warmth.But dont dismay.there is still something you can do about it.What? you say.Make the gold you see a tan or beige, camel color.how? maybe add some  highlights.
Big%20smile 
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 12:16pm
^^^neutralLOL  Yep, my head is spinning!!LOL  NYColorist knows her colour wheel! So true about all the different pigments. Depending on what level you are naturally, it can be almost impossible to resist warmth EVEN with all the ash in the world! Ugggh.
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic