Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WEN: Reviews? Discounts? Knock-Offs? Alternatives?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WEN: Reviews? Discounts? Knock-Offs? Alternatives?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AdamOnDemand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamOnDemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WEN: Reviews? Discounts? Knock-Offs? Alternatives?
    Posted: September 29 2008 at 2:33pm
I've just learned about WEN hair care products.  I'm very curious. 

I'm a guy about 40 who has allowed my hair to grow long (shoulder length) for the first time, and am having to educate myself on how to care for and manage long men's hair. 

Mine happens to be very soft, with ultra-fine chestnut colored hair strands, tending toward wavy.  It also tends toward frizzy. 

I've also always suffered from dandruff when my hair has been more than buzzcut long, but have recently discovered that if I don't use shampoo, my dandruff tends to go away. 

I'm on an as natural as possible kick.  I've recently discovered conditioner washing, which is great, but you've got to make sure to use a natural conditioner that doesn't leave a build up (like those with micro crystalline wax, etc.) 

So, for all these reasons, WEN seems to be fascinating. 

But, I'd love to see reviews from men who've tried/used it.

Can it be bought at discount?

Are there any good substitutes or knock-offs?

LavenderPink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LavenderPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2008 at 1:09am
which wen cleansing conditioner do you use? I love that cucumber aloe one, but dont use it daily due to the costs of it, it works fantastic !!! I love it, but the price kills me!!! LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamOnDemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 4:16pm
At the moment, I'm just using Kirkland conditioner (the in-house brand at Costco), which, from it's ingredient list, seems like a fairly close cousin to Aveda products, at a small fraction of the cost.

I'm curious about Wen, which is why I'm asking, but have not yet tried their stuff.

Edited by AdamOnDemand - October 22 2008 at 4:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LavenderPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 8:08pm
hi adam, I love that cucumber aloe cleansing one, best bet is to check out  there web site at .:: Chaz Dean Studio ::. Categories-- he has many web sites, and his cucumber one is fantastic for fine to medium hair like mines, I have tried the others in the 16oz sizes but none compare to the aloe cucumber one is my tops, give it a shot let us know how you like it, plus they dont give discounts sorry!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LavenderPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 12:23am
I just ordered the tea tree 16oz to see how this one does for my hair, but I still love my cucumber aloe one!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamOnDemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 12:33am
I'll probably buy some within the next month or two to do my own test. Thanks for the feedback.  By the way, you said "give it a shot and let us know how you like it."  Who is us?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LavenderPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2008 at 1:09am
everyone here in hair boutique, so we can hear more reviews, aloha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamOnDemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 1:54pm
I did get the Wen Cucumber Aloe cleansing conditioner and have used it for three days.

Here's my early report from day three:

I'm very impressed thus far, although my hair is clearly still a work in progress.  I need more guidance, help.

I've used the cleansing conditioner to clean my hair as directed, and then a few pumps as leave in conditioner.  I've either combed my hair with a part and let it hang to dry naturally, or done similar, but tied it in a small pony tail, let it dry for a few hours, then combed it out.  While I liked the rich, soft quality of my hair, I still noticed some frizzing in the back, and a fly away quality.  While I wonder whether that will go away after a week or two of using the product, I needed immediate help, and so added about 1/8 teaspoon of lanolin to the leave in conditioner, which has helped a lot, although it can also have a heavy quality.  I'll have to experiment over the next few weeks.    I wonder about the other Wen styling products and how they might help.

Background: My hair, itself, is in excellent condition.  In the last year since allowing it to grow out, I've rarely used any hair dryers, and no coloring or harsh treatments, and haven't even been in the sea or sun that much.  But, it's very fine, light, and prone to being a bit frizzed, fly away, and too much of certain products quickly make it look oily, soggy.  I use gentle shampoos, good conditioners, and usually a dab of lanolin.  I've been using L'Oreal Lumiere pommade (? I think that's it - given me by mom) recently, which is good but not quite there.

I THINK WHAT I COULD USE IS some time with someone in NYC who knows men's long hair, particularly what I'm going for: as natural as possible, naturally drying, neo-romantic (era, as in late 18th, early 19th C) hair that I can wear with a suit and tie during the day to do my new media industry work, and look hip, youthful, cutting edge, but still business like.  And then get a bit more wild after work and on weekends.  So far the haircare pro's I've talked to all told me to cut it and go for a Patrick Dempsey look, but that may be a fallback position if I just can't get the long hair look to work.

And, of course, this being a depression and I being involved in a start up with little money, I need to do this on a lean budget.

Any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic