Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter No "heat" Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 12:16pm
I have never been good at buns.  I need to buy one of those foam ones and give it a try. 
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 12:05pm
Hang in there...
Let's see theres different things you can try, like protective styles, some people get weaves (if I had the money I would, theres some cute styles I like LOL), you can try wearing wigs you can have straight, curly, long, short hair without cutting or touching your own, or half wigs, there's phony ponys/buns or wearing your hair in buns if its long enough, when I'm home, my hair is pretty much clipped up in a claw clip all day or wrapped up under a scarf
There's also straw sets, roller sets, braids...
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2008 at 11:27am
This is getting difficult.  And I haven't even made it out of October yet.  But I did discover something wonderful.  Okay, I didn't discover it as much as people told me about it, but I love moisturizing my hair with spring water and sealing it with shea & coconut oil.  It is so yummy for the hair.  Now If only I can think of other creative "no heat" styles. 
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 4:34pm
Thanks, I'll give that a try the nex time I wanna go straight
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2008 at 12:48pm

Depending on how short your hair is, a method that always works for me is this.

After you shower comb your hair completely back.
Make sure it isnt soaking wet though, just dry your head a much as possible with a towel.
after you comb it all back,ad hairspray to it and use your palms to decrease the moisture from the spray.
Make sure its a slicked back as tight as you can possibly make it.

(You should preferably shower before you go to bed so that the process wont drag on.)

Once your hair is all slicked back tie your hair down and go to sleep.
The next morning when you wake up, take the cap off and brush your hair forward, or down, or however you regularly style it, and there you go, your hair is flat and straight.

HTH

Edited by Vanity3 - October 08 2008 at 12:49pm
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 4:44pm
Yes it is! My hair is curly and doesn't like ta go straight or stay straight fa nothing!  I brushed & I brushed and tha tops straight (for tha most part) and tha ends have a lil wave/curl to them but its tha best I can do without heat

Edited by _Princess_ - October 07 2008 at 4:44pm
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 4:08pm
it is so hard isn't it?  I think my hair is easier to deal with when it it flat ironed, but i know it isn't at it's healthiest. Lawd, it is only October.  I gotta man up so I can do this until March Stern%20Smile
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 3:14pm
I'm fightin' the urge right to straighten right now ..I'm determined to get my hair straight using this round brush
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2008 at 11:57am
LOL I am as well...I jus wanna see how long my hair is/looks when fully straight...I can twist & brush it out all I want but my hair doesn't get fully straight nor stays straight fa long
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 10:39am
Originally posted by _Princess_ _Princess_ wrote:

What methods of drying/styling are you using instead of heat? Like air-drying instead of using a dryer, using rollers for curls instead of a curling iron, etc.?

That is exactly right.  So far, I'm kinda into week 2 of this challenge, and I'm already itching to use a flat iron LOL
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 9:25am
I'll join. I never use heat on my hair since I've had dreadlocks. My biggest thing right now is keeping my hair moisturized.

He have a challenge going on at another forum. I love challenges! My next goal is to get my hair to all go in one. :)
Welcome to My World! Beauty Tips for Black Women
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 9:22pm

What methods of drying/styling are you using instead of heat? Like air-drying instead of using a dryer, using rollers for curls instead of a curling iron, etc.?

Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 9:57pm
Glad to have you are on board Princess.  I could use the encouragement.  And I'll support you as well. 
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 9:11pm
I'm in...for sitting under the dryer you'd have to limit it..I don't use dryers even in tha cold. I get bored with my hair very quick and get tempted to straighten it with a flat iron (as I am now) or use a curin' iron to do something with what I have.
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 6:30am
I'm going to try to survive until March 2009 without using direct heat in my hair. That means no flat ironing. No blow drying. At most, roller sets, twist outs and braid outs. I think I have to be able to sit under a dryer, at least.  Is that fair?  Who is in this with me.  Lawd knows I'm going to need the help.  So anyone who thinks they can do it, or has already being living the no heat life, join in the challenge.  And when I say challenge, I mean this will be a challenge for me. Cry   I've already started an album in my fotki, so I am commited, or I should be committed for attempting this. whacky

Edited by Vanity3 - October 02 2008 at 6:44am
Natural since March 2006

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic