Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing Hair out - SMILINJENN71 Hair Journal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
smilinjenn71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing Hair out - SMILINJENN71 Hair Journal
    Posted: October 10 2008 at 3:05pm
Here's the dill pickles!  I didn't think I would be journaling/blogging about my hair journey but I find myself doing just that!  So I'm trying to insert a link here where I started in a different section of the site.

Let's see if this link works.....

Edited by smilinjenn71 - October 11 2008 at 12:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 5:59pm
Currently, I have a head full of Hendigo/amla.  Ask me if I'm nervous yet??? lol
I told my co-workers today that if I call in sick tomorrow, they will know something went horribly wrong.

I did a strand test about 3 weeks ago and waited to see how it oxidized, so I'm confident all will be well.  It's about 6:52 and I should be rinsing around 8:30 or so.  CNN is going strong as myself and my hubby are watching how the 2008 Election turns out.  Speaking of hubby, I had him put the Hendigo on my head in the back where I couldn't see... much to his dismay.  While he was kind enough to help me out, he kept saying he didn't know if he was doing it right.  So it will be interesting to see if I have multi-colored hair in a few hours.

I took a couple of pics of my hair last weekend and plan on taking pics tonight, 24-48-72 hours later.  It should be closer to brown than red but I know the grey strands will pick up more Henna and have to oxidize.

I have to say it's an interesting thing; putting Henna in your hair.  Perhaps I mixed it a bit too thick but I didn't want it dripping all over the place during the 3 hrs it's in my hair.  It's been 1 1/2 hrs and so far, no dripping.

Pics will most likely be posted this coming Fri. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Jenn

Edited by smilinjenn71 - November 04 2008 at 8:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 8:31pm
I think I am IN LOVE!  Henna turned out exactly the way I wanted and I can't wait to post pics this weekend....wooohoooooooooooo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 6:35am
OK, so here are some before/after Hendigo with amla.  I tried to upload a closeup of my roots - before -  but apparently the file size is too big.  So, the first pic is before Hendigo and the others are after.  The closeup was taken in our bathroom where the light is quite a bit brighter.  As with most Henna-heads, the color changes based on the light available.  Mine is true of that as well.

Edited by smilinjenn71 - November 06 2008 at 6:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 2:46pm
Well, basically... my hair is driving ME NUTS! (that's a short trip -BTW) This seems to be an issue over the past few days/week. For whatever reason, it's decided not to hold curl. I don't use a curling iron because I'm trying not to use anymore heat than I have to. It's bad enough that I have to use a hair dryer. Otherwise, it would be limp and lifeless all day. As a professional, I can't really just let it go au naturale.

I'm not sure if the culprit is Henna because it's SO conditioning ... OR if it's the cones in my heat protecting product. I have washed it twice this week with Suave Clarifying shampoo but I also conditioned right after. Therefore, perhaps I undid everything the clarifying shampoo did...haha. Tomorrow morning I'm going to wash with the clarifying shampoo and not condition. It will be interesting to see how it behaves for work in the morning.

Also, I don't think I posted this before but I've been using Monistat on my scalp now for about 6 weeks. In that amount of time, my growth has doubled. I went from 3 1/4" to 4 1/2" in 6 weeks! I use it 3-4 times a week and plan on continuing this therapy for several more months. I'm hoping with quicker growth, I will be less tempted to whack my hair off again!
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 10:25pm
Looking good. I hope you do keep away from anything to cut it with. Please keep up posted. Thank you.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 7:40pm
Thank you for the encouragement MIKE!  I should have posted this pic the other day but didn't think of it.

Hubby took this pic on Nov.23rd.  I can see it's growing but I'll have to get it trimmed up a little next week or I'm going to have that mullet effect....EEKS!

Edited by smilinjenn71 - November 26 2008 at 7:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 2:29pm

I got my hair trimmed today.  As it turned out, my regular guy's father is in the hospitalUnhappy, so I had to get it trimmed by someone else.  I keep hearing all these nightmares by stylists but I haven't experienced that .... yet.  I was very clear with her that I am growing out a pixie cut - John and I decided to just dust the ends every 8 weeks to even up razored layers.  Also, I wanted about 1/2 inch taken off the length in the back b/c it was beginning to look like a mullet. Confused

She did EXACTLY what I asked.  I was soooo happy.  Although, she didn't really know how to style my hair.  I ended up putting a couple of clips in the front so it wouldn't look so icky as I ran errands today.  On the whole though, I'm very happy about my trim and since it had grown 1 1/2 inches over the past 9 weeks, I didn't sacrifice all the growing I had done.

Edited by smilinjenn71 - December 05 2008 at 2:36pm
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2008 at 3:13pm
Thats great Jenn! Sounds like you have a good plan. Happy Growing!
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 11:57am
If you keep that rate up you will have 3 inches every 18 weeks. Not bad at all. So do you have a mini goal in mine?
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

If you keep that rate up you will have 3 inches every 18 weeks. Not bad at all. So do you have a mini goal in mine?

That would be awesome!  Hmmm, let's see.  I think I will shoot for touching shoulders first.  Maybe that's too far out - I dunno - hopefully not!Tongue
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 12:28am
There you go. Keep it small.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 1:36am
Boy,your hair does seem to grow fast! Why do you use monistat though? Does that really help,and why? If you dont want to write it in your journal could you pm me about it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 3:28pm

Well, I was going to upload a new pic for Dec but the file uploader isn't behaving.  Guess I'll visit another day....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 7:42pm

Edited by smilinjenn71 - January 13 2009 at 7:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 7:45pm
Apparently I'm having issues...LOL!  I got the pic posted but couldn't get the text to go in the post. UGH!

So, here you can see when I got the 1/2" trimmed up in the back, it helped to even things out a bit.  It looks more full across the back.  There's quite a difference between this pic and Nov '08 pic.

This pic was w/a flash.  Shows off the Hendigo quite well.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 7:27am
Wow, your hair is really taking on a whole new look. You have gotten rid of alot of layers. Congrats, Keep Growing!!! The color is realy pretty too!
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:41pm
Looking good you should be soon hitting your shoulders. Good luck.
shortvslong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortvslong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:21am
your hair looks great in every pic! short hair works for you so I'm interested to see your final result

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smilinjenn71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:12am
Thank you PAPER, MIKE and SHORTYSLONG.  I'm excited about how it's growing and getting to the place where I don't want to trim/cut anymore layers.  Unfortunately, I know there will be some of that in my future to avoid the mullet.  However, I'm considering not taking any length off in a couple of weeks, at my next trim appt.  We'll see what my stylist thinks... if I'll grow into a mullet before the next trim or not.  He's so great about just dusting off the ends!!

SHORTYSLONG, funny enough, I'm interested to see the final result too.  When I had long hair before, it was permed and hot rollered to DEATH! lol  This time around, I'm definitely not perming my hair and once the length is managable without a hair dryer, I'll stop using it too. (or only use it for root lift - let the rest air dry)  That will be a totally different look for me.  I'll try to find an old pic with the perm/curled hair!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic