Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are 2-in-1 shampoos bad for you???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are 2-in-1 shampoos bad for you???
    Posted: April 06 2003 at 5:59pm
Regarding acne and hair products: I noticed that if I have a good amount of leave-in conditioner in my hair, or a build-up of hair products in general, I get pimples unless I am very careful to keep my hair off of my face during the day and at night. That includes sleeping in a ponytail with all of the little layered pieces securely fastened down with clips.

2-in-ones, in my experiences, don't rinse all that well and often leave behind the feeling of excess product. I know that this leaves my skin vulnerable to pimples if my hair is touching my face during the day or at night. So perhaps this type of thing contributes to the acne problem being described in this thread. Just a thought.
[/url]

Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 4:03pm
Personally, I don't really like 2-in-1 shampoos because they make my hair flat and tangle more.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 8:16am
the magazine did not metion it. the dermatolgist in it who said about this 2 in 1 causes acne, just ask if the patient uses 2 in 1. some said yes, so he told them to stop using it and their pimples were gone. i mean if you are not getting any breakout in any type of shampoo i guess you are not allergic to it in anyway.
ARGHH
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:10am
What is it, and is it present in every 2-in-1?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 8:23pm
yes true. there is a ingredient in the 2 in 1 that causes acne to some people. but i forgot.
ARGHH
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 7:10am
Yes, but saying that "two-in-ones" can "cause acne" is clearly a blanket statement, because two-in-ones are vastly different between lines. That's like saying "I'm allergic to spice," when actually it's only nutmeg that causes a problem. Bad analogy, yes, but it holds. If you could point to a specific ingredient, such a cyclomethicone, that caused breakouts than the argument would bear more weight.

And of COURSE no hard feelings! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2003 at 9:29pm
Well actually all that acne with 2 in 1 shampoo is not that quack. Scalp is also skin a part of your face. chemicals will get absorb and some people will get a certain reaction. Come Lyris youre a veteran member, why dou you think that one needs to take allegic patch test before colouring. to check for allergic reaction. My face is clear, so is my friends and countless of others who followed this advice. But like I said ONLY SOME PEOPLE have this allergic reaction. No hard feelings though ok. Just pointing my views out
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 7:25am
I'm not sure I understand how something you put on your hair/scalp could cause acne on your face. Plus, all two-in-ones are different, so how can someone say they will ALL cause acne? That's like saying all dogs are big when in fact a Jack Russell terrier looks nothing like a St. Bernard. I can understand if this person argued that a specific ingredient could have adverse effects, but otherwise that doctor's comments sound suspiciously like a blanket statement.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 9:17pm
Well i read in a magazine once that 2 in 1 shampoo can cause acne. This is told by a dermatologist. He said there an ingredient in the 2 in 1 that agrivates acne. But if you have a clear face when using the product i guess there is no reason not to switch. But heck since i learned about this i stop using i am not going to take any risks. ok
ARGHH
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 7:43am
Oh okay, I guess I have to then :-)

Sophie is exactly right about shampoo vs. conditioner. Shampoos are designed to clean your hair, so any conditioning agents they contain don't stand much of a chance of clinging to the hair shaft, which is necessary to create a conditioned effect. Plus, most people don't leave a shampoo lather on their heads long enough to allow the agents to coat the hair shaft.

Two-in-ones are basically shampoos with a lot of silicone derivatives; hence, you could call most Pantene shampoos two-in-ones.

Based upon what I've read and personal experience, two-in-ones are good for people who really and truly have low-maintenance hair. Guys (or gals) with extremely short hair or those that need no additional moisture are the best candidates. Most others would probably benefit from a shampoo with few to no conditioning agents and a daily conditioner.

However if you're using a two-in-one and like it, I see no reason to discontinue use. There's nothing inherently bad about these products--they just aren't designed for every head of hair.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 7:17am
Mara, I hope that Lyris will weigh in on this one.

I don't know what is in this product...but personally my first thought is...that shampoo performs a different function than conditioner. What do you think? How is it working for you??

I personaslly can't stand the perfumes in the product.
Mara J View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mara J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2003 at 5:15pm
Are 2-in-1 shampoos bad for you???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic