Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

normal sissors vs. hair sissors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: normal sissors vs. hair sissors
    Posted: March 28 2003 at 3:35pm
Does anyone know if cutting your hair with normal sissors causes split ends? Some people have told me that you have to go out and buy those expensive hair sissors because sissors from Staples or somewhere could cause damage or create split ends. Is this true?
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 8:03pm
This is true and this is why professionals use the best, or should be using the best.

The salon scissors cut clean, the hair doesn't slide away as you cut it. I hate that because it messes up the line.

Anyway, with the salon scissors the hair is cut, not bent or frayed or... well, have you ever been cutting your hair and it takes two or three "chomps" before it makes a cut. That is very bad for the hair.

I invested in a brand called Eclipse. They are great. The cutting edge is very sharp and I only use them for hair. I have known professionals who are so fussy about their scissors, they dare not drop them because then the blades separate enough to not cut the hair properly. That might also tell you the importance of a good pair of scissors.

Hope this helps.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 9:07pm
CHOMP, the ends...I love that, Wittles..

My current pair of sheers have, Cobalt Blades....So they don't dull (I haven't had them sharpened yet and they are over a year old).....with Aluminum handles...so they are very light and they literally FLY through the hair. They cost me over $300.00, but well worth it...no chomping ends or pushing hair. Not only does it save me time but it saves my wrists.

I love that. But by god if you slice yourself or a client with them you will be bleeding...
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 9:51pm
Hey, I love "chomp "too.
Here is a visual.......imagine your hair under a microscope....cut with bad scissors will look like a new tube of lipstick...ya know the tube with a slant on the end. Cut with good scissors will look like a fresh tube of chapstick....straight across. The bad scissors create the slant that leaves more open ends of cuticles so they have more of a chance of splitting. Straight across seals them.

I hope this helps
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 11:02pm
So, when I'm sitting at my desk at work, and I look down, and I see this hair with a NASTY split end on it... (We're talking a bad one) you're saying I shouldn't use my desk scissors to cut it off?

How about my Conair Hair Shears? Are you going to tell me those aren't much better than the desk scissors?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:12pm
Don't mind me if I butt in here =).

I believe the point is the sharper scissors are, the better and more cleanly they cut the hair. Store bought scissors and other scissors can be less sharp and precise, so they will either break hair off at the point of "cutting" or will cut the hair at an angle, and it will be more likely to split. So the main point is, if you want your ends to be very clean, use "hair" scissors that are not used for any other purpose. Personally, I occasionally use my own regular scissors to cut off split ends (one at a time) because I have this idea in my head that the less damaged ends I have, the easier it will be to brush through my hair, and the less time and product it will take to "fix" it.

Probably the absolute worst you could do to your ends would be to use those dull "kid-safe" blades with rounded ends, the ones we used to use in elementary school that sometimes wouldn't even cut paper ;-). But in the long run, cutting off damaged ends with sub-standard blades probably just leaves another vulnerable end. Hope this has helped.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2003 at 2:58pm
So how do you know if your hair dresser is using sharp scissors?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 11:08pm
That's like asking "is the carpenter using a hammer or a frying pan." The right tool for the right job.

It's their livelihood and they are professionals. They use the best of everything... I should hope. I can't see a secretary using hair scissors and a stylist using desk scissors.

I guess they learn that in beauty school. Lesson #1.

When you go into a salon, take a peek and take note of the tools. If they look like they came out of a kindergarten class leave immediately.

Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic