Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get spiky hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pixy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get spiky hair?
    Posted: April 05 2003 at 5:04pm
Hey... now i know this might sound odd to do, but my brother did it so i know for a fact it can give u the spikes u want. He took a wet bar of soap to his slightly damp hair and just rubbed the soap all in it. Although if u put too much in it can make flakes of soap later in the day. But after the soap he spiked it then hair sprayed it. And it does wash out easily....LOL
But if ur not into that approach, which i wouldnt be either! theres a gel u can use that is made just for spiking hair. Its called ICE Spiker, and they make it in either colored or clear gel. They can be bought at salons, i dont know if u have a Super Cuts place where ur at, but if you do they definitly have them there.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2003 at 5:17pm
Hi Jam,

I email you separately but I am posting my answer here to help others..................

As far as spikes go...there are some tricks. There is an art to spikes but the good news is that with a little practice anyone can master them. :-)

First you have to make sure that your hair is cut in short enough layers to get lift to the root. Hair that is heavy or too long will not stay up, no
matter how much gel you put on it.

Second, you need to make sure that you avoid using rinse out or leave in conditioners or shampoo that makes your hair too soft. Softness is the
enemy of spikes.

If you have the right layered cut for spikes and you avoid making your hair too soft when you shampoo then you are ready to spike it.

1. After you shampoo towel blot your hair and then apply a root lifter product like Matrix Amplify gel or PhytoVolume Actif or a product at the
grocery store that advertises root lift. Apply just a little to just the root area.
2. Use a blow dryer and direct the flow of the air from the ends of the hair down towards the roots. This is a different direction than most people
recommend but you are trying to get good spikes not add shine.
3. Use a pick or wide tooth comb to lift and separate the hair as you blow dry. You can also use fingers.
4. Once your hair is completely dry, if your roots still seem a little soft then use a comb or toothbrush and light tease or backcomb the roots. This will help that have a strong foundation to hold the spikes. Smooth the teased roots slightly.
5. Apply a light coating of a really strong gel to your fingers and lightly apply from about 1/2" from the roots up a 1-2 inch strand to the ends. (Dep
or LA Looks in the strongest holding formula).
6. As you apply the gel slightly twist the strand to give them more spike.
7. You can make the spiked strands thicker or thinner but if they are too thick they lose their spikes. Thinner is better. If you notice, some of
the best spikes have thin ends.
8. Let the gel dry and then if the spikes aren't strong enough to your taste apply more gel. You can also spot apply gel depending on where the
strand is weakest.
9. After you have the strands spiked to your liking and the gel has dried, spray your entire head with a very firm hairspray. Yes I said hairspray.
This is another secret. People use hairspray for extra hold.

One thing to remember...once you start using all the gel and hairspray you will have to use a good clarifying shampoo on your hair about one time a
week to remove the buildup or eventually your hair will stop spiking because of too much product buildup.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2003 at 1:53pm
Can someone pleeease tell me how I get spiky hair!?

I normally just use gel and my fingers - but I don't always get the results I want. And if my hair is too long... then i might as well forget it!

I must be doing something wrong?
Should I be using a special comb or somethng?

Any help/tips/sympathy would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic