Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home coloring professionally colored hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sanfran_fem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanfran_fem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home coloring professionally colored hair
    Posted: November 30 2008 at 4:10pm
I'm broke and can't afford $150-$250 anymore to get my hair done at a salon here in San Francisco. Currently it is 2 colors - dark red and dark brown (I'd say close to a level 2).  My natural color is light brown (I'd say about a 5-6) but I have a ton of gray.  Currently my roots are grown out about 6 weeks.  I have very thin, fine curly hair and don't have much of it.

I need help. A friend and I are going to do it ourselves. I plan on going out and buying perm color and mixing the peroxide on my own.

To make live easier going forward, I was thinking we should try to get it all to 1 color, but the colors I love are all reds and don't hold well at all in my hair.

So I need help in understanding:

1) Whose products are the best for doing this (and I don't mean in a box)
2) What levels should I be looking at?
3) What level peroxide am I going to need?
4) Should we just try and find the colors closest to what I have now and try foiling the dark brown and using the red on the rest?
5) How should the roots get done...since they are now gray and grown out, if we go to a single color that doesn't match anything on my head now and we put that on the roots for a while before running it through the rest of the head, I am going to look like a total freak

Any and all advice would be most appreciated. 

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2008 at 3:21pm
If you are going with professional colours, Wella have a great range of browns, with red tones, the only thing with red tones etc, red fades pretty quick. Use 20 vol to deposit colour. Do your ends and middle lengths first, and roots last.

If you are looking for a fashion red, again Wella have a good product called Magma, it lifts and deposits at the same time ( no need to pre lighten hair) Schwartzkopf have a great colour range too.
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic