Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - who is more important? You or people around you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who is more important? You or people around you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who is more important? You or people around you?
    Posted: April 28 2003 at 11:46am
"Unfortunately, non-conformists don't generally get too far up the corporate ladder (if that happens to be your goal). I imagine there are a few exceptions but I think those guys ended up owning the corporation. The vast majority of us have to conform to succeed."

I run from the corporate world screaming all the
way! Anyway, people should try and fight for
greater rights. By just accepting things, you're
giving the company permission to dictate things
like this to you and others.
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 6:40pm
I say do what you like. It's your head of hair.
I have one daughter who regularly colors her hair one godforsaken color after another - at Christmas, it was simultaneously platinum, lavendar, purple and black. She is only 20.
My hair is a brilliant shade of golden blonde and down to my butt. Not a common sight in a woman over 40. Even my freakin' kids tell me "women your age........." and I say too bad!!!!!!
I do agree with the thing about getting older and not dying your hair hot pink. THAT would look dumb on someone my age. But don't give my kid any ideas.
hair today/hair tomorrow/hair always
??/37/52
See my hair at http://karrinne1960.tripod.com
BlueFreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:43pm
I say,care more about yourself!I mean,while some people hate the styles,others will compliment!

And you don't have to conform to everything to be successful in life ,though everyone conforms to at least some things,and that is just fine!I mean,if people conformed to everything,where would the world be?What about the styles that wouldn't be created?

Coloring your hair is fun.Cutting,creating your style is fun(doesn't matter if it is a "wild" or "conservative" style).Why miss out?You'll regret it some day.

If you can't try a hairstyle because of your work,find another fun and acceptable one.You have to look around for stuff accepted by your job,and of course,that you like.

Sure,take your place of work in account.But if you can,then go ahead!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 4:33pm
It depends upon your job how you can wear your hair. If you work behind the scenes, and you have talent, like Uzma said, you can probably wear just about any hairstyle, talent will win out.

If you are working in sales or promotional work or just with the public in general, different rules may apply and certain extreme looks might not be accepted depending on the nature of the business.

I do some office workbehind the scenes but also do work as a receptionist for a business. I have a good job with flexible hours and decent pay but I do need to look presentable. I can wear a very short hairstyle, and wear some jewelry( I wear earrings and a nosestud in my left nostril) but if I were to go to a shaved head or have many piercings on my face or something like that, I can assure you it would not be accepted.

There are limits in many occupations. I accept that certain extreme looks may not be accepted if you work with the public in certain businesses.
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 1:15pm
I understand demodoll's point of view but I think conformity is "herd instinct".
It is a pretty low characteristic promoted by society and uses fear of non-acceptance as it's weapon.

We are living in a very diverse world, and the proponents of conformity want us to deny our God-given individuality and uniqueness.
IMHO one of the indicators of a civilised and advanced society is not so much "tolerance" of other's differences, but the active promotion of each person's full and changing expression of themselves (if that makes sense).

Your life is your own and your vision of yourself is the only one that counts.
As for corporate slavery....aaahh...I know it well. trust me, if you have skills they need, you get hired.
I have been on a number of IT projects where I have both hired and worked opposite people that had what would be termed "extreme" appearances by the corporate clones.
These lovely people challenged the prejudice of aforementioned clones by WHO THEY WERE - by their compassion, dedication and high ideals.

We need more such incursions of colour and life into the dead greyness of corporations.

So I guess I am saying YOU are more important than other people and their opinions.

The only "line" that should not be crossed is that of dis-respecting youself by not being you.
I cannot see how anyones appearance can cause dis-respect to another unless it involves gratuitous nudity, foul language or causes bodily injury to others.

Uzma
Uzi

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 11:45am
Unfortunately, non-conformists don't generally get too far up the corporate ladder (if that happens to be your goal). I imagine there are a few exceptions but I think those guys ended up owning the corporation. The vast majority of us have to conform to succeed.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 7:21pm
I can't agree with demodoll. I say, fight
the pressure to conform. Do what you
like. By doing so you may also be helping
others do the same and be happy. But
at the same time, try and be sure that
what you do is really what you want, not
something you have been cultured by the
fashion industry to do without really
wanting to.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 2:53pm
I agree with demodoll. It all depends on where you're in your life at this moment. It's very common for younger people to go wild with hair dyes, hair cuts, and so forth on, but older people are more conservative. It also depends on your job. The more creative position it is, the more liberated you'll be, but in almost all job positions it's better to be conservative if you work with lots of people (making good impression with clients and higher ups are important). In college, it doesn't matter. It's good time to experiment. Natural looks tend to be better choice because they make a person look younger and professional.

It's better to go with what you feel at your best and have no qualms. I tend not worry about what others think of me because I don't care, my friends, bf and family respect me no matter what because they know me very well and vice versa. I also know my value, so if someone made an assumption about me, then it's her/his loss. This is a free country. Be grateful we have many freedoms here unlike many other countries, esp. the third world countries.

You only live ONCE! It doesn't mean you have to stick to one look all of your life but at the same time be aware of your environment. That's all.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 8:42am
I think it depends on where you are in life. If you are a student or work in a field where looking "different" is OK or even encouraged, then go for it. On the other hand, if you need your job and want to get ahead and it is in a more conservative field, you will have to conform to what society expects of you in your position. I know that sounds unfair and even discriminatory but it is the way things seem to work and they way they have always worked. There is pressure brought to bear by whoever is in charge. The only saving grace that I can see is that what people consider to be "normal" and "acceptable" changes over time depending on how society is moving along.

Also, when you get to be a bit older, say in your forties and up, you just look silly and kind of pathetic doing outrageous things with your hair. Like you are trying to stay young and not quite achieving it. So the older you get, the naturally more conservative looking you will get, just as a fact of nature.

So I think it is a decision that is up to the individual and should sort of be in line with whatever your goals are. How you look really defines what you do in life I have found. The more conservative and "corporate" I looked, the more I moved up in the corporate world. When I wanted to do that, it was fine. Now I don't, so I can be more relaxed with my hair and everything else.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2003 at 2:00am
Ok i know we have all been told to follow our hearts when ever we do anything including hair. I mean if someone wanted to have spikey hair with all the colours of the rainbow on it, we would say it their choice. they are entititle to it. To some people is obnoixious looking and inapporiate. so who is right?
i mean we want people to respect our choices but do we respect theirs? to us doing these things ( color, fashion cuts, funky design)to our hair is our rights. but by doing this we are disrespecting people around us. i mean we dont live alone in this world, we are not gods or goddesses to make people agree with us, but they still cant force us to want we dont want. where does the line draw for a person self expression? Any comments?
ARGHH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic