Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to get to blonde...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
<3Aubrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote <3Aubrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to get to blonde...
    Posted: December 15 2008 at 11:35am
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around here for a little bit trying to find the answer to my questions, but I haven't really found what I'm looking for. Here it goes...
So, I naturally have medium Auburn hair (that I haven't seen since for about 7 years lol). I've dyed my hair almost every color imaginable, but here lately I've been dying it dark red. I wanted to try blonde again since it's been a while since I've been blonde. So I started with blonde highlights that I did myself at home. I've done them before and it worked great, so I thought it would be easy. Boy was I wrong. The first mistake was that I dyed WAY too much of my hair, it's dark underneith and yellow on top! The yellow is disgusting, I wanted more of a true blonde, not a banana yellow blonde. I don't know if it's because I've been dying my hair red for a while or what. What can I do to cancel out the yellow? I was thinking to get a box of a light ash blonde dye, but what would that do to my red hair that hasn't been highlighted? My hair is pretty damaged from the bleach already, so my next question is what can I do to get my hair in better shape? My hair is really curly, but now where it's blonde I don't have the cute ringlets anymore. Oh boy, how do I get myself into these situations?? lol. Thanks for helping, you guys are like hair experts!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 2:06am
If it is YELLOW,you should be ok using an ash color.Perhaps maybe even a natural blonde or Golden blonde would blend better with your red hair as they are slightly reddish.
If your hair is more whiteish though,definitely dont go for ash as it will leave you green.
My advice is just try really hard not to dye the red that is underneath.

You should look into a good reconstructing conditioner.Perhaps a leave-in treatment or spray too (redken EXTREME anti-snap leave in is great for damaged hair)

When you re-color,you might look into using a protein filler to add to your dye too.It will help minimize further damage.(trust me,protein fillers are a life saver!)

And finally,a very light dusting,if not trim,should add some spring back to your curls.Good luckWink

**edited to fix spelling errors!

Edited by julesyjul88 - December 16 2008 at 2:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic