Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Toner Question (and a few others...)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adivamom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adivamom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toner Question (and a few others...)
    Posted: January 01 2009 at 7:20pm
Ok, I have been coloring my hair for a few months with base color 7-8GN mixed, and Borne Blond highlights, 6N lowlights.  I wanted to do an all over base color (because of my grey) and then re-do the highlights with Borne Blond. I chose the clairol 7N, applied it to my whole head (including where my old  highlights were) and it came out DARK. Like really dark. And muddy. Almost greyish at the tips. Not what 7N should look like. SO, I used Colorfix mixed with shampoo and left that on for 5 min. It lightened it to a beautiful color, I was shocked.  THEN, I added highlights with the borne blond and 20 vol. developer. I did not leave them on long enough because I was worried they would lift too quickly and they came out orangy yellow and they bled a bit. Embarrassed 

I have a Clairol toner but I am not sure how to apply it? Just to the area that is highlighted?? How do you do that? Put it in a foil and apply that way? Can I apply it to the whole head, with the permanent color on there? Should the toner lighten the highlights to a pretty blond color (is that what they are intended to do?) or do the highlight have to be light enough to tone? Is it ok that I did the color 4 days ago? Does anyone recommend protein filler? At this point can I use it, or only when applying color?
Thank you in advance, you guys have always helped me and have given me the confidence to do my color at home....Big%20smile
muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by adivamom adivamom wrote:

I have a Clairol toner but I am not sure how to apply it? Just to the area that is highlighted?? How do you do that? Put it in a foil and apply that way?
You can do it either by only applying to the highlights with foils, or apply to the whole head. Wait for it to turn purple and then rinse out with cool water.

Quote or do the highlight have to be light enough to tone? Is it ok that I did the color 4 days ago?
Yes, they have to be light enough to tone. Shoot for a pale yellow. Orange won't really work; has to be lighter.
Quote Does anyone recommend protein filler? At this point can I use it, or only when applying color?
I believe protein filler is only used for when you are coloring over bleached hair, but I could be wrong.

Beauty draws us with a single hair.
~Alexander Pope

I'm a kitchen beautician, not a licensed cosmetologist, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic