Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lightening without bleach (pics)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lightening without bleach (pics)
    Posted: February 01 2009 at 9:39pm
Hey it's me again! I left off trying to get my hair a cool blonde shade at the salon. I went through 4 rounds of highlights, 3 toners, 2 rounds of low-lights all since September. I am currently what I think may be a level 8/9. Here are the pics:

My stylist does not want to highlight my length again, just touch up roots and lowlight. But I am not quite at the color I want yet. This is my ideal color:

So, i was wondering..... I have some Goldwell colorance in 10P and 10BS, and some 10 vol developer. If I used the 10P and got either 20 or 30 vol. developer, applied it all over, would it possibly get me to the color I want? I need it to lighten the dark bits, tone them, and I am assuming the random highlights that are already a level 10, it will just tone?

I just wanted some opinions before I bought developer, of course I will strand test first. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by jender - February 02 2009 at 5:26pm
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 4:55am
Color will not lift color. You will need to use bleach or a color remover, or both.
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 10:52am
Even if I am already blonde? I was hoping it would give me like 2 shades of lift. I don't know how to bleach myself since I have highlights and my stylist won't do it. Is there any other way?

Does anyone know why the picture upload/links aren't working?
krystlegarrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 1:42pm
You should wait for you hair to be in better condition because that is probably why your stylist won't re highlight your hair. If you already have color on your hair the color will not lift with any developer level, and it will end up doing further damage to your existing hair. Trust your stylist, she knows what she is doing!Thumbs%20Up
Krystle
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 5:32pm
yay! my pics are working!

My hair is actually in pretty good condition. See my stylist says she doesn't want to overprocess me, but then follows it by saying, I won't look good blonder because my eyes are brown and my natural color is brown so I will never get the blonde I want.

So I really don't take her words too seriously. Obviously I don't want to damage my hair too much, but I think her opinion is playing a huge part in it.

But seeing as I don't know how to highlight my own hair, I guess I am stuck with something I don't want, until I can figure out what to do. Any other suggestions?
bikertammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikertammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 11:49am
Hey Jender since you asked for suggestions!! My hair is the exact color as your hair right now! If you are going to do stuff yourself then stick to something easy that you can do! IF your hair grows fast then you will need to do roots often, you want it to be a simple process or you will hate life with the upkeep!! I have to do my roots every 2-3 weeks!! I simply use a 40vol Ion with 9-n9-0 Ion process for 45 min. Every 2-3 months I paint on bleach highlights to blend/lighten! It is very simple for at home and I always have gotten lots of compliments on my color from friends and strangers. I love your color and you could easily keep it up at home. I personally have tried to bleach roots before and will never do it again!! BUT the 40 vol/color is so gentle and easy just mix 2oz of color to 4oz of developer to get most lift!! Hope this helps! Hair color should be fun and easy to do alone!! I am 41 and have been coloring my own since 13!!!
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:10pm
you can not lighten hair with out some kind of chemical process. Even "natural" techniques  still changing the chemical bonds of the hair strand to give it a lighter  color.
krystlegarrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:22pm
i think anyone can be blonde, as long as the tone fits them. You can try using a hi lift color formula, but you will risk damaging your hair. I just went from very dark brown back to platinum blonde. My hair is hating me right now! But if you take care of your hair properly, you shouldn't have a problem. I only shampoo my hair once a week, and i let it air dry. Then I flat iron it daily, but i use a heat protector spray. Washing your hair can really dry it out, so i use a dry shampoo through out the week to keep it from getting oily. I swear by it!Smile
Krystle
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 5:24pm
Thanks for all the replies!

Yeah, my hairdresser and I don't agree on the level and tone I should be, even though the pic of how I want my hair is a picture of me and looks great...go figure.

I try to take pretty good care of it, though. Most of the time I am walking around with dirty hair, unless I have somewhere nice to go.

Krystlegarrison, i use that Oscar Blandi dry shampoo stuff and i don't know how I ever went without it! It's awesome and it smells like lemons!

bikertammy, you said you just paint on the bleach? Does that work? Do you have to cover it like with foil or highlighting paper so it won't dry out? And what bleach do you use? At my salon they use Wella products so should I stick with those?

Maybe I will do that. Just paint a few highlights very gradually, and once I get the dark bits to the level I want, tone everything with the Goldwell 10P. Does that sound like a good idea?

I will probably still go to the salon to get my roots done though, I don't think I am skilled enough for that!
bikertammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikertammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 1:25pm
Hey jender! I use Ion bleach, it comes in a purple packet and is a blue bleach, so it perfectly tones as it lightens! I use gloved fingers and start at my part and just paint downward. Sometimes I use a toothbrush to brush on highlights that works well also! I guess I have just done it for so long it is easy! I do not use foil just simply leave on for 30 min! Just as you said, just gradually every 2 months keeps the hair perfectly blended in! I started out going to a salon and it about broke me!!$$$$ Take baby steps til you are comfortable and the best piece of advise I can give is always STRAND TEST!!! Go walk the color isle at Sally's also!! Happy coloring!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic