Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

??Bleach/tone vs 40vol 1:2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DancerKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ??Bleach/tone vs 40vol 1:2
    Posted: February 02 2009 at 12:13pm
I tried putting highlights and low lights into my girlfriends hair yesterday using advise from this website, but things didnt work out so well.

Her hair is a bit of a disaster to start with and now we are trying to prolem solve in order to fix it tomorrow.

She has about a level 5/6 hair naturally, and has about 4" roots coming through. There are a lot of highlights growing out, and unfortuatley she has iron stains over the lower protion of her hair from bad water at her house.

What we tried: A few days before we used a clarrifying treatment and manged to remove some of the iron build up, then when we coloured we used Ion Very light blonde 9N-9.0 with volume 30 developer mixed 1:1 and Ion Light golden brown 5g-5.3 with volume 20 developer also mixed 1:1 to give a little contrast over the previously coloured ends.

We were thinking about using the same colours again, but for the highlights using a bleach formula for the roots and the very light blonde to tone down the "bleach" colour, and the golden brown with a stronger developer to allow it to get more colour on the hair.

Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated since I am an ammature and am just going off research online.

Thank you so much for you help.

Edited by DancerKS - February 03 2009 at 3:53pm
krystlegarrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 12:42pm
Hi DancerKS,
     This is how I started my career as a hairstylist, by doing friends and family's hair! First off, to remove Iron Stains you can either by a clarifying shampoo ( i'd recommend using one for swimmer's/ chlorine hair) and let in sit for 20-30 minutes. Or you can apply 10 volume developer to damp hair and let it sit for 10 minutes and wash with a moisturizing shampoo. This should hlp but it will most likely not remove the stains completely. She should use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week to prevent stains from building up. You really need to be careful using bleah because it will be hard to get it to tone. You will have to lift her to a level 9 or lighter in order to tone her hair with the color. For the darker color, use 10 volume developer if the color you applying is darker than her natural hair. 10 volume is for deposit only and will not have any lift on the hair.
Krystle
DancerKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 2:13pm

Thanks Krystle,

whats your opinion of using bleach with a toner, opposed to a 40 vol developer mixed 1:2 with a level 9 blonde?

The end of her hair are very porous so im a little hesitant to use bleach on the ends, but the 30 vol developer mixed 1:1 didnt lighten anywhere near as much as what we are wanting.

Thanks again:) Kate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 2:52pm
I personally like bleach because it's easier for me to use. However if her ends are damaged, bleach will make them worse so i think colr would be your best bet. You'll be able to get more lift with 2 times the developer to 1 part color. I usually use 40 volume for maximus lift.
Krystle
DancerKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 3:39pm
Brilliant, thanks so much for your help. we will give it a trySmile
DancerKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 3:45pm

Do you have any suggestions of do's or dont's when it comes to bleach. We will probably use a 20 volume, mixed 1:1 i would assume. Then continually check on it every 10 minutes or so. Some mentioned something about not heating the bleach correctly?

If you have any tips that you find useful, they would be very helpful. thanks, Kate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 4:01pm
Make sure you are checking it often. You can add heat to bleach but i would recommend covering the hair with a shower cap to retain the heat. And bleach should be mixed the the consistancy of cake icing.
Krystle
DancerKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DancerKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 12:17pm
Thanks for your help.
We used lightening with 20 volume developer and then toned it afterwards, and it worked great. we put more of the lightener on the roots and much less on the ends to refrain from damaging them anymore than they already are.
the hair looks great and it turned out exactly how we wantedbarmy 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krystlegarrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2009 at 11:35am
That is awesome! Happy Hair Days!Smile
Krystle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic