Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I have a toner recommendation for the blondes...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I have a toner recommendation for the blondes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a toner recommendation for the blondes...
    Posted: February 08 2009 at 11:48am
Hey everybody!   This weekend I attempted to highlight my blonde hair with a few more streaks. I started with the bottom layer, as this was the darkest area, and painted on a few highlights with bleach. It took 2 applications to get it to the level I wanted using 20vol. Afterwards, my hair was definitely brassy, like Goldenrod orange and yellow, but I did not want to bleach anymore because the level was where I wanted it.

So, I went to Sally's the next day and picked up Wella Toner T28 Princess Blonde, it has a blue/violet base. I used 10vol. developer even though they recommend 20, because the SA told me that 10vol. would deposit more color. I tested it on a strand and it worked perfectly! So I did the rest of my hair and all the orange/yellow is gone! The orange turned a light ash brown, and the light yellow pieces turned to a very pale wheat color.

I had to fill you guys in, because I have never actually found a toner that works well but this one surprisingly did! Once I decide to highlight the lighter parts of my hair, I will definitely be using it again to tone them!
muppets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 12:12pm
Very cool...thanks for sharing! I'll check this out!

BTW I think that's very interesting, that the salesperson told you that a lower level of developer would deposit more? Anyone else know why that is? I should do a test run using two different developer levels.
Beauty draws us with a single hair.
~Alexander Pope

I'm a kitchen beautician, not a licensed cosmetologist, so please take any advice I give with a grain of salt!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2009 at 12:24pm
40 vol gives you up to 4 levels of lift, 30 gives you 3 levels of lift, 20 vol gives you 1 level of lift, 10 vol has no lifting as its a low amount of hydrogen peroxide and will only deposit colour, 5  (1.5)vol is used for toning. HTHSmile

Great tip about the toner, thanks for sharing this.;)

Edited by karen s - February 11 2009 at 12:25pm
karen sanderson
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2009 at 3:15pm
Sounds similar to Clairol Creme Toner's Towhead. It has blue/violet base and does a great job toning down yellow/gold tones. I never tried this one, though.
maggiemay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggiemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:38am
I know this was a longggggggggggggg time ago...but going to go to sallys and do this.....saying prayers it works! thanks, for posting this!!!!!
maggiemay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggiemay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 4:13pm
Whohooooooo it worked left on about 4 min total....NO yellow NO brassiness.....Thank you Thank you Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic