Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any writers on the board?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any writers on the board?
    Posted: May 23 2003 at 1:35am
I'm working on a book...(not specifically about hair, although the book includes my ideas about beauty, health, hair and fashion). The book I'm writing is non-fiction; part autobiographical, part my ideas and worldview on a host of subjects.
I actually started the book when I was 22. I'm 27 now and plan on writing the book over a 10-15 year period. A slowly evolving process as I live and learn.

...(- Any writers or would-be authors out there?-)
tina
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 8:15am
Hi Tina,

My day job is in corporate public relations, so you could say I too am a writer by trade (and a figure skater by night.) Good luck on your book--I fully expect to see it on the NY bestseller list in a few years!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 9:33am
Thanks Lyris!
tina
Firefly Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefly Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 10:15am
Hi Tina,

You should definitely talk to Karen about writing. She hangs out on the boards here. Besides writing for HairBoutique.com she has a monthly column w/ several free lance articles that appear in two hair newstand magazines (101 Celebrity Hairstyles & Short Cuts). She has also written all the technicals for a hairstyling soft book, a catalog of hair and fashion accessories and her various hair, beauty and astrology articles have appeared in something like 25 different newspapers and magazines around the world with one recently appearing in the Phillipines. Although if you ask her she doesn't think of herself as a "writer". She considers herself an engineer and businessperson.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 5:40pm
Hi Tina

I am writing a novel at present.
Also write poetry.
If I had to place my stuff in any genre, I would say it is sci-fi/fantasy.

For work I have written business plans and System implementation strategies.

Thoroughly enjoy both !!!

Uzma

P.S Forgot to mention, I wrote a little on my website (link below if you are interested) but it was not refined writing - kind of just flowed out and I left it in that form.
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 7:55pm
Hi Uzma.
You have a nice website.
I can see both the poetic and sci-fi/fantasy aspects in your writing.
I can see the more business-like aspects of your writings too. You are versatile. -(and gifted)-.

I like the overall theme; the "yin" quality of it. Earthy yet spiritual. -(Naturegirl you are.)- -(you ever lived out in the country? You list London as your home)-.

My writing is purely non-fiction. Basically I'm writing my life story with my philosophy of life, my observations, my political/social/spiritual/philisophical ideas mixed in. Even my take on sexuality and sensuality.

The autographical part is how my sister and I were raised poor by a single mother in rural Wisconsin. -How I was influenced by my father even though he was rarely around.- How my mother coped and her strength, stubborness and at times craziness. - The death of my father when I was a teenager. -How I spent two years as a teenager as a bisexual "lady of the night" in Milwaukee and Chicago.- The 6 months I spent in a woman's jail. -My relationship with a man I fell in love with.- The birth of our daughter. -Our breakup.- My life as a single mom.-Most recently my life as a suburban middle-class mother and housewife in a lesbian marriage.
That's just a rough blueprint of some of the more eventful incidents in my life.

I'm weaving my life events in with the philosophies I have developed on such issues as feminism, spirituality, love, sexuality, sensuality, art, music, work, leisure, the environment, money(having it and not having so much of it) and a whole slew of other subjects.

How this will all pan out is anybody's guess, it's just sort of a project I'm working on and constantly refining. I have never shown what I have written to anyone, not a soul, not even my lover Kathy Ann, my mom, or my sister. It's not ready yet. Maybe in a another 5-10 years.

Let it come together as it will in it's own sweet time.

Blessings and best of luck.
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 9:52pm
Thanks for writing Firefly Gal.
I appreciate Karen's writing and how she runs this website.
tina
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 9:23am
Hi Tina! Your Kathy Ann is also a member on this board, right? Welcome to you both.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 10:14am
Thanks Lyris! Yes I'm with Kathy and she thanks you to.
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 10:29am
Hi Tina

Thanks for the positive feedback .

Your book sounds really interesting.
I was just wondering if you intend to publish your book or just put it on the internet, when it is completed?

Personally, I'm just going to stick it on the web as I have no interest in monetary gain.

Also wondering about your writing influences and sources of inspiration.
Who are your favorite writers, in other words?

Take care

Uzi
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 12:31pm
Hi Uzma.
I usually read newspapers, political and social magazines and fashion mags. Even the gossip/tabloid rags(I shouldn't admit to that).

As far as "real" writers of books, I have no one's style I really try to emulate.
There are writers I admire though. Everything from Susan B. Anthony to Luigi Barzini, from Agathe Christie to H.G. Wells. Thomas Merton and J. Krishnmurti.
Also the American "hipsters" like Jack Kerouac and Hunter Thompson. I have many autobiographies of men and women I admire. I have read some history and political science. Some spiritual stuff too.

Some of this I got from school.
Some from my mom.
Some from friends or people I met.
Or I just happenstanced upon some of it.

I don't have formal education past high school really. I did manage to get myself a high school diploma. I went back and completed tests to earn it. I have taken a few college courses too but not much. -( While many people were in high school,...I was already doing the streets, working and well,,,,,doing..... "ahem"...other "things".)-

But that's all behind me now.

I just write what I know and what I feel. I pursue my own course of writing. I imitate no one.
I couldn't if I wanted to really.

Will I publish my book for monetary gain? Who knows?-
I'm not adverse to money, having been broke for much of my life.

What writers do you like Uzma?
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 7:54pm
Hi Tina

Your life sounds fascinating.
I would really like to read your book when it’s done. Specially concerning the ...ahem...other things...:-) just kidding.

I appreciate a huge variety of writing:

Religious texts, especially the Tao Te Ching are top of the list. Read as existentialist possibilities rather than dogma. Included in this category are those belief systems currently referred to as “pagan”, and also Alberto Villoldo’s writings on shamanism.

Totally hooked on the macro-micro worlds of cosmic and quantum theories and discoveries.
Photons and heliotherapy, kirlian photography, psyco-stellar tides and the purpose/occurrence of vacuum/voids (thank God for web forums!!) – too many writers to name.

For pure pleasure and inspiration, I turn to the comic/graphic novel writers: Neil Gaiman (per sig quote), Alan Moore , Jamie Delano et al.
Oh – and I have this thing about Tolkien…mild obsession….

I also like to read a lot of neo-scientific literature e.g. “The Field” (Lynne McTaggart) as well as aromatherapy, herbalism, Dianic wicca (Stregheria), celtic/norse mythology, permaculture and deep ecology texts.

Being a Brit, I grew up with Shakespeare and Robert Graves. Their writings had a BIG influence, esp. Graves’ “White Goddess” (poem and v.complex book).

Gosh!! I must have bored you (& anyone reading this) to absolute tears.
I’ll stop now.

Great to “talk” with you, Tina – please let me know when your book is cooked.

See ya

Uzi
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 8:25pm
Uffda Uzma!!!,...- you sound like a scientific wizard of some sort, on a whole 'nother level girl!
Seriously,- you seem to be extremely well educated ; my guess is you have a scientific degree of some sort from,-( since you're British)-... Oxford or Cambridge maybe, or some such place?
What's your educational background, if you don't mind me asking?...and what is it you do for a living, scientific work?
Some of what you read I'm afraid is a little over my head darling but if you've got it flaunt it I say, and I mean the BRAINS. Seems as if you've got plenty of smarts Uzi!

Thanks for your replies Uzma. We'll chat again. I enjoy your posts Uzma;-( you're not only VERY smart you seem to be a real sweatheart of a woman, kind and considerate to others and all.)-

Later sweetie!..
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2003 at 3:05am
ooooo compliments- totally undeserved!!!
Thanks Tina.

Academically, I was a wild child. My brain ran in 50 directions all at once and I was bored to tears at school.

Initially I specialized in Fine Art, History of Art, English Literature and Photography ("A" Advanced Level subjects).
Then I went onto Art College for a year of anti-creative hell. They wanted me to draw/paint/sculpt in a house style. Forget it. I skipped the Art degree and went into the big wide world to earn my living and side-track my painting as a core activity out-of-working hours.
While working for various corporations in various roles, I qualified as a Permaculture Designer, Accountant and then went on to study for a degree in Earth Sciences (geology, oceanography etc).
Also studied Italian and Arabic languages due to an interest in the roots of languages.

I have worked as a teacher, business systmes strategist, organisation designer, accountant, project manager, service dept manager, team leader in various IT support org.roles.

I have worked in a pharmaceutical corp for nigh on 6 years. Currently working in the Research and Development division with a great bunch of physicians, micro-biologists and so on. But I don't work in a scientific role. That's a personal interest.

Tina - what stimulates you? Are you energized by socializing with others? Or are you able to spark off yourself?

I'm interested in knowing your writing pattern. Is it whenever the mood takes you or have you created some pattern of discipline around your writing periods?

Just curious. Hope you don't mind me asking .

Take care, sweety.

Uzma
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2003 at 10:41am
I knew you were well educated Uzma!.

I write when I feel like it. Nothing in particullar makes me want to write. I often write later at night when my daughter is in bed, although I sometimes write in the morning too. Whenever it strikes my fancy I guess.
I don't write everyday.
I'm taking my time writing this book, over many years, because I'm really not a writer per se.
I'm writing something that is semi-autobiographical and I'm only 27. I need to gain more wisdom and experiences to have the confidence that what I'm writing is worthwhile.
Maybe five to ten years from now it will be completed.
Talk with ya later Uzi!
tina
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 11:18pm
You two are fascinating, intelligent and articulate, obviously, and I hesitate to say this...

but I'm a writer, too. Bachelor's degree in journalism, have spent my entire adult life writing for newspapers. Have been a reporter, police reporter, news editor, managing editor, photographer. Now I have two jobs in the field: public relations for a municipality and sports writer. (I have AOL. I need two jobs!)

I'm in awe of you two.

If you folks haven't read Tina's account of part of her life, you need to do so on the Asian Hair thread of this site. Fascinating, like I said.

As Tina knows, I adore long hair. Had to say something on topic.

All the best....
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2003 at 7:47am
No way, another journalist on the board? Gord may I ask for which publication you write? I worked for a smaller daily in SW Mich two years ago. I'm in corporate PR now but still savor the thought of crafting a good anecdotal lead now and then.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 9:42pm
Gord and Lyris.
You both sound like you have plenty of good experience writing! I'M VERY IMPRESSED!!!
Feel free to tell us more about your writings, your jobs, or yourselves I'm fascinated!!!
.....Oh yes, more ideas about hairstyles too, of course!
Have a nice evening!!!
tina
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 11:51am
I'd like to write and have done so for ages,
but have only managed to really publish 2
articles so far, one in a club publication
(though I include it because it's in general
circulation). I'd like to publish both non-
fiction and fiction (though I hardly read
any of the latter, what am I thinking lol :) )
and you can bet that there should be a
few nice hair references in some of the
stories I might manage to publish.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic