Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your nail care process

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jewels408 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewels408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your nail care process
    Posted: March 09 2009 at 2:15pm
Hi

Lately I've been really taking care of my nails, cleaning and buffing, the whole shebang. But I was wondering if there were some specific products to use before putting on nail polish to make it last longer. Most of the time is cracks off after a couple of days. I've tried Sally Henson hard as nails with no luck.

My nails are really strong and are very smooth and I just want to try to do the best I can with them with out getting them done at a salon all the time. I was just looking at this product called Nail Prep by dazzle dry.

It is supposed to prepare your nails with calcium and vitamin b5 for a longer lasting nail polish.

Anyone heard/ used this or anything like this? Or any other suggestions?
brookdebt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brookdebt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 2:15am
Well, drink plenty of water each day. It's good for your general health and a well hydrated body contributes to healthy nails.Make sure the moisturizer or lotion is gently rubbed into the cuticles and around the nails, so to keep the cuticles soft and moist.

Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 3:04pm

Hi,

I noticed that since I have been taking Biotin pills for my hair, skin and nails my nails have been growing very fast. I also use the Pro FX complete 3 which is a clear base coat, hardener and top coat in one. I also use the Essie grow strong (I think that is what it is called) it says it is clinically proven to make your nails stronger in just 5days.

What I found with nail polish in general is that the top coat doesn’t really do anything to keep your nail polish lasting much longer because the top coat itself can chip and take the nail polish underneath right along with it. What will help is finding a nail polish that is a bit thicker and ones that tend to last longer. I just purchased these small jars of Essence nail polish and I was shocked at how long they last. It was literally 6 days before my nail polish began to chips at the tips of my nails. Of course chipping also depends on what you do during the day with your hands. If you are washing dishes and gardening, or you work with your hands a lot the polish will chip faster. And if your polish does tend to chip faster and you have to re do your nails a lot one way to make this less tedious is by buying a good nail polish remover that makes your polish come off almost instantly. I use the Sally Hansen salon strength remover that also removes dark polish another thing that makes the task a lot faster is getting polishes that dry fast. Some dry within 60 seconds. This way if your polish chips you can take it off and re apply it in very little time.

Edited by Ericachristina - June 27 2012 at 8:52pm
boconnor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boconnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2012 at 12:18pm
I use a base coat by OPI as well as a top coat, and I'm not sure if either really help it stay on longer. I think the base coat is to help protect your nails from the polish. The only polish that I have found to truly last is when I have my nails shellacked. It literally stays on for 3 weeks and looks shiny & glossy the whole time. The only reason I have to remove it is that my nails grow out.
JillGiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JillGiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 12:04am
Yeah that's true base coat is to protect your Nails from Nail polish,so that your nails dont get pale.

Edited by Karen Shelton - November 28 2013 at 2:33am
shinninglikeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinninglikeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 10:04am
for me base coat and top coat both works well. I think they help to keep the polish long for me.
Davidwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 12:34pm
Nail prep by dazzle dry is good to use. It nourishes, clean and conditions nail for longer time. Eat healthy food, drink plenty of water also.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 1:04pm
I love NYC clear as a top coat. It takes like 6 days for it to start chipping and I can get it for cheap at the walmart. The only downer is that it takes like an HOUR to dry, (and if you get really hot clothes out of the dryer, it can actually melt the nail polish). But the lack of chipping makes it worth the long wait. I wear it over all of my other polishes.   
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Calanthia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 8:35pm
To prepare your nails for polish, wipe them with nail polish remover. This will remove any grease from your nails and help your polish last longer.

Edited by Karen Shelton - November 28 2013 at 2:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic