Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese hair straightening w/o straightener?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HomSweetHome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese hair straightening w/o straightener?
    Posted: March 18 2009 at 8:18pm
Hi, i am a guy and i have very curly/wavy hair that frizzes especially in the front if i don't blow dry my hair.  I had my hair done before (japanese hair straightening/thermal-reconditioning)and it was very straight.  However, because i don't really have long hair (as long as a girls), my hair looked very very unnatural for awhile because it was just TOO straight especially in the front, it just looked flat and all up against my forehead with no natural distance.  I had a few haircuts since then and i believe most if not all of the thermal-reconditioned hair is gone except maybe a tiny millimeter in the front bangs.  SO i was wondering if it would be more natural looking for a guy to do thermal-reconditioning WITHOUT using the hair straightener twice? in other words, is it okay to just use the hair straightening treatment and neutralizer without any hair straighteners?  Thank you guys so much!

Edited by HomSweetHome - March 18 2009 at 8:28pm
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 12:29am
You sound like a candidate for Brazilian Keratin Treatment.

I did Japanese TR for 7 years, and I wasn't that happy with the "dead straight" look, and I noticed my hair was dry and crunchy in spots. Then I discovered Brazilian Keratin Treatment, BKT.  You can do BKT right on top of Japanese TR.  BKT doesn't damage your hair or make it poker straight.

Check out the topics about Brazilian Keratin Treatment.

LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 4:23am
i am interested in doing this at home by myself so i don't have to pay 350$ every 2 1/2 months! how do i do this?
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 11:39am
I've done a BKT at home by myself, and I can tell you that it is too difficult for most people to do by themselves.  However, if you are very good at straightening your hair with a brush and blow dryer and also straightening with a hot iron you may be able to do this.  You will need a 450 degree professional ceramic hot iron and 2 heat gloves, both worn on the left hand to help withstand the heat of a 400 degree hot iron.  You will apply the hot iron 10 times to each tiny section of the hair, and your left hand will burn without protection. I recommend practicing to see if you can do the sectioning, blow drying and hot ironing before buying the product.  You will be buying the pre-treatment shampoo and BKT solution.  After the BKT you can only use shampoo & conditioner that does not contain sodium chloride, either the expensive stuff from the BKT company or more reasonably priced products like DermOrganic.

There are sooo many different BKT companies out there.  Some require that you have a cosmotologist license to buy the product.  There are also plenty of companies that don't require a license.  Here are links to 2 companies that don't require a license:

Watch this BKT instruction video to get an idea of what the treatment involves:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhbnJphUDww

LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 5:56pm
thank you for response livluv!  I definitely do not have shoulder length hair because i'm a guy and its probably only at most 3 inches long.  How do i use the straightener in the front side of my hair aka bangs?  Do i just straighten it completely vertical so there is more volume?  How about the side hair also?
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:49pm
How do i use the straightener in the front side of my hair aka bangs?  ......  Part your hair the usual way.  If you have bangs with no part, then just iron straight forward.

Do i just straighten it completely vertical so there is more volume?  How about the side hair also? ........ there's really only one way to iron hair straight, straight down:)

LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 3:09am
the reason i ask about how to use the straightener after applying the BKT treatment and blow drying it straight is because when i got my hair TR, my hair looked very very unnatural because it was just TOO straight especially in the front, it just looked flat and all up against my forehead with no natural distance.  From the side, the hair just went completely straight down and looked really unnatural.  When i straighten my hair with straightener after BKT, how do i section the front bangs?  should i pull it straight up vertically to the sky or go down on it toward my forehead to get a more natural look or does it not matter since its not as crazy strong dead straight as the TR?  Thank you!! your reply is much appreciated =)
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2009 at 7:35pm
It doesn't matter because it's not as crazy strong dead straight as TR. 

BKT should not really be marketed as a straightener.  It reduces volume, eliminates frizz, makes hair shiny, and it takes much less time to style your hair.  You will still have curls.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 2:55am
so i was looking around for keratin products and i was wondering why QOD Keratin: http://braziliankeratinproducts.com/product.sc?categoryId=8&productId=14 was almost 3x as expensive as the escova progress?  is it that much better?

also

how do i find a beauty school near where i live?? which is better escova or rejuvenol?

thanks livluv :)

Edited by HomSweetHome - June 12 2009 at 5:21am
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 4:23pm
To find a beauty school near you, do a search for "beauty schools" with "closest big city near you"

Since this is your first time, I recommend that you go to salon to have it done.  I wouldn't trust most students to do a BKT.  Find out who is the best student who will be graduating soon, and ask if they have experience doing a BKT.  Also, you should watch BKT videos so you will know if they are doing it right.

There are so many BKT companies.  Just because QOD charges more doesn't necessarily mean it's a better product.  Buy a less expensive product if it's your first time.  Some companies allow you to buy enough for just one treatment, 2-4 oz.  Don't forget to buy pre-treatment shampoo and the daily shampoo and conditioner.

I definitely recommend that you have a salon do this the first time.  Be sure to watch exactly how they do it.  Think of it as an expensive learning experience.

LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:19am
could you post a website(if there is any) that sells gloves, ear pieces, hair clips, cheapest 400 F hair straightener, and hair brush to put the BKT over hair?  Thanks!
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by HomSweetHome HomSweetHome wrote:

could you post a website(if there is any) that sells gloves, ear pieces, hair clips, cheapest 400 F hair straightener, and hair brush to put the BKT over hair?  Thanks!
...... You don't need the ear pieces.  Instead get a medical mask and eye protection.

Buy everything at Sally's Beauty Supply.  I'm sure there's a store near you.  Get a $5 Sally's card to save $$.  They give a $5 coupon and 20% off purchase.  The only thing you can't buy at Sally's is the heat gloves.

One free heat glove comes with this flat iron.  Ask them to send you 2 gloves which are needed for the left hand.  Even with 2 gloves, 400 degrees will burn your hand:  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 7:48pm
cool how do i ask them for two gloves?  and where can i find the brush to apply the treatment as the Sally store only has brushes for combing hair? thanks im closer to finally getting to do it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 8:06pm
will the http://www.ts2products.com//flatirons/ts519.html <-the ts-2 detailer BIG also work? because it is cheaper than the other flat iron you listed
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 10:55am

cool how do i ask them for two gloves?  and where can i find the brush to apply the treatment as the Sally store only has brushes for combing hair? thanks im closer to finally getting to do it!

Call Bluebeez at 1-877-258-3801 and ask if they will send an extra glove.  The price is $69.45 for 2 flat irons + one glove.

For only 49 cents with a Sally's card you get a "Sally Long Tail Bleach/Tint Brush"

The cheaper flat iron is a tiny detailer for bangs, touchups and travel and not big enough to do a BKT.  Another option is to find a cheaper full size flat iron and buy 2 heat gloves separately for $20.

LV

Edited by LivLuv - June 15 2009 at 11:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 2:55am
can u give me a link of the 69.45 for two flat irons?  Isn't one enough though?
LivLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LivLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 2:32pm

can u give me a link of the 69.45 for two flat irons?  Isn't one enough though?

Bluebeez $69.45 Two flat irons with one heat glove:

One regular size flat iron is definitely enough.  This one just happens to come with a free heat glove and smaller detailer flat iron.  The smaller flat irons are usually only about 6 inches long, and people use them for travelling and keep them packed in their suitcases ready to go.  They also say the smaller detailers are good for bangs and tight spots, but I don't see the logic in that.  You could list the smaller hot iron on Ebay and sell it or give it to a friend.

LV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 10:13pm
sorry that link doesn't work !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 7:50pm
thank you! but why is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GUXGAO/ref=asc_df_B001GUXGAO822380?smid=A3B3ELOFCMAKF4&tag=pricegrabber2-health-20&linkCode=asn only 38$??

1'' is enough right? 1 1/2 '' is not required for BKT?
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomSweetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 1:05am
i think i will get the Global Keratin Treatment as it looks like it has the fewest problems compared to the Capolla one.  Do i have to have a license to get the Global Keratin Treatment?< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic