Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Trouble with High Lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jillianm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillianm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Trouble with High Lift
    Posted: April 24 2009 at 4:25pm
Hello,

I have light to medium brown (in between a 7N and 8N) and usually just get blonde foils put in (using color with bleach - 20v peroxide).

I recently went to the salon and the hairdresser recommended that I use high lift since my natural color was light. She first did my whole head with high lift color and then put darker foils throughout.....however, now my roots are bright orange! I was wondering what went wrong?? Did the girl not use the correct volume of high lift or is high lift not suitable for my hair and I should stick to the bleach??  And is using the high lift really going to make that much of a difference?

Any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated :)
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:23pm

Its still possible that you had some colour on your hair, and colour wont lift colour, and or your hairdresser never used 40 vol, as most hi lift colour you need to use 40 vol. It may also be that you have a really natural warm tone, and need an ash tone to cancel the warmth. It could be all of the above. Buy a extra light ash blonde mix equal parts with 20 vol, and apply to your hair only until you see the tone of the orange becoming an ash tone then rinse. Depending on how dark the foiled part of your hair is if its a depth of 6 and below, they extra light blonde will not effect the depth.

I hope this helps a little.

Karen:)
karen sanderson
jillianm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillianm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 3:31am

Thx so much for the reply. Yes I do have a really natural warm tone in my hair. Im not sure if the hairdresser used 40 vol but I will double check with her, I do know that she didnt tone it so I might go in and get that done.

As noted above, my previous hairdresser used to use bleach (20v) on my hair. I am wondering if it would be better for me to go back to doing that?? She said that since she was only using 20v and the high left was 40v that the high lift was no more healthier for my hair. 

I was wondering, is that true?

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 12:49pm
Mmmmm  well there is a bit of a debate about the bleach and hi lift colours. Hi lift colour like colouring products have loads of different things added, like great conditioning qualities, but I have to admit using 40 vol and bleach is harsh on the hair as hi lift and 40 vol. However in my experience When using hi lift and 40 vol verses bleach and 30/40 vol, the condition of the hair is far better with the hi lift colour rather than the bleach, and my clients certainly notice the difference. Using bleach and 20 vol is of course better for the hair than any hi lift colour, however the problem with this scenario is you can only get the desired amount of lift if your natural hair colour is a level 7 and up.

I hope that makes sense , lol.

karen sanderson
jillianm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillianm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:01pm
Thank you so much for your reply.  So I guess i'm going to go back to my old hairdresser and back to bleach (20v) instead of the high lift, since the high lift isn't any healthier for my hair.  The hairdresser that did the high lift said that each time I go in and get it done it will look more blonde.  This was very confusing as the only part of my hair that was orange was the roots, so why and how could the blonde be different the next time I got my roots done since it would be the exact same procedure? I have a feeling she didn't know what she was talking about?
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 1:55pm
Can I just add, it can also depend on which colour product is used with the hi lifts. I have used cheaper brands( wont mention the name cause the are bad, lol, through my experiences,lol) with terrible results and well known brands like wella hi lifts and L'oreal majirel blond with fantastic results. I'm sure other members can recommend a good few also.

If you feel you get better results with the bleach and 20 vol you stick with that, just remember only on the roots.:)

KarenSmile

karen sanderson
jillianm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillianm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 12:48pm
Hello,

So could the problem also be that my hair is too dark to lift to blonde and so it's turning orange?
It can't be that I have color in my hair as it seems to only be the roots that turned orange.
Also, since my hair is a darker orange, would a toner help make it lighter or would it just make it an ashy darker blonde?

I also just wanted to confirm that using 20v bleach is healthier on my hair than using the 40v high lift?
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 2:25pm
If you hair is a level 4/5 medium to light brown your hair does tend to pull orange tones when using hi lift colour. You are saying your hair is medium brown so you will get an orangy tone, I would then advice try using the 30 vol with bleach if you feel your still getting the orange. You really need to get to the pale yellow stage for toners to be more affective.

A  level 7 is medium blonde and an 8 is a light blonde a 20 vol and bleach will give you the pale yellow stage.

I hope this answered your question a little.

karen sanderson
jillianm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillianm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2009 at 3:26pm
Oh yes sorry my hair is a level 4/5, in between light and medium brown.  You advised that I use a 30v highlift with bleach, would that be the same (healthwise for my hair) as me using a 20v bleach?

Sorry, if I keep repeating the same questions, I'm still trying to understand all of this.

For the past two years my hairdresser has been using 20v bleach on my hair and it has always given me a nice super light blonde. I do however have some breakage and my hair is feeling quite dry. I had just gotten my roots done with the highlift for the first time the other week and had gotten that ugly orange color.

I guess what i'm also trying to say is: for the health of my hair, should I go back to my old hairdresser and use the bleach, or should I continue to go to the new hairdresser and do the highlift?

Also, I was wondering if you could recommend a good treatment (i.e. deep conditioner, hair masque etc.) and a good leave in conditioner?  I have noticed in the past that some of the products leave my hair feeling greasy, usually once I start getting roots, my roots will get greasy quite quickly, even if I try to apply just to the damaged spots.

Thx so much for your help! :)
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:39am
If your hair is damaged better you stick with the 20 vol, and if your old hairdresser is managing to get to a pale blonde then stick with that.

As for conditioning treatments. I don't know if you have Paul Mitchell where you are but the do a good selection of deep conditioning treatments. As for drug store brands Aussie 3 min miracle spray is a leave in conditioner and they are pretty good and inexpensive.

You shouldn't apply any conditioners to the roots of your hair, as we all have natural oils in our scalp. Only use the conditioners through mid lengths and ends.
Karen
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic