Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

growing out long hair for the first time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing out long hair for the first time
    Posted: April 30 2009 at 1:11pm
Hi, Im a guy and I am growing my hair out long for the first time and I eventually want to donate it to cancer patients through either Locks of Love or Pantene Beautiful Lengths. My goal length is between shoulder blade length and middle of my back :) My hair currently is short around 2 inches long. I was wondering how long would it take to grow it to my shoulders so I can have my first ponytail? and any advice for growing it out or styling it once its long? Im looking forward to the journey :)
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:02am
This is my goal length :)
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 7:27am
Seems like it takes about a yr. for each milestone. Shoulder length, APL- arm pit length, Middle of back, waist. etc.  Of course that depends how fast your hair grows, and if you trim. Good luck!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 8:25am

Thanks paper :) I definately appreciate all the support from this forum. From the sounds of it I have alot of time till I have it at my goal. The pic above is around mid back so not quite to waist but I could def go there. Around mid however I want to donate it for cancer patients so then itll be back up to my shoulders and I can start growing it again :) I dont think after shoulder length will be bad because I can already have it in a ponytail and its already long. Just waiting for it to grow longer :)Best of luck to u too u have beautiful hair :)

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:00am
The hardest part (and slowest part) is going to be where you're at now, before you get it all one length.  Depending on how you want it to look, it may require trimming the longer layers sometimes to get it one length.  If you get it to bsl (mid back) and still want to donate it, like you said, you'd only wind up shoulder length with a blunt cut after that, so that will take about 2 years to get back to mid back from there (depending on trims and maybe  how tall you are - someone around 5 feet tall will get there much faster than someone around 6 feet tall).  It'll grow about 6 inches per year, and you'll get to keep all of that if you take good care of it and don't need to trim off too much.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Pburgh56 Pburgh56 wrote:

Thanks paper :) I definately appreciate all the support from this forum. From the sounds of it I have alot of time till I have it at my goal. The pic above is around mid back so not quite to waist but I could def go there. Around mid however I want to donate it for cancer patients so then itll be back up to my shoulders and I can start growing it again :) I dont think after shoulder length will be bad because I can already have it in a ponytail and its already long. Just waiting for it to grow longer :)Best of luck to u too u have beautiful hair :)

Thanks! Embarrassed
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2009 at 10:16am
Paper ur def a huge help and ur more than welcome what do u think of the pic above for my goal?
Susan W if my hair turns out half as good as yours Ill be happy :) Im already going getting trims in order to get it all to one length. Once it gets there I itll be easier to just keep it long and keep it growing i def will take good care of it :) What do u think of the pic above of my hair goal?
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:11am
I think that is a good goal. Your hair will feel long at that length. And, it will be easy to take care of, you can wear it down or up, without much trouble at that length. When you get there, then you can decide if you want to go longer, or still donate.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 3:36pm
Thanks I appreciate it. I can imagine that itll feel long once its to this point :) I will def have a decision to make once i get there tho :) I really like the layers in the style above too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic