Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nas & Kelis Divorcing?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nas & Kelis Divorcing?!?
    Posted: April 30 2009 at 8:59pm

VIBE EXCLUSIVE: Nas and Kelis’ Divorce Confirmed

Keith Murphy

The hip hop couple call it quits UPDATE: A look at the divorce papers

One of hip hop’s most talked about married couples have split. VIBE has confirmed that Nas and Kelis are headed for a divorce. “I can confirm that she has filed for divorce,” a spokesperson for Kelis told VIBE. “We request the media to respect her privacy during this very difficult time.” At around 3:45pm PST, high-powered attorney Laura Wasser (who has also represented Britney Spears, Angelina Jolie, and Stevie Wonder) filed a divorce petition today on behalf of Kelis, citing irreconciable differences. The bombshell comes amid recent reports that the acclaimed rhymer and influential R&B vixen were expecting their first child together—a son. Kelis is currently seven months pregnant. 

It was only last February when Nas spoke excitedly to MTV about the prospect of having a baby with Kelis. “Yeah, man, I find out what it's gonna be next week, so I'm happy," said the multiplatinum rapper, who also has a 15-year-old daughter from a previous relationship. 

Nas and Kelis first met in 2002 at a MTV Video Music Awards afterparty thrown by hip hop mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs. “I wasn’t going to go, but I’m glad I did,” Nas told VIBE in June 2003. “Then at the afterparty, I met my girl.” Kelis remembered the meeting with her future husband vividly: “Everyone moves out of the way, and Nas stands up, and I put my hand out, and I’m like, Hey, I’m Kelis. And he goes, ‘Who?’… So I’m crawling into a loveing hole, and he’s like, ‘Wait-huh? What’s your name? And I’m like, Kelis, and he’s like, ‘Oh, well that’s great, because I’ve been waiting to make you my wife all these years.’” When Nas told her of his bold marital plans, she replied in typical Kelis form. “That’s great, because that’s all I wanna be.”

After dating for two years, the pair married in a small ceremony in Atlanta on July 28, 2003. Their relationship even sparked artistic collaborations, with Nas appearing on Kelis’ sensual single "In Public," featured on her 2003 release Tasty (Star Trak/Arista). Kelis returned the favor on the Queensbridge, N.Y., MC’s controversial 2006 work Hip Hop Is Dead (Def Jam) on “Not Going Back.” Yet, since March of 2008, rumors of the couple separating have been circulating on the Web. Nas’ spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

http://www.vibe.com/news/online_exclusives/2009/04/nas_and_kelis_divorce_confirmed/

Edited by _Princess_ - April 30 2009 at 9:02pm
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:08pm

EXCLUSIVE: The REAL Details On The Nas & Kelis Split

We’ve just learned some extremely interesting information about Nas and Kelisdivorce.  Our source–who has been rolling in Nas’ camp for years even before Kelis came along–tells TheYBF.com that even though Kelis is the one who filed the divorce papers, it was actually Nas who initiated the divorce.

We’re told that the fast downfall of their marriage began when Nas learned of Kelis’ sex tape with a rapper (who is not well known at all).  When news of the sex tape leaked to the media, Nas’ ego and pride were understandably hurt.  The raunchy sexcapades were taped before Nas and Kelis got married, but apparently it didn’t matter.  He physically removed himself from her presence, which is why we rarely saw them together these last few months.

Said source also tells us this pregnancy was Kelis’ last ditch attempt to save the marriage.  And while Nas is happy with his son being on the way, he was still going to file for divorce.  But apparently, Kelis wanted to beat him to the punch–likely out of spite–so she hurriedly filed first.

Damn.  Looks like this split may get a bit messier than expected….

Via THEYBF

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2009 at 10:05pm

We knew this divorce would get ugly.  Nas has just requested a doozy from the judge in his divorce case.  He’s demanding to not have to give spousal support to Kelis…at all!  She’s weeks away from birthing their son and can’t work.  And Nas says he also wants her to pay her own legal fees. I mean, she was the one who filed.  Oh, and Nas is also demanding to have custody of the baby when he’s born.

I wonder what brought these demands on…could it be the rumors that Kelis was cheating and he got fed up?  Or it vice versa and Nas is salty Kelis ended up filing first.  Either way, this seems like just the beginning…

Via THEYBF

Edited by _Princess_ - May 20 2009 at 10:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic