Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help for cowlicks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Popgen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popgen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help for cowlicks?
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 7:58pm
I have two cowlicks, one on each temple, that poke out from the sides of my head and are especially conspicuous when I tie my hair back.  For this reason a ponytail or clipping the sides back is usually not an option unless I have my curling iron handy.

Although my hair is fine-textured, it is thick, but because these "horns" are situated rather high on my head, there isn't enough collective weight above them to hold them down.  My mom has the same condition, or used to, as her stylist knows how to cut her hair so that hers lie flat.  But she lives across town (so using her stylist is not an option for me) and she has a completely different hairstyle - very short, while mine is in long layers.

If I am straightening my hair, as I do on "second" days after a shampoo, I can just smooth them out with a curling iron.  But it is wavy/curly when it first dries and I can't really attack them with a curling iron without disrupting the natural wave and having a lock of straightened hair amid the curls.  Depending on how it dries, sometimes the curls in front cover up the horns, but it's really hit-or-miss, and these "cover" curls tend to relax over time anyway.  Usually it just looks plain dorky.

My stylist doesn't know how to deal with them other than take a flat iron to them.  I've tried twirling these areas in the opposite direction with my finger while it's still wet and "shaping" it, which sometimes works or at least helps.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic