Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Cap For Long Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Cap For Long Hair?
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 12:17pm
I know you are supposed to wear a swim cap when you go swimming. I also know about the rinse your hair w/ water first and right after you get out of the pool. My question is where do you find a swim cap that fits thick or super long hair? I have never seen one. Some people say to wear two caps. OUCH. Hurts to get so much hair under even one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Star
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 12:57pm
I wear my hair super short now, but when I did wear my hair very long,(hip length) I did swim a few times.
How to put all of that hair under a bathing cap.
What I did was buy an oversized bathing cap larger than what I would have worn with a shorter hairstyle.
Not a perfect fit but it worked.
tina
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 2:13pm
one possibility is non-chlorinated pools.

I mean, sure there are general precautions to take, but let's say it's brominated , which would be the other main option : Chlorine and bromine are both halogens but bromine is like less reactive ... I forgot the magnitude .... 7-20x less.

Take the same precautions you'd do in chlorine though. Then, there's very minimal effect.

As for a swim-cap , I think the P.P. had the right idea. I couldn't/wouldn't though. I just love the feel of water and hair. Damn chlorine, haven't been to a pool in over 2 years now.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 2:27pm
Intend swimming in the Adriatic this summer.
Like Kintaro, I like to feel my hair freely swishing through the water - what a delerious pleasure.

Being worried about salt-water damage (ditto chlorine damage in hotel pools), I have been advised to apply a good dose of oil to my hair.
Apparently, the female pearl-divers in Polynesia and Japan do this as a matter of course to protect their lovely locks.

Hope that helps.

Uzi
Uzi

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 2:38pm
what kind of oil uzma?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 2:41pm
Hi Monica

The Polynesians use coconut oil and the Japanese use Camellia oil.

Uzma
Uzi

grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 4:35pm
If this helps - I spent 2 weeks in the middle of the Indian Ocean a couple of years ago swimming and snorkeling EVERY day.
I was concerned about my hair, but I'm not a big swimcap fan at all so here's what I did -

Take an 8 oz. squirt bottle, fill halfway with 30 or better SPF sunBLOCK.
Fill bottle with your choice of oil - jojoba works fine -and be vigilant about keeping your hair oiled with SPF oil. It looks funky in the bottle, and when it first goes on your hair - but it doesn't "show" once it's worked into your hair.

I wore an oiled braid all day, shampooed every day and had no sun/salt water damage at all.

Hope this helps?

Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
Cyn1013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyn1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:56am
Star,
I am running into the same problem...
I am going to do alot of swimming this summer (both in pools and ocean) and i was wondering about the swimming caps. I bought one last year and only used it about 3 times. My hair is 24" long and thick. Too much hair! LOL!
Do they even make caps for very long hair? hmmm.. I wonder. I am interested in finding out what everybody else is going to use, swimming caps or oils?
Thanks!
Cyndie
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:09pm
Sounds like some good ideas here... Tina's suggestion for the oversized cap... and all the hints for heavy oiling in advance of swimming...

I don't plan to do much swimming, but if and when I do I will probably soak it with fresh water first, apply some oil, and then braid it. And after swimming, wash. I've done this before and it hasn't seemed to harm my hair.
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 8:11pm
Hi Cyndie,

I will continue to search for a long cap. If I find one, I will post here. I do love all the suggestions like the oversized cap and the oiling and such but still really want a large cap. :-)

Star
Cyn1013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyn1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 10:37am
Thanks guys for all your input! I'm going swimming today and hope to remember to add the oil on my hair!
Star, I will search for the large cap myself and I'll keep you posted on my findings ! :)
Cyndie
Hippychik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippychik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2003 at 9:01pm
I recommend going to a pool store instead of a Wal-Mart or something and asking for the largest cap. Silicone is better than latex, it's more slippery. Wet and condition your hair, then use a no breakage band to ponytail it. Bend your head forward while securely holding the pony and put the cap on the back first. As you bring the cap forward, bend the pony back toward your head, and slip the pony into the cap as you bring it over your forehead, then slip your hand out. It's worked for my waist-length hair forever. Another tip, flesh or white caps are bad, bright colors are much better.
SUMMER GRL! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUMMER GRL! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 2:51pm
gtgj
SUMMER GRL! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUMMER GRL! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 3:20pm
*********V. VALUABLE ADVICE!:*********

Heya!
ok..ive done ALOT of time consuming research on the whole swimming and protecting hair thing over the past 3 weeks or so. This advice is based on recommendations & praising of hair care products for the sun that i have found in magazines and websites etc. The amount of recommended products began to form a pattern, so i have found some of THE best products and care tips.
Im going to sicily in july where the temp is expected to be in the heat-wave numbers and I will be in the strong sun and swimming every day. This is what Im going to bring with me:

*Kerastasse Shampoo from the Sun Range
*Pyhto Citrus Mask(or maybe *Wella SP HydroMask)
*Redken Moist Ends Leave-In Treatment
*Redken Colour Injection in Blonde
*Phyto Sun Veil & Umberto G. Sun Wipe Sachets
*Phyto Defrissant Balm
*Any serum or maybe John Frieda Gold Rush as a finishing product

...alotof products, I know! but last year i made no effort at all in italy for 3 weeks where the temp was soaring and every night I resorted to either blow drying my hair or travel-ironing it and I have certainly learned my lesson! not recommended!
this year im bringing these so that there will be NO WAY that I can go wrong and if I come back home with crap hair then at least i will know that i did all that i could to prevent damage. actually, if I come home with crap hair then it'll be in for a beating!
any other recommendations are welcome : )

Hope I helped...Bring on the Summer! -ENJOY!
Leia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 8:06am
I rinse my hair, work conditioner into the length, braid it and tie it. I don't use a swim cap. After swimming I rinse off the conditioner and my hair is soft and unaffected by the chlroine.
iceprince View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceprince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 7:53pm
I always order my swim caps from Swimcaps by Fran I know they offer an XL, & XXL & an XXXL size. Their prices are good & they offer inexpensive shipping. I have ordered the regular size only but I have some friends with dreadlocks that have had a hard time finding large swim caps anywhere else & have gotten them here as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic