Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got my hair highlighted - pics!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my hair highlighted - pics!!!
    Posted: June 13 2009 at 7:49pm
Hello All !!!

It's been awhile.  The longest part of my hair is at my waist (my hair is in a V).  I have decided not to buy extensions since my hair did this huge growing phase and grew really fast!  I was getting tired of the very dark hair so I got a few highlights in the front and really like them Smile

This is my hair before the highlights.  Look how light my children's hair is.

Here is the new me !!!!

Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 8:08pm
Wow Kimbearly you have gorgeous long hair. I absolutely love it. The highlights look great as well. It really makes your hair look brighter :) Congrats on the huge growing phase and having part of it at your waist. That is absolutely amazing :) I wish mine would go thorugh that phase too I am hoping  to grow mine to either mid back or waist but I have a long way to go, its just shaggy now :) What is your goal? Great hair :)
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 1:55pm
Thanks Pburgh.  You know what?  I have been growing my hair for so long now it is ridiculous.  My hair grows so slow - but lately it has been in this growing phase which is nice to say the least.  I lost my mom 3 years ago and I think the stress of that made something happen to my body.  I started loosing hair and it seemed to just stop growing.  It also did not feel as healthy.  Now that time passes I am coming to terms with her loss and I think my body is healing as well.  To get the lenghth I wanted before I was wearing hair extensions, but now I do not need them - which saves me some $$$$.  As far as how long do I want it?  Not sure.  I like the length it is now, but of course I would like to go longer.  I have been really good about getting a snip of of a trim every 8 weeks.  It really seems to help to overall healthyness of my hair.  Plus, I have a fantastic hair dresser who will only take a snip off Smile  As for you, the growing phase takes years and it will happen.  My hair was shoulder length 8 years ago.  I had to get a lot cut off because I had a highlighting job that really dried out my hair.  8 years!!!!! to get it to this length!!!!  I myself want long hair - but I want healthy long hair. For me what helps is only using a conditioner to wash my hair.  I like extra body vo5.  It is on l sale at CVS for only 77 cents!  I am also going to try the one mentioned in another post from Sally's.  Sometimes I feel the vo5 does not take out all the dirt so I wash with a natural shampoo from Aubrey once a week.  I find that my hair feels dryer afterwards, but it needs to feel cleaner.  I am excited to try the cleansing conditioner from Sally's. 

Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:37pm
Thanks for the reply. Im sorry about you loosing your mom too :( But wow years is a really long time to go from shoulder length to wear you are now. Needless to say you are really deserving of getting this nice hair growth phase here. Congrats on your length now and I hope you can get it longer like you would like. I myself have been going about every 8 weeks too to keep it healthy. I will try vo5 and that stuff from sallys as well. My hair is currently about 4 inches in length all over but my goal is to grow it to mid back or even longer hopefully :) Im looking forward to the journey :) I noticed your son is sporting longer hair in the picture too. Congrats for him!! How long does he want it? Ponytail length?
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:06pm
Now the vo5 works well for me because I have curly/wavy hair.  If you have straight hair it may make your hair too flat.  It is cheap enough to try it out though to see if it works.  My son (the one in the back) would like his hair like this when he gets older.  He is 7 now...

My other son just likes his hair to look "surfer" style and will keep it as is.  Keep in mind being that your hair is pretty short right now it will take about 2 years or more to get it to where you want it.  Patience!!!!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2009 at 4:47pm
Thanks I do have straight hair so I will have to stay away from the vo5 stuff. Do you have any suggestions for hair products for straighter hair? That is awesome that both your sons like it longer. THe surfer style is great and its cool to have at least some length with it. As for your son in the back, that is awesome he wants his hair that long. Are you okay with him growing it being a boy? The style on the pic looks really cool. I know im in for a long road ahead to get it to the length I want and its going to take at least two years prob :( Im trying to be patient with it still but once I get it to my shoulders it will be easier because I will have a ponytail and that then. How long do you think it will be until I have that ? Thanks
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:02am
Wow Kimbearly what a great highlight job. You look like a whole another person. Thanks for the pics. I do hope you will reach your goal.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 3:10pm
     Clap It looks sensational, Kimbearly. Bob
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 6:45pm
I love your highlights Kimbearly! Your hair really is getting long too, looks great! Thumbs%20Up
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Pburgh56 Pburgh56 wrote:

Thanks I do have straight hair so I will have to stay away from the vo5 stuff. Do you have any suggestions for hair products for straighter hair? That is awesome that both your sons like it longer. THe surfer style is great and its cool to have at least some length with it. As for your son in the back, that is awesome he wants his hair that long. Are you okay with him growing it being a boy? The style on the pic looks really cool. I know im in for a long road ahead to get it to the length I want and its going to take at least two years prob :( Im trying to be patient with it still but once I get it to my shoulders it will be easier because I will have a ponytail and that then. How long do you think it will be until I have that ? Thanks

My son has very straight hair and I like to use this shampoo on his hair by Kiehls.  I also use the same formula in a conditioner.  It works very nicely and gives great shine.  My other son who has wavy hair, I just use the shampoo.  I then put a leave in conditioner made by Kiehls on his hair.  I just bought the shampoo one by Sally's today and I am going to try that on them.  It is a cleansing conditioner.  I bought the normal hair formula for them.  I am excited to see if it works since it will be only one step and it is all natural.  I bought the color treated formula for myself.  We will see???

Do I mind if he has his hair long?  No, because it is his hair.  My parents pretty much forced me to have short hair when I was younger and I always hated it on myself.  Other people I think look cute with short hair, but I tend to look much older.  I think it is because my hair is not straight.  My curls/waves have a mind of their own and do better with a longer hairstyle.

As for you, I do not know how fast your hair will grow to get it into a ponytail.  I would say at least 2 years.  It will get there.  Like I said before, it took me 8 years to get it like this.  I am just going to let it keep on growing at this point.  It will be fun to see how long it will get and still look nice. 

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 3:48pm
Hi Paper, Mike and Bob Smile

I really like the way the highlights brighten up my face.  I was scared to do it because of disasters in the past.  I am happy to say that the highlights are shiny and not dry at all.  Plus, I like getting called "Miss" instead of "Mam".  It's a girl thing guys - a good day is a "Miss" day.  I will be 39 next month so I want to be a "Miss" for as long as I can - LOL!!!
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:37pm

Thanks kimbearly, I will be anxious to see how the shampoo at sally's works for you. definately let me know :) I am sooo happy that your son is growing his long. I know I for one always had my hair soo short growing up and I always wanted it long so I am finally going for it. I just wish I would have started growing it at a younger age like your son is doing.  I know its going to take a long time to grow it as long as I want but I am really anxious to see how it goes. Believe me if my hair still looks nice when it is to my lower back I am keeping it there and maybe even growing longer :) Your growth is amazing. If my hair turns out half as good as yours I will be very very happy :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic