Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ringlets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ringlets
    Posted: July 11 2003 at 6:16am
Does anyone know how to make old fashioned ringlets? The kind that look like this:

http://www.mybestgirl27.com/1765.jpg

I've tried a curling iron but the curls don't come out so perfect. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 8:30am
The best - least damaging - way is to use rag rollers. Here are a couple of web sites with instructions on how to do it.

http://www.virtualhaircare.com.au/virtual%20salon/blow%20and%20style/hairup_ringlets.html

http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/2457/techniques.html

Depending on the length of your hair, you could also achieve the same look with foam rollers. I have used the rag method and gotten very good results with it.

Good luck!!

allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 6:04pm
Thanks bunches. I've tried rag curls and pin curls before and they worked really well,but it takes so long to put them in.
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 8:19pm
You're very welcome, Allie. I know that rags can be a bit time consuming but the results can be really very nice. And the best thing is, if you don't like how it turned out, just shampoo. No long term commitment. Plus, no heat damage from a hot iron. After I got some experience at it, using the rags went rather quickly.

I have also had very good luck using soft curlers to achieve ringlets. I have seen the curlers sold at Wal-Mart, Sallys and some drug stores. The one I have see there are very similar to the Wrap, Snap and Go curlers (which I have also used).

http://www.infomercial-products-online.com/products/997146196.html

I get very good results twisting the hair as I roll them on the soft curlers. It certainly goes much faster than using the rags and the results are very nice.

Good luck and happy curling!
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 5:46pm
Hey, Allie!

I mentioned to a co-worker your search for a way to get the perfect ringlet and she told me she gets hers from something called the "Sassy Curler." I was unfamiliar with it so I visited their web site. At first, it didn't look like what you were looking for but then, almost at the bottom of the page, THERE IT WAS. A very nice ringlet. Check it out at:

http://www.euroteezer.com/sassy.html

They aren't very expensive and seem to be able to give you the look you are looking for without the time of using rags.

Hope this helps!!
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 7:26pm
Ok,thanks,budokan, I'll try those!
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 10:40am
My pleasure, Allie. I hope they work well for you. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!!
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 1:53pm
I tried the rollers I found in Walmart (they were less than $5 for 8 rollers) but I couldn't fasten those real well. They weren't long enough to tie like you would tie a traditional rag roller. There were no snaps like in the wrap snap & go rollers. Somehow I was supposed to twist the end of the roller (it felt like there was a wire at the end of it under the material) and hook it under the hair near the root. Maybe it takes practice getting used to but I felt like I was messing up the hair that was wound around the roller. So I ordered the wrap snap & go rollers and I'll see how they work.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 7:57am
I have used ones like those sold in Wal-Mart and they worked okay for awhile (once I got the hang of it) but the wire in the ends broke off very quickly. Seemed like every time I used them another one broke.

I had much better luck with the Wrap, Snap & Go and Sassy Curlers. In fact, I still have and use both of them almost 2 years later.

I hope you have the same success I did. Good luck!
Merlin
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:02pm
I just got the Wrap, Snap and Go rollers in the mail today. I'm gonna try them out this weekend. They should be easier to secure. I need stuff that's easy to do. I wonder if there is a book called "Hairstyling for Dummies" cause that's me. The rollers look wild with the animal print fabric on them.

Caramia
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 8:43am
The Wrap, Snap and Go rollers worked wonderfully. They were much easier to use than the ones I previously purchased at Walmart. I used them on my daughter's hair last night and this morning when I took them out, she had a massive head of curls. I just rolled the hair and snapped the roller shut. Then I rolled the next section of hair and before I snapped that roller shut, I "interlocked" the 2nd roller with the 1st. This keeps the rollers from coming unwound and secures them better than anything I've used before. I'm so glad I bought these. My daughter had no trouble sleeping in them and they are not damaging to the hair at all. I had to mail order them. But I'm wondering if they will be sold in stores like Target eventually. A lot of those "as seen on tv" products wind up in Target after a while.

Caramia
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 9:38am
Glad they worked so well for you, Caramia. I don't know if they will end up at Target but they are at Sally's (I saw them this past weekend).

Use them in good health!
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 12:11pm
Budokan,

Do you have to be a hairdresser (or hair professional) to buy stuff at Sally's? I think years ago you used to have to show them a card or something to prove you worked in a salon. I don't know if this is still the case.

Thanks,
Caramia
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 1:05pm
Caramia,

Not anymore. They ask if you have a Sally's card (for which you have to show a license) but that is to get a professional discount. My wife loves to go there and just look around. You can see what specials they have on their web site:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/specials.asp

They don't sell over the web (yet) but you can get an idea of they products they do carry. Like the Wrap, Snap & Go rollers that were mentioned earlier:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=679000&dept%5Fid=2210

Have Fun!!!
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:22pm
Thank you, Budokan! I will definitely check out Sally's.

Caramia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic