Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cutting your own hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moonshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting your own hair
    Posted: July 25 2003 at 12:42pm
Here's a site I came across that might help if you have long hair. http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim.html
I've haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how well it works. I've butchered my bangs in the past, so I'm a little reluctant to try cutting the rest, but I thought I might try this next time I need a trim.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:16am
My hair is roughly chin-length. I look at
myself in the basement washroom mirror,
hang another mirror behind me from the
pipe above, and try to cut straight around.
My hair is a bit thick and I cut some off
underneath (I pull on the stuff that wants
to stick out and snip it). I wouldn't
recommend this as a general styling
technique - it just sort of works for me
and is not exactly the same as a stylist
picking up the top layer of the bob and
cutting a bottom layer shorter so it'll curl
under; the under-layer I get is just to keep
that layer's hairs from sticking out under
the bob and is not completely even (though
that doesn't matter much because you
don't see it). In order to do this properly,
my hair should be combed down all
around, rather than pushed behind my
ears.

I just don't like the barbershop/salon
experience - and it's one less expense. I'm
due for another self-cut sooner or later,
once I get time. If you want a real nice
feminine bob, I would recommend having
someone else do it.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 1:41am
I usually do my own, unless I want a style that's too hard to do by myself. I just don't like other people messing with my hair, or the arguments that can result while I'm trying to get what I want and they're trying to talk me into what they wanna do.
Most of the self-cuts I've done would be just trying to get it into a fairly even blunt bob. . . which I kept so long it made me really resent bobs, so I wouldn't get another for the life of me now :-P . But there was also the time I kept a buzz for a while, that I did myself. I messed up once in a while by putting the wrong attachment or adjusting the clippers wrong or something, so sometimes it ended up shorter than others, but I didn't do too badly. Right now my hair is kind of in shaggy layers, just that I hold bits straight up, measure with a comb, and cut. That usually turns out all right. I can't remember any time I've done my own hair that someone has come up and asked me if I did it myself or told me it looked like I did it myself. Right now I'm pretty sick of my current hair, so I'm thinking of doing it shorter. It's just that I've never done it shorter on my own and am not sure if I can do it well enough. But then again, I'd never done any layers before this style, either, so I guess there's a first time for everything. . .
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:36pm
I cut mine for years, using the 2 mirror system. Most of the time I did great. Take it in small sections and little off at a time (at least until you become an expert). Now my wife cuts mine and I cut hers. Besides the fact that we find pleasure in it, we save about $800 year. Maybe you can find someone you can trust - again think small and slow.
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 8:59pm
No. I've tried cutting my own bangs and since that turned out horribly, I've never attempted cutting further.

Caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 1:04pm
I do cut my own (and at my own risk, I might add!) It is a HECK of a lot harder than cutting other people's. I have blunt cut below-the-shoulders hair and for about two years I've been trimming it myself. Technique: no real system. I set up two mirrors at angles to one another so I can see the back. I use shears from the beauty supply, wet my hair, then cut it one section at a time, starting with the pieces underneath. I'm letting my hair grow now so I'm not cutting it at all, and when I do I think I'll just go to the salon. Frankly, while my hair looked fine when I cut it it's too time-consuming to continue on my own.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 12:19pm
Do any of you cut your own hair? If so, what's your technique?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic