Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing out an awful short cut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing out an awful short cut
    Posted: August 22 2009 at 3:45pm
OK my hair has been through so much since New Years Eve. Kind of a long story. My natural color is like a medium beige blonde but I have been getting highlights since I was about 10 yrs old. Granted I usually only got highlights at the most twice a year. On new years I went to a salon to get highlights and the girl really screwed up my hair. She used 40% bleach on my highlights and then in between my foils and roots she put some kind of color on my hair. Well, my hair turned neon orange with white streaks. I went back 3 days later so another girl could try and fix it and she added some lowlights to my hair which then left me with neon orange, white and green streaks. Needless to say I ended up having to cut my long hair to a chin length a line. Well I started going to a new salon and the girl there fixed me all up. After a couple of times going to her she was able to pretty much highlight all the orange out of my hair. Although, I ended up being platinum in the process which didn't look all that bad on me. I just hated to always have to touch up the roots. After about 2-3 inches of regrowth I asked if she could start adding some lowlights into my hair so I could just let my natural color start coming in. So, she added lowlights, but way too many. I was practically a brunette when she was done. She also razor cut my hair at the same time to give me real choppy layers. Well, I about died when I saw how dark my hair was. I went in the next day and asked if she could just add a few highlights around my face, cuz it was so dark. She decided to give me a bleach wash. Well, the wash turned the lowlights yucky orange. So, now she heavily foils my hair to remove the orange and that turned me white, white, with no root. I then started to cry. Well, she decided to add lowlights again which turned out flat and horrid. My hair looked like a wig. I just left the salon. The next day when I washed my hair and it dried it it was a complete fuzz ball, my hair was so broken off that my new hair cut actually looked like I was on chemo therapy. I went to another salon refered to me by a friend and the stylist told me the only thing I could do was let the horrible color gradually wash out, seeing how it was a semi perm color and just condition the crap out of it. Come back in 5-6 weeks when I have some regrowth and we would take it from there. Well, the color was gradually fading but it stained my hair this yucky orangey color and my ends were still fried. One side of my hair broke off shorter then the other. The only thing to do was trim it up a little and get an asymmetrical cut which I absolutely hate. So, now i have this ugly cut and ugly color. Ok so fast forward 5 weeks. I did treatments every 2 days on my hair and it was actually starting to look like hair minus the ugly color. I made an appointment to get the color fixed. I go in and I have close to an inch of regrowth. The stylist tells me she is going to put a toner on my hair that lifts and tones at the same time. She says it will blend my roots and tone the orange to blonde. It has a blue/violet base. So, I am excited to finally look normal again. Well, she puts this toner on my hair leaves it on few minutes rinses me and OMG I could not believe my eyes. The ends were blonde but my roots were neon orange. I once again start to cry. I just left the salon and cried all the way home. I bought a medium blonde semi perm color and put that on my hair. And of course as it is washing out it is staining my hair orange, I used one with a neutral color. My roots are fading an orange color again just not as neon. I go once again to see a stylist at yet another salon and tell her i just want my hair dyed dark. She tells me she won't do it cuz she knows I am going to hate being dark and then I will be trying to go blonde again from dark which is going to make it even worse. She tells me to just try and bear it for at least 8 weeks use a purple shampoo and condition the crap out of it again. So, I can't help but wonder what she is going to do when I go back in 8 weeks? She said she would highlight my roots so they can start blending but yet leave me with some of my natural color so I can just start letting my hair grow out.  It has been 2 weeks since my last hair color disaster. I hair is still all choppy and short like almost to my ears. I hate it I really do look so ugly. I just want to hide under a rock until this all grows out. I guess this is Gods way of getting back at me for being so vain. I decided to start this journal so I can keep track of some of my progress. I was really worried that I might have stunted my hairs growth forever from the last color episode because it had been almost 2 weeks and I wasn't seeing any new root regrowth. Well, today I noticed that I have a about a 1/6 of an inch showing so at least I know it is growing. I am not sure how fast my hair grows. I know that my mom, dad and brother grow hair super fast so i hope I have the same genes. And we all have super thick hair. I am leaving for London Dec 30th. My goal is to not color or cut my hair till right before my trip. I am hoping that my hair will grow enough that I can at least get some kind of cute cut for my trip then let it grow out from there. I really don't want my hair super long again because it's not that flattering on me. I want it to about my collar bone. So I can wear clip ins if I want it long and not wear them if I want a shorter look. I just want to get rid of this ridiculous asymetrical short cut. I need my hair to grow about 5 inches to get to my collar bone. So, I am looking at a year to have it the length I want. So, I have started taking vitamins. I was taking the GNC nourishair but I switched to the GNC hair, skin and nails vitamins because it has 3000 mcg of biotin and 3 mg of silica. Deep conditioning treatments very 2 days for a while. No cuts and no color for 4 months. I will be using the straightner on it cuz I have naturally curly hair. I measured my hair. I tried to measure the shortest pieces. Left side piece temple down in front of ear is about 4 inches maybe 3 1/2. Top crown piece 3 1/2 inches. Right side temple down in front of ear is 5 inches. I have alot of choppy pieces that are only 2 inches. Some of my hair was sticking up about a week ago but they seem to be laying down more. I literally hate my hair right now. Here's to hoping that I can at least get my hair done a short aline style by time I leave on my trip. I wash my hair with pureology nano works with shimmer lights mixed in and use it's a 10 hair mask. I am going to buy some stuff from eqyss to see if it will help make it grow faster. It works on horses, maybe it will work on me.

Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 5:59pm
Awwwww ur story is sooo sad :( I really hope u can get ur hair back long and healthy. I am too growing my hair long from a very short cut even tho im a guy lol. How long do u want ur hair?
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 6:48pm
I would like it to my collar bone. I was looking at old pics of me with my long hair and although it is really pretty it is nit very flattering on me. 99% of people liked me better with short hair. Just not this ugly haircut I have now. With hair to my collar bone I can at least wear clip in extensions if I want.
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 7:35pm
pic of my hair
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 9:47pm
Wow what a story, Your poor hair gave out from the sounds of it. You said your goal was about 5"?
My first suggestion is to find out what you monthly  or weekly growth rate is by measuring your roots or a specific spot on your head like your bangs or the nape of your neck. This give you a idea of how long you need to get to your goal.
 the "average" growth  is said to be 1/2" a month. I found with vitamins and water i can get 3/4" to 1" on the regular. therfore you looking at maybe 6  months a little more or less.

Cut back on shampooing. maybe once a week. Invest in Nexxus Emergencc- it helps keep hair from snapping off and  hold back the frizzy  split ends.
 i found nexxus humcantress really helped condition my hair

if you hair has a orange or red tone try a semi dye in a ash color, or Sally's beauty supply sells a product called UNRED. It's a blue purple but helps tone done the red ( used it for my own bleachings). But the  purple shimmer or what ever they used may work, never personally used that product.

unfortunately a simple color remover in the beginning would have more then likely removed the botched color she put on and saved your locks from torture.

Edited by suicides_eve - August 22 2009 at 9:57pm
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 10:27pm

Wow natorade ur hair looks amazing in the picture :) Collar bone length would be relaly good and that horse shampoo stuff u mentioned, i heard that it works. Im growing mine to mid back or lower back length, what do u think?

natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Pburgh56 Pburgh56 wrote:

Wow natorade ur hair looks amazing in the picture :) Collar bone length would be relaly good and that horse shampoo stuff u mentioned, i heard that it works. Im growing mine to mid back or lower back length, what do u think?

I think you have a good goal there with your length. What is your length right now? How long have you been frowing it out?
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2009 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by suicides_eve suicides_eve wrote:

Wow what a story, Your poor hair gave out from the sounds of it. You said your goal was about 5"?
My first suggestion is to find out what you monthly  or weekly growth rate is by measuring your roots or a specific spot on your head like your bangs or the nape of your neck. This give you a idea of how long you need to get to your goal.
 the "average" growth  is said to be 1/2" a month. I found with vitamins and water i can get 3/4" to 1" on the regular. therfore you looking at maybe 6  months a little more or less.

Cut back on shampooing. maybe once a week. Invest in Nexxus Emergencc- it helps keep hair from snapping off and  hold back the frizzy  split ends.
 i found nexxus humcantress really helped condition my hair

if you hair has a orange or red tone try a semi dye in a ash color, or Sally's beauty supply sells a product called UNRED. It's a blue purple but helps tone done the red ( used it for my own bleachings). But the  purple shimmer or what ever they used may work, never personally used that product.

unfortunately a simple color remover in the beginning would have more then likely removed the botched color she put on and saved your locks from torture.

I can only cross my fingers that I can get close to an inch a month. I am so afraid that my hair is going to grow at a snails pace. Especially when I am only noticing about 1/8 of  an inch of regrowth. So if I only get another 1/8 of an in inch in 2 weeks that will be less then 1/2 an inch for one month. Yikes I don't like the sound of that. My mom got a bad cut in October. Her hair was down to her waist and the stylist ended up cutting her hair to about her collar bone. She just threw it up in a ponytail and now 10 months later her hair is between her waist and bra strap. Why can't I have haie like that? It wouldn't be so bad if I could at least throw my hair in a pony and just forget about it? Right now I am afraid to put any kind of color or chemical on it. I am just going to suck it up and live with the orange color for the next 4 months and see what happens. Keep my fingers crossed that I get at least 2 inches of growth in the next 4 months.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 1:13am
well i have been growing my hair out from a buzz cut since january and its around collar length right now so its still going :( any advice?
thanks soo much for the compliment on the length too.
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 11:23am
well it sounds like you got a lot of growth in 7 months buzz to collar is pretty good. As far as advice all i can do is tell you what I am doing. I am taking the hair, skin, and nail vitamin by GNC and messaging my scalp as much as possible hoping it will stimulate my circulation and just impatiently waiting for growth. I wish it was already this time next year so I can be at the length I want. Well, at least I should be at the length I want by time i celebrate my 21st birthday lol
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 8:58pm
I have to say that I am pretty excited to be seeing some dark roots right now. I usually hate my roots to show but at least now seeing them I  feel relieved that my hair is growing. I really was afraid that I might have fried my hair follicle with this last chemical and my hairs weren't going to grow. I also noticed today that when I let my hair dry naturally it has alot of it's natural wave back instead of the frizzy pouffy mess that has been sitting on my head.
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 1:45pm
I HATE my hair so much...it is so frustrating. The last trim I got was almost 2 weeks ago and I still cannot do crap with my hair. It is so flat and limp and I have pretty thick hair. I look like a boy with this cut. I feel like people are staring at me and laughing at my hair. i look at my roots everyday and I am just not seeing fast enough regrowth. I really think this last chemical mishap has stunted my growth. It seems like I usually have more root regrowth in 2 weeks then what I have right now. I can't get a job and I can't help but feel it's because my hair is so ugly. people tell me I have such a beautiful face that I can pull off bald or any color hair and still look good. Boy are they wrong. This cut I have going is sooooo ugly. All my years of confidence are going down the toilet. I can't help but think if I didn't have such small bladder I wouldn't be in this predictament. I had to pee so bad when I was in class. I just couldn't hold it. I left class to go to the bathroom and that is when I ran into the guy that sold me the stupid hair promo package that ended me in the chair of the first stylist that ruined my hair, and sent me on an almost year long quest of trying to fix my hair, which only kept getting worse. if i would have just waited till class was over to go pee my path would have never crossed with that guys. And I would still have my long beautiful hair. I am a comfort eater and I have been eating so much because i am so depressed over my hair. by time my hair grows out enough to where i like it i will be having to try and loose 200  pounds lol. I guess I shouldn't let my hair run my life but it does. And right now my hair is fighting against me lol. I tried putting my hair back in a headband but my hair underneath is more orange then my hair on top. I cannot put it in a pony it's not long enough. I just hope that within a couple of months i will see some kind of difference in my hair. Maybe I can just find a cave to hide in for the next year.
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2009 at 8:40pm
I have decided to switch back to my GNC ultra nourishair. I was taking it for a while and it seemed to help the integrity of my hair but i switched over to the GNC hair, skin, and nails vitamin because it has a higher dose of biotin. But tomorrow I am going back to nourishair and will be adding an extra 1800 mcg of biotin with it. I am also going to add flaxseed oil and horsetail (silica) with it and see what happen. The flaxseed oil might also help me with my stress and depression. Had a job interview today I am suppose to call back tomorrow and see what they say. Keeping my fingers crossed.
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 2:12am
I am changing my poo and cond my hair is so dry today. I don't know if it is from the new vitamins I have been taking or what but It hasn't felt this dry in a few days. I am going to the beauty supply and look into kerastase products. So I did something weird tonight. I plucked out a couple of my hairs and I could really see where the regrowth was at on these individual strands. When i measured the regrowth it came out to almost 1/2 an inch. I wonder why it doesn't look like 1/2 an inch when I measure my hair while it is attached to my scalp. I came across this web site from this famous stylist in beverly hills and he said if you want to find out how much chemical you have on your hair take a couple of strands and put them in a glass of water. If the hair sinks it has way too much chemical on it if it floats then it is ok. Well, mine floated even the new regrowth part of the strand was floating. Anywho, I guess I will stop rambling about my hair tonight I am becoming way too obsessed lol. I have school in the morning
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 6:48am
^ This is a method used to measure the porousity of the hair. Porous hair's cutical is "raised" from chemical treatments and/or damaged from heat styling, therefore the hair floods with water quickly and sinks. A healthy strand's cutical will be compact and sealed not allowing water in, so it will float.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 1:09pm
awwww natorade i was getting caught back up on urs and i love ur hair it sounds really nice . please dont get frustrated with ur hair it will be worth it in the end i think :) have u done any cool styles?
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 4:33pm
Today was a really bad day for me. I had my picture taken for my school ID and after I saw how awful my hair looked in the picture I just broke down and cried I just cried for like an hour. It's not just the hair but all the other things that have been going worng. I called my best friend and he told me that all these bad things are just leading to something really great that is getting ready to happen in my life, and when that does happen I will be able to appreciate it more. I sure hope he is right. Then I called my mom. She starts telling me that everything, especially my hair is just a temporary thing. As much as it sucks right now and feels like it is forever it is just a temporary set back. In a few months i will look back and say "wow! that was a really bad time in life." She goes to say that it could be worse. I could have something happen that is a permanent life altering experience. Now, I am excited because I am seeing so much root regrowth so i know my hair is growing but I am not gaining any length because my hair just keeps breaking off. I don't know what to do to keep it from breaking off. Can anyone help me out here? I don't want to cut it again.
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 9:30pm
Did u ever try taking Biotin. I think it makes ur hair stronger and should really work.  im sooo sorry u were feeling down :( im sure ur hair will be back to making you happy in no time
natorade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natorade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2009 at 3:05pm
yes iam taking nourishair by gnc it has 1200 mcg of biotin. itried taking 3000 mcg but it broke me out real bad. iam also taking flaxseed but i think i might swith to the fish oil. iam impatiently waiting for about more then an inch of regrowth so i can have my hair dyed back to it's natural color which is a dirty blonde. i just hope it will hold the color
Pburgh56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pburgh56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2009 at 12:12am
I hope it holds the color as well because I think itll look really cute :) Have u had any experience with biotin or know anyone that did. does it really work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic