Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair bleaching gone wrong! Advice needed...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aristides View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair bleaching gone wrong! Advice needed...
    Posted: August 24 2009 at 10:55pm
Oh boy, did I go wrong.

I'm a hair color newbie and I wanted to bleach my dark brown highlighted hair, then tone it to a medium / dark ash blond. I did a lot of research on bleaching hair beforehand.

So I bleached my hair twice with 30 volume purple bleach for about an hour. After the second bleach my hair felt very damaged in the shower so I've decided not to bleach it further. My hair is currently yellowish with brassy undertones, orange near the top and sides and a bit hot on the roots (though I did them last).

I used a blue / violet toner over the bleached hair: Wella White Lady and Silver lady. It helped but I still have a ton of orange near the top.

What are my options at this point? I still want that very cool, medium to dark blond but I don't know if it's possible.

The color I wanted (used a makeover website):

After 2 bleach sessions:

After toning: (my current hair color)

UPDATE: Used a semi-permanent in level 8 light ash blonde that runs dark- my hair is now a cross between a dark natural blond and light brown (looks slightly redder than the photo). In a month when the SP fades I'll attempt a third bleach to remove any orange and get a true medium blond. Thanks!

MY CURRENT HAIR COLOR (directly after coloring):

Edited by Aristides - August 27 2009 at 6:06am
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 7:04am
You have beautiful curly hair. I'd condition heavily for a week and then rebleach. You should use 2 or 3 packets of activator. On the scalp, 20 volume with your bleach. It is slower but is generally easier on the scalp. If your scalp is sensitive some people mix in a few packets of sweet and low with the bleach. It somehow reduces the sbite of the bleach. You need to lift to at least the color of a banana skin then tone.
What bleach did you use?

Aristides View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 1:16pm
Hello,
The bleach I used is called Prism Lites in Violet.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 5:13am
Get yourself a good oil bleach. The bleach I used to use is the best on the market, it is called Redken Levitation Oil bleach and it is a professional only product, but you can purchase it here www.killerstrands.com. The oil enters the hair shaft during bleaching and conditions the hair and leaves it really shiney. You will need to bleach to the desired level - looks like an 8 (  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_sXI8Dr0DFV0/RqW9BvXfDVI/AAAAAAAABwA/9APjnfsqe9M/s400/JULY+-+Natural+hair+color+Levels+101.jpg ) Then put an Ash toner on top. I'd recommend Wella color touch demi line in 8/71.
Aristides View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aristides Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 12:30am
Thank you so much ladies -

I actually decided not to bleach a third time and I just applied a semi-permanent light ash blond with a blue base, which toned down the orange and gave me a dark blond / light brown. I'm like the way it looks though I will try bleaching out the reddish tones next time when I touch up my roots. Thank you so much for your input!

I've added a photo update of my hair above
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 2:45pm
Looks very pretty now Aristides.
Jammar190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jammar190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 12:22am
Hey, I'm so glad it worked out for you! I would have been lost. I am so scared to try home-coloring, haha. But why did you use semi-permanent to fix it or not permanent? The semi permanent will fade the red tones will reappear. If you used permanent, you won't have to worry about coming back to it. But you fixed it for now greatly! =)
Mishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2009 at 12:52pm
I have REALLY dark almost black natural hair color and I bleach my hair twice all the time for my really light highlights. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near you, GO GET APHOGEE protein treatment!!! That stuff is a MIRACLE WORKER!!! You hair is in better condition then when you origionally bleached it! Granted the stuff stinks, and is really sticky... you put it in your shampooed wet hair... grab the hair dryer and dry it in your hair... it will make your hair stiff as a board & be careful not to mess with it while it's like that... rewet it after it's all hard and stiff... and put some conditioner in it... you will just play with your hair for days because you will be so surprised!!! Do it girl, you won't regret (after seeing the results you'll not care about the sticky smelly moment you had to endure to get the glamours results). I didn't use their conditioner second step, used one of mine that smells really good & my hair smelled MUCH BETTER.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic