Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair bleaching frustrations with photos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keetagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keetagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair bleaching frustrations with photos
    Posted: September 23 2009 at 2:08pm
Wow!  You have really been through the ringer.  I understand completely.  A while ago I did about the same thing trying to go blond.  I used a lot of conditioner!!!  My hair eventually recovered but I had to have about two inches off the bottom of my beyond-shoulder-length hair.  Just remember, it grows back....I have been doing my own color and making my own mistakes for long enough that I feel pretty comfortable giving advice about your problem. 

First of all, stay away from those little corrector packets at Sally's, they will just mess things up.  If you want to fix it right away then take yourself to Sally's and buy Miss Clariol in the level of color you want (level 6 is a dark blond/brown, level 7 is dark blond, level 8 is blond, level 9 is light blond and on up to level 12). 

You need two different bases which will neutralize the red and orange colors.  First, you need a green base which will take care of the red.  Then, you need to mix is with a blue base color to neutralize the orange.  I would use them 50:50 with a 10 volume developer.  But before you recolor, you might need to lift some of the remaining color out of your hair if its not at a blond level (it can be at a blond level of pigment even if it's red/orange). 

You can have red/orange tint or a red/orange level after bleaching.  Two different things. I used to be an auburn (for about 10 years) and I've had experience with every professional and consumer color brand out there (or at least most of them).  I'm now a blond so I know exactly where you're coming from, except that I've never had black on my hair.  Further, it sounds like you need to lighten the base color before you recolor with the tint.  Use the acitvators and use oil bleach, it's the most gentle to your hair.  Start with the ends (which is always the lightest part of the hair naturally) of all your hair then progess up the length leaving the roots for last.Depending on what color is left after about 55 minutes or so (don't go lighter than a banana peel yellow) you will need to recolor.  If not all of the red/orange has come out, you can rebleach but mix up a new batch.  It loses it's effectiveness after an hour.  Be sure and get all of the bleach out.  It takes a while.  Shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo if necessary.  Then deep condition, overnight if possible.  If you get enough of the color out and are indeed the yellow banana color, then you just need to use a neutral shade in the level you want (get the lighter one if your not sure).  That way you will have a beautiful golden (from the remaining yellow) blond at level 7-9.  Be sure and recolor with just a 10 volume developer no stronger.  If you bleach it out enough, you may not need to "correct" the color that remains. 

If you want a more beige tone, bleach until the "frozen butter" stage, meaning a light yellow.  Do NOT go as far as white.  There still needs to be yellow pigment there no matter what.You can also call the Clairol hotline at 1-800-877-9520 (which is only
for professionals but just tell them you have a "client' with the problem of "too red/orange" and let them know what color you're shooting for).  Usually, they are right on target.  If they ask you for
any professional info, like your salon name, just make something up. 

They will tell you exactly what shade to use, in what  proportion, and how long to leave it on.  Just don't drop out of "professional mode" on the phone.  Go to Sally's and look at the Clairol color chart before you call.  Decide what "level" of pigment you have, and what level and color you want. (Levels and color are two different things).  They will also ask you for your natural level (before you did anything).  Pick out a few colors you like.  When you call say 7G, for example, is what you are trying to achieve.  Then tell them what you have and why. (Be sure to talk in the 3rd person:  "she used bleach", "she wants......whatever color", "she has red/gold". 

After all of this, condition your head off for a month.  Do overnight masks (you can find them at all price ranges but Wella In-Depth is highly recommended by pros and costs only $5 at Sally's) at least twice a week.

Edited by Administrator - September 25 2009 at 5:49pm
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 10:06pm
You need to use an activator with the bleach probably two packets if you are going to bleach again.
moonlitskies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlitskies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2009 at 5:23pm
I am losing my mind.

Over the past week I have stripped my hair three times, bleached my roots twice, and bleached my ends more times than I can count with 40vol developer. 

I realize that the orange is really difficult to lift, but seriously...how long does it take?

I'm fully aware of the damage I'm doing to my hair.  It's not falling out and I keep doing hot oil treatments, protein fillers, and hair masks. 

A little backstory:

My natural hair is dark blonde level 6.

I spent several years dyeing my hair a dark auburn.  Last March I went a little crazy and dyed it black.  Two months later I dyed it black again. 

Fast forward to now.  I skipped into Sally's with a smile on my face and purchased 3 boxes of Loreal Color Zap, 40vol developer, and several packets of Loreal Quick Blue Bleach.

After stripping my hair 3 times and bleaching twice, I got this as a result:

No big deal, I thought...this is supposed to happen. 

3 days later, after several hot oil and deep conditioning and protein treatments, I did two more bleachings on the ends.   The ends faded to what I would say is a Level 7/Level 8 Copper/Yellow Copper.

How in the name of god do you get it out?  I realize there are 50 million threads on this but each case is different.  Would an activator help?  I saw them in the store and figured the bleach itself would just do it's job eventually but it's not cutting it.  Yesterday I went to Sally's to pick up some toner and chose Wella's Ivory Lady--as it seems to be a favorite.  I also picked up some Ardell Red Gold Corrector plus to see if that would aid in the removal of the orangey tones and the lady at Sally's said it wasn't neccessary...now I'm thinking it would've been worth a shot...it says on the box
  • Use during tinting, bleaching or toning to eliminate unwanted harsh red or gold tones
  • Add to shampoo to refresh blonde, gray or white hair
After the bleaching...I tried to tone my roots at least with Wella Ivory Lady and a 10vol cream developer, with no results.  Also, the mixture was supposed to turn purple...and it didn't.  It turned brown.  I was led to believe Ivory Lady was a purple toner, and it wasn't.  No wonder it didn't work. 

Can anyone reccomend an activator or at least explain what they do?

Why didn't my toner turn purple?

Will Unred or Gold/Red Corrector plus help with the orange tones left on my ends?

Thanks...any advice, reccommendations or opinions--personal stories are encouraged and everything is appreciated.

:)

Edited by moonlitskies - September 09 2009 at 5:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic