Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changing colors frequency ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
esmith7713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing colors frequency ?
    Posted: September 14 2009 at 4:13pm
is there a limit as to how many times and how often you change your hair color? i'm talking colors within the same family - browns to reddish browns. permanent color. my wife colors every couple months but sometimes changes the shade - is that bad? is that too frequent (darn roots!)

thanks!
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 4:34am
You don't want to put Permanent color over Permanent Color Down the hair shaft.  If she used an Acid Demi type color to refresh the mid lengths to ends while an permanent only on the fresh roots that may be healthier choice.  Like Colorance, Shades eq, Viviance, Ion Demi, Prem Creme Demi, Wella Color Touch Semi, Matrix Color Sync, color Shampoo/Conditioner, Clear Gloss Glaze Demi.Embarrassed
What is her Hair Level/Color Roots (NATURAL)?Gray percentage?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 6:22am
thanks for the response- her natural color is dark brown. she's pretty gray - the roots, now about 1.5 - 2 inches are heavily gray. She was using Feria but last time went with Wella Color Charm (cinnamon) from Sallys. She was thinking of going back to more of a brown this time.
i've asked her about only doing touch up on the roots but she feels she might as well color everything. But she's speaking about how much work is involved with coloring, not regarding the health of her hair. she says it'll take as much effort to do only the roots- why not do the entire head.
btw she also just had a anti-curl process done - on the 2nd. her hair's about chin length.
any info/advice would be so appreciated!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 12:54pm
I would go with borne blonde advise above, and use the permanent on roots only. If your wife is doing this at home, I can understand its a bit of a hassle to try and just do the roots and trying to make sure all the root regrowth is covered especially if she has a high percentage of Grey. What she can do is get someone to help her do the roots ensuring all Grey is covered, then add a little warm water to the remainder of the colour left, and emulsify this through the mid lengths and ends the last 10 mins of developing time, this will refresh her ends, and cause less damage.

Most of my clients come into the salon to have their root re-growth done every 6 to 8 weeks, which is the norm, and I always do the above. Change tone  shouldn't matter. Its having to lift colours out with bleach etc that can cause the damage to hair. So she should be fine, I would however recommend your wife has a trim/cut every 6 to 8 weeks keeps on top of ridding the hair of damage/ dry ends.

KarenSmile

Edited by karen s - September 15 2009 at 12:56pm
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 1:34pm
thanks Karen - i'll mention that -but if she decides just to color it all - permanent again - that would be ok - her last color was june 18
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 1:40pm
Yes that would be OK, but above applies if she wants to cause minimal damageThumbs%20Up
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 2:40pm
thanks once again- my wife's funny with her hair. she wants it to look a certain way, but doesn't want to invest the time or effort. she's a wash and wear girl without wash and wear hair! for years she wore a very short crop (and i mean short!) and i think got spoiled with the ease of it. now that it's longer she's not used to taking care of it. she got the anti-curl process to hopefully keep her from flat ironing it...
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 2:22pm
Well us woman are all the same, lol
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 5:22pm
well we went to sallys today - she got ferai professional, and some red inhibitor to add to it. also the woman there recommended some gray hair pretreatment type stuff- put in hair let dry, then color.
finally she was going to get pantene straight shampoo (avoiding that flat iron again!) but the woman said pantene is no good. we got some Ion straight shampoo and conditioner there.

question for you - she was unsure whether to get straight shampoo (safe for chemically treated hair) or shampoo specifically made for color treated hair. she ended up with both and figured she used them both - at different times of course! a few times each per week i guess. what'd you think?

Edited by esmith7713 - September 17 2009 at 8:26am
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 12:45pm
Better with the shampoo & conditioner for coloured hair, especially after doing her colour, however she can use both. Remembering colour, anti curl process, are all chemical treatments so really both shampoo's and conditioner's will give some protection no matter which one she uses.
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 5:59am
thanks so much for all the help and advice. She did the color and it looks great! i advised her to use the color shampoo first and then rotate the straightening one a few times a week.
now if only she'd straighten out the last lousy haircut! it's been two weeks and it looks horrible. she did go back the very next day but still looks bad. is it too late to complain to the hairdresser?
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 4:55pm

Is it the haircut itself thats bad. Mmmmmm I think 2 weeks is a wee bit late , but she could go back and see what they say. To be honest if she felt the cut was so bad, then if it was me I would go else where.

I am a hairstylist and if someone wasn't happy with the service I provided I would rather they told me straight away.

Glad your wife colour looks great.
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 7:03pm
thanks once again Karen- here's the story... she's been going to the same woman for years - does a great job. was then going to get the japanese hair straightening done but only one guy does it at that salon. after her consult with him she went with the anti-curl but was already set for him to cut her hair. he cut it after the anticurl and her bob was a bit uneven (just below chin length). so the next day she went back and he straightened it a bit but i think she told him to angle it - meaning the entire side - higher in the back down to chin, but he only angled the back about halfway to front. then from the ear or so its blunt to the chin. does that make sense? so from the center of the nape its angled but then levels off as it goes to chin. i think she should just get it recut so it's a straight angle from the back to the chin. i'll try and post of pix of the cut she may get.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 7:55pm
this is the cut she may get - question tho - is an angled bob such as this not in style any longer? i know her normal stylist said she prefers to cut a graduated bob. what do you think - since you're a hairdresser! thanks!!

this cut would not only rid of the uneven angle, but would really take advantage of her newly straightened hair.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 11:52am
I see what you mean, your wife wants a more sever angle at both sides. This is a very precise cut, and yes its still in style not so much as just having the graduated bob, as the picture above is done with clippers to give a blunt  bob cut style. I prefer client to bring in a picture or photo so I can get an good idea of exactly what style/cut the want. Your wife could go back and show a photo of the way she wants the cut. However they may charge her again, this is at the discretion of the stylist.
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 6:12am
thanks once again karen- what do you do as a stylist when someone asks for a cut that you think is out of style? do you say something or just go ahead and do it??
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 10:54am
I will go ahead and do the cut, only if my client is absolutely sure thats what they want. It really depends on the stylist, some might not feel comfortable in doing a style that is a little dated, but styles change all the time, cuts come back in fashion all the time.

In a word if my client is happy for me to do what ever style they want then I go for it,lol
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 2:53pm
thanks- she went for the cut above and look fantastic. it's a bit less angled than the picture. a bit longer in back and shorter in front than the picture above- nape is buzzed and with the new color and anti curl she looks wonderful!
now she's hoping the anti curl will relieve her of daily flat ironing!!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 2:56pm
Fantastic, Just hope you have booked somewhere nice to show off your wifes new look, lol
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esmith7713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by karen s karen s wrote:

Fantastic, Just hope you have booked somewhere nice to show off your wifes new look, lol

that's funny you say that- our anniversary was earlier in the month and we had 2 nites in the city - that's when she got the anti-curl and first cut which ended up being a huge disappointment - this latest cut (only 3 weeks later) if absolutely gorgeous on her but we missed our chance to show it off!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic