Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taking a chance. Will off soft still work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a chance. Will off soft still work?
    Posted: September 21 2003 at 7:27pm

It's actually not too much of a chance since I've done it before but I'm coloring (by a professional-learned that lesson) my medium/light blonde hair a light/medium brown for a change. Just wondering what you guys opinion is on continuing to use all soft at a shampoo or should I switch to a color shampoo. And if so what would you recommend. I've tried some in the past and find them to be drying or just make my hair limp and flat.

Traci
A wish is a desire without any attempt to attain its end.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2003 at 7:35am
Hiya Spaci. Here's the thing about color shampoos: unless they're color-enhancing, they're not much different than the rest. Color molecules are broken down by sunlight, shampooing and water. Some "color protecting" shampoos contain sunscreen, which is nice but hasn't been proven to do anything for your hair. Benzophenone 3 and 4, cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride, octyl methoxycinnamate and octyl salicylate are indeed sunscreens found in a variety of hair products, but science simply cannot quantify their effect on hair like it can with skin. That is why hair products do not have an SPF rating system.

To keep your color bright, keep your hair out of the sun, don't shampoo every day and use a color-enhancing shampoo and conditioner in your shade (ARTec and Redken have some great options.) You can also just use a gentle shampoo (All Soft is great and extremely mild) if you don't want to go the enhancing route
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2003 at 8:27pm

Thanks Lyris! I knew you'd have the info. I've actually been looking for the artec enhancing shampoo around here but since I live in the middle of absolute nowhere-okay I live by lots and lots of corn- I'm not sure where they would be. So I guess I'm going with the Redken which is fine since I trust all their other products. Will keep everyone updated on the change.

Traci
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Hiya Spaci. Here's the thing about color shampoos: unless they're color-enhancing, they're not much different than the rest. Color molecules are broken down by sunlight, shampooing and water. Some "color protecting" shampoos contain sunscreen, which is nice but hasn't been proven to do anything for your hair. Benzophenone 3 and 4, cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride, octyl methoxycinnamate and octyl salicylate are indeed sunscreens found in a variety of hair products, but science simply cannot quantify their effect on hair like it can with skin. That is why hair products do not have an SPF rating system.

To keep your color bright, keep your hair out of the sun, don't shampoo every day and use a color-enhancing shampoo and conditioner in your shade (ARTec and Redken have some great options.) You can also just use a gentle shampoo (All Soft is great and extremely mild) if you don't want to go the enhancing route

Lyris... can take from all that.. your hair color is not entirely natural? lol Still waiting to see a picture of your hair in its naturally curly state...
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 7:22am
Hi Hal! My hair *was* crossing-guard orange for awhile (well not really but it sounds cool to say.) I dyed it several times with the intent of making it a lighter brown but of course you can't do that with just a semi-perm color. So I dyed over it to my original color and used enhancement products to keep it from getting brassy.

Spaci, I'm glad you can find Redken in your area. If you ever get to an ULTA store they've got ARTec as well. And there's lots of corn where I live too
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 7:02pm
Lyris.... thats twice you have skipped right over my request... want to make a bet... I bet most of us would love it twice as much as you dislike it!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 7:11am
I don't have curly hair Hal! Just wavy, like the really bad picture of me with ghost-white skin I so bravely posted awhile back
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 9:05am
LOL... I must have missed that one...
Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 9:23pm

There is no ULTA store anywhere around here. I live in Iowa in a place where the closest gas station is 10 miles away. Shampoo is not a high priority for some of these people. We do have a trade secret an hour away so I'll be heading that way. I think I'm going to St. Louis this weekend so I'll look there. Man this is too much work for a little bit of fun. It's been a while since I've been a brunette so I'm looking forward to the change. Maybe I'll be taken seriously for once. I have a masters degree yet I still hear blonde jokes on a weekly basis.

Traci
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 9:48pm
Spaci is there a salon that carries Redken near you?
Look in the yellow pages most times Salons will say what products they carry.

Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 5:52pm

Yes a few do but I checked and they only have the regular color extend shampoo and not the color depositing ones. BUT they did have Matrix color depositing. Anybody have any experience with them? Getting my hair darkened tomorrow so I'll be on the lookout very soon. Hopefully I'll be able to do a little searching when I swing through St. Louis this weekend. Otherwise I think I'll just have to use the Matrix.

Traci
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic