Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gluing Tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sbmstaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbmstaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing Tracks
    Posted: November 21 2009 at 3:46pm
Did anyone notice on the Tyra Banks show when they showed how to glue in the weave, the weft was glued to the hair instead of the scalp?  Tyra's stylist mentioned that gluing the extension to the hair will result in hair loss.

Are stylist taught to glue to the hair instead of scalp? I've seen stylist glue directly to the hair and not the scalp.

Edited by sbmstaff - November 21 2009 at 4:13pm
Eliza D.
SalonBlabbermouth.com
Aphrodiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphrodiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 11:28am
I always thought you are supposed to glue it directly to hair and avoid the scalp. I am trying to understand your post...The stylist glued it to hair and then said that gluing to hair will cause hair loss?
I would say that gluing it to the scalp would cause damage to hair and the scalp?
sbmstaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbmstaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 10:18pm
On the show, the stylist said you're suppose to glue the track to the scalp and not the hair because it will damage the hair. When they demonstrated this process of gluing the track it was glued to the hair.  I've been told that gluing to the scalp or hair are both bad.  My question is... which method is taught to stylists when gluing weave?
Eliza D.
SalonBlabbermouth.com
luvinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 7:07pm
Hey ladies im a stylist who has worked with hair weave over 10 years  to answer your question you are suppose to glue the weft to the hair not the scalp reason begin the glue will penetrate the hair follicle (which is made of latex that is a non natural substance) and will cause hair thinning and if used for long term use  can lead to permanent hair loss.

I dont recommend gluing wefts for a short period of time because it will weaken and damage the hair for sure.

A quick history lesson hair glue was first being used on runway models and was meant to be used for short term use.

Hope this info helps answer your question.

dolly666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolly666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2009 at 4:10pm
Ive glues my hair in for 3 years my hair is fine i find latex glue to runny and it sticks to the scalp so i use liquid gold have never had a problem with that sticking to my scalp.
roro0202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roro0202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 9:21pm
People have different hair textures, some are easily be damaged and some are not.

I agree with that glue directly to hair and avoid the scalp is better!
mariec5454 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariec5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 8:02am
The first time I ever wore wefts, the stylist glued the wefts to my scalp.  Because my scalp was slightly oily, the wefts never stayed in very long.  When I questioned her about this, she said that the glue wasn't attaching well to the scalp because of the hair.  Her solution was to shave off a thin line of hair on my scalp and apply the weft.  I told her, "Thanks, but no thanks! I need all hair I have!!!"  That was the last time I used wefts.  I now use, from time to time, fusion.  However, because of all of the wonderful information on this board, I am now considering wefts again.  Thanks ladies!!!!

Marie
ehairexperts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehairexperts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 1:20pm
Wefts should always be applied to the hair and not the scalp. Some stylists even prefer parting a thin section of hair and gluing the weft to the top AND bottom of the section, sandwiching your hair between the wefts, to ensure the excess glue is not "globbed" in the hair.

Hair loss/breakage is common with glues only because most people don't wait for the remover to completely dissolve the glue before tugging and pulling out the extensions. Glues, when applied and removed correctly, can be worn without hair loss or breakage.
eHairExperts - your article resource for all of your hair extension needs. FREE product GIVEAWAYS.
pinkparadise42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkparadise42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2010 at 7:56am

I have glued in wefts with LG for years.   I apply mine more to the scalp then to my hair, which I have heard isn't the proper way to do it.  However, the reason I do this is because I have very thin hair and I am afraid that the weight and tugging of the extensions will cause it to break off or fall out.  I normally place them half on my hair and half or somewhat touching the scalp.

And yes, many people when wearing the wefts don't wait for the adhesive to break down before removing them. 

You ladies offer such great advice!
ehairexperts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehairexperts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2010 at 1:24pm
We have heard of some clients applying wefts directly to their scalp however this is only the case if they have balding spots or if they have very thin hair. When applying wefts to the hair of a thinning client, there is an increased risk of their hair falling out or breaking off from the pulling and tugging during styling, ultimately leaving the client with even thinner hair.

If you have thin hair and are trying to get it to grow back, applying the weft to the scalp may not be the best option as it can retard future hair growth. If you have balding spots that you wish to cover, this technique might be the best option for you.
eHairExperts - your article resource for all of your hair extension needs. FREE product GIVEAWAYS.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by ehairexperts ehairexperts wrote:

Wefts should always be applied to the hair and not the scalp. Some stylists even prefer parting a thin section of hair and gluing the weft to the top AND bottom of the section, sandwiching your hair between the wefts, to ensure the excess glue is not "globbed" in the hair.

Hair loss/breakage is common with glues only because most people don't wait for the remover to completely dissolve the glue before tugging and pulling out the extensions. Glues, when applied and removed correctly, can be worn without hair loss or breakage.
Well said! I don't know why anyone ever started gluing wefts to scalp! That just seems so wrong!!! It would retard the growth of any future hair. If you attach wefts very close to the part line and sandwich it, it is very secure and does not pull. i also use tape because it seems easier and more safe to me. 

Patience really is key here though. If you can't wait for glue or tape to dissolve or loosen, then you will be bald!!LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic