Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How damaging can the wind be for your hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How damaging can the wind be for your hair?
    Posted: October 28 2003 at 10:53pm

Hi all, I was just wondering how damaging the wind can be for your hair?I just went out for a couple of hours today and it was very windy, but silly me I forgot to put my hair in a braid.When I returned home I noticed that my hair was still very soft, not dry at all but I was worried if the wind could damage the structure of the hair, cuticle etc.
If any of you hair experts could please help me out with this then that would be great.Thanks and take care.

Sean
samira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 2:33am
check out this link for an article about wind and hair

http://www.longhair.org/wintercare.htm
Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 3:15am

Thanks for showing me this informative website
samira.Thanks again and take care.

Sean
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 3:15am
Wind will do the following things to hair when worn loose:

1. Tangle
2. Dehydrate
3. Whip around

If the wind is cold, it will make the hair brittle.
If there is rain, then the dehydration may not be serious, but the tangling will be worse. Combing tangled hair is likely to lead to breakage unless conducted very carefully and a de-tangling substance and the right type of comb.
Dehydration will also occur if hair is tied, on the exposed hair. Best to cover the hair with a protective material, or at least apply a light dressing of oil &/or conditioner.
The whipping round of hair by the wind is likely to damage the cuticle. It is adviseable, if you find yourself with loose hair on a windy day, to tuck it into the back of your inner/outer clothing, if it is long enough.

Hope that helps.
Uzi

Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 3:26am

Hi uzi, thanks for your help as well.When you say that whipping of hair can cause the cuticle to become damaged, how can you tell if it is damaged?Would there be split ends?Thanks again for your help and take care.

Sean
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 11:20am
The damage caused by whipping can occur on the length of the hair shaft as well as at the ends.

The only way the damage along the hair shaft is visibly detectable in minor to moderate cases is via a microscope. But you may notice increased fragility of the hair or a dullness that is a result of a frayed cuticle.

Prevention is better than cure - so keep it under wraps .

Cheers,
Uzi

Credence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Credence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 5:00pm

Sorry I just had two more questions uzi.Thanks.Firstly does the damage of whipping occur when one hair whips against the other, thus stripping the cuticles or can individual hairs, without having contact with other hairs, just whip around in the wind and where they whip (or bend)the damage occurs.You mentioned that the hair would probably be dull but my hair was still very soft and shiny(I don't use leave in Conditioners either) so would this imply that I did not suffer much damage?Secondly if one finds himself/herself with wind damaged hair in the future would applying a hot oil treatment e.g. Jojoba help to seal and restore the cuticles or is the hair damaged for good.Sorry for all the questions, I would just like to improve my knowledge on hair/hair care.Thanks kindly for all your help and take care.

Regards
Sean
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 4:12am
Hi Sean

You are most welcome. This is interesting.

Firstly does the damage of whipping occur when one hair whips against the other, thus stripping the cuticles or can individual hairs, without having contact with other hairs, just whip around in the wind and where they whip (or bend) the damage occurs.

What does hair whip against?
1. Other hair. Hair against hair will ruffle cuticles but not strip them. Stripping requires a more abrasive or sharp surface. When individual hairs whip around without contact with other hairs their cuticle will not suffer mechanical damage. These hairs will contribute to tangling, which is a more significant cause of damage.
2. Facial skin. Skin presents a soft landing – so no problems here.
3. Clothes. If you have hair long enough to bash against your clothes in the wind, then the roughness or slip of the material is a factor in the damage hair can sustain. The softer and smoother the material, the less damage to the hair shaft and ends.
4. Environment e.g if you are standing by a building/car/other person etc. Hair repeatedly whipping against a concrete wall is liable to incur more structural damage.

Bear in mind that hair that has been chemically or heat treated (permed, straightened, s-p or permanent colourants, long term use of heated styling implements or hot-set hair dryers) is more susceptible to elemental damage.
The better condition your hair is in the start with, the more capable it is of tolerating the wind.

You mentioned that the hair would probably be dull but my hair was still very soft and shiny (I don't use leave in Conditioners either) so would this imply that I did not suffer much damage?

If you cannot detect any difference in your hair since the wind episode (i.e. it is not coarser, has no areas or individual bends, is less shiny, is more dry) then I would agree that you probably did not suffer much damage.

Secondly if one finds himself/herself with wind damaged hair in the future would applying a hot oil treatment e.g. Jojoba help to seal and restore the cuticles or is the hair damaged for good.

Hot oil is a controversial subject at the moment. If the oil is warmed prior to application, that is fine. If the oil is hot &/or hot towels or steam is used, then there is an opinion that the hair is damaged rather than conditioned.
Oil in itself, will help smooth a ruffled cuticle, but if the cuticle has been stripped, then no amount of oil will restore it.
Wind-worn hair needs water and protein more than oil. I would advise a dual conditioning treatment after a very gentle shampooing). First use a protein restructuring conditioner, leaving it in for an hour (or longer) with a saran wrap or cling film wrapped over the head. Rinse, blot to soak up excess water and then follow with a deep moisturising conditioner wrap for an hour or two.

Best wishes,
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic