Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maintenance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Philoopherqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philoopherqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintenance?
    Posted: January 11 2010 at 5:16am
Hi everyone!

First time poster here.

I have curly hair (as you can see in my avatar) and I've always loved it this way so I've never tried getting it straightened until last month. I went to the salon to get a cut and colour/highlights and the stylist suggested styling my hair straight so I figured, why not? (She just used a flat iron, nothing permanent).

Needless to say I fell in love with it immediately! I also loved how it lasted a whole week before I washed it and it looked GREAT all the time! I would get up in the morning and didn't have to do a THING to it. Such a nice change from my unruly curls!

I went to a salon and got it straightened again right before Christmas (like I said, I'm hooked) and it was terrific again (though she mostly used a blow dryer and a round brush and only used the flat iron a bit at the end so the result had a little more body and wave to it and it didn't last quite as long but I still loved it.)

Anyways, I really love the way it looks straight (especially since I HATE my current haircut when it's curly... way too short and badly done layers that give it a "shelf") but I don't love the idea of going to the salon every single week to get it done, particularly since I work from home and don't have to go out and face the world on a daily basis. I just love the idea of knowing I can step out to run an errand without worrying that my hair looks like something from the Muppets and, if I'm going somewhere important, I can take half the time to get ready.

So all this to say that I am looking into getting permanent straightening. I've been doing a lot of research online and I think I prefer the new 12 Week Blow Dry, or PBD or Brazilian Straightening, whatever you want to call it. It seems it's less damaging to the hair and it works well with coloured hair whereas Japanese Straightening can be a problem if you have highlights. My one question is this: from what I've read, with Japanese Straightening, you can wash your hair and just let it air dry and it will look great and be perfectly straight but is that true with PBD as well? I have ZERO experience styling straight hair and have also never had to use a flat iron or even a blow dryer (except occasionally with a diffuser to speed up the drying time of my curly hair). My hair is REALLY thick and I have LOTS of it so I can't straighten it at home, which is why I want the permanent straightening in the first place... so I don't have to learn to do it myself or fork out money to have it done every week.

So can I just wash and go with PBD or would I have to style it/straighten it a bit after every shower?

Also, I hear it doesn't get the hair as straight as Japanese Straightening, is that true? My hair is pretty curly but it isn't SUPER kinky and doesn't go in ringlets unless it's REALLY short.

Here's a pic that is more recent and shows more what it looks like now:

And here's a pic after I got it straightened for the first time:

Any advie/answers would be VERY much appreciated! Smile

Edited by Philoopherqueen - January 11 2010 at 5:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic