Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Frequently Utilized Aromatherapy Oils

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lifelovebeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifelovebeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Frequently Utilized Aromatherapy Oils
    Posted: February 07 2010 at 9:23am
According to Wikipedia listed below are some of the most frequent utilized Aromatherapy Oils along with their benefits and warning. 

Do you use any of these oils?  For what purpose?

• Basil is used in perfumery for its clear, sweet and mildly spicy aroma. In aromatherapy, it is used for sharpening sexual concentration, for its uplifting effect on depression, and to relieve headaches and migraines.

Basil oil has many chemotypes and some are known to be emmenagogues and should be avoided during pregnancy.

• Bergamot is one of the most popular oils in perfumery. It is an excellent insect repellent and may be helpful for both the urinary tract and for the digestive tract. It is useful for skin conditions linked to stress, such as cold sores and chicken pox, especially when combined with eucalyptus oil. Bergamot is a flavoring agent in Earl Grey tea. Cold-pressed Bergamot oil contains bergaptene, a strong photosensitizer when applied to the skin, so only distilled or 'bergaptene-free' types can be topically used.

• Black pepper has a sharp and spicy aroma. Common uses include stimulating the circulation and for muscular aches and pains. Skin application is useful for bruises, since it stimulates the circulation.

• Citronella oil, obtained from a relative of lemongrass, is used as an insect repellent and in perfumery.

• Clove oil is a topical analgesic, especially useful in dentistry. It is also used an antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, and antiemetic.

• Eucalyptus oil is often used in combination with peppermint to provide relief for the airways in case of cold or flu.

• Geranium oil is used as an astringent, antiseptic and diuretic.

• Jasmine is used as an aphrodisiac.

• Lavender oil is used as an antiseptic, to soothe minor cuts and burns, to calm and relax, for insomnia and to soothe headaches and migraines.

• Lemon oil is uplifting and anti-stress/anti-depressant. In a Japanese study, lemon essential oil in vapour form has been found to reduce stress in mice. Research at The Ohio State University indicates that Lemon oil aroma may enhance one's mood, and help with relaxation.

• Rose is used as an aphrodisiac.

• Sandalwood oil is used as an aphrodisiac.

• Tea tree oil and many other essential oils have topical (external) antimicrobial (i.e. antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, or antiparasitic) activity and are used as antiseptics, disinfectants, and in mouthrinses.

• Thyme oil

• Yarrow oil is used to reduce joint inflammation and relieve cold and influenza symptoms.

• Ylang-ylang oil is used as an aphrodisiac.

Some of these oils would be perfect as Valentine's presents including Rose, Sandalwood and Ylang-Ylang.
~
Life Love Beauty
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2010 at 9:43am
I use lavender to sleep.  I spritz a lavender spray into my bedroom and then I sleep all night long without waking up.  I also use it to relax when I am stressed. 

Love that lavender.  Can't live without it.
sarahmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 7:33am

wow, such a wonderful list of nice essential oils for the best of aromatherapy. These things can even help you check off your depressive mood and bring the cheer back to you. have nice and healthy life.

krisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 10:22pm
If I want to feel energetic and happy I would use lemon oil on a burner. I would put 2 or 3 drops every 10 minutes for an hour on ceramic burner. The scent of lemon invigorates me and helps me to stay alert, happy and relax at the same time. This is good to use in the morning when you just wake up and you need a little boost to start your engine. Most would prefer a cup of coffee for energy boost but I prefer lemon oil aroma therapy.

I also use citronella from time to time. Citronella is good to ward off mosquito in your house. Mosquito hates the smell of citronella.  I would use this on a burner for 2 hours.

I use lavender oil whenever I would take a bath in the tub. Nothing beats to end my day than sitting on a hot tub with drops of lavender to soothe your stress away. Then lit a few  aromatherapy lavender scented candles while you just sit back and relax in the tub.

I like the smell of rosemary and basil. When I am stress while working, the scent of basil and rosemary relaxes me and help me to concentrate better on my work.  I sometimes mix them together with a ratio of 1:1 drops.

My mom loves the scent of lemon grass oil. A number of asian food are cook has lemon grass ingredient in it and it relaxes her so much and makes her more hungry.LOL

_________

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic