Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair hasn't grown in 2 years need advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Heather0106 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heather0106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair hasn't grown in 2 years need advice?
    Posted: February 22 2010 at 9:21pm
So I'm a girl and I've been trying to grow my hair out for a little over two years. At first it grew like two or three inches maybe and then another year passed and it didn't get any longer. So Finally around six months ago, I went to the hair dresser he told me it was probably breaking off from the ends due to damage which would explain why it wasn't getting longer, so he had to cut an inch off the ends. After that I got tired of waiting and got extensions put in, i had them taken out like 2 months ago and my hair got damaged when they were in so I had to get another inch trimmed off like a week ago.

Now I'm pretty sure the reason my hair keeps getting damaged and breaking off was because i straightened it almost everyday during the past two years without heat protectant and dyed it several times.

So now I've started over and have completely stopped straightening and dying my hair. The problem is my hair is still damaged so I don't know if it's gonna stop breaking off. I read that if you have a white dot at the end of a strand it means a split end or dead end is forming and needs to be trimmed off or else it will break off and not get longer.

The problem is I just had a trim a week ago. And the white dots in my hair go up to a few inches from the root. So it seems like the only solution to get it to grow would be to get almost all of it cut off and start over. But I definetly do not want to do that, because I'm a female and I would look horrible with only like 2 inches of hair left. Right now it's like an inch longer than shoulder legnth and it never seeems to get longer.

Is there anything I can do to get it to stop breaking off. I just got it trimmed. I already stopped straightening it and dying it, I wash it every other day w/ pantene beautiful lengths shampoo and conditioner. I do not use scrunchies or anything else to damage it. And I take hair skin and nails vitamins.

Is there anything else I should be doing and is there any solution to get it to grow other than cutting absolutely all of it off?
< ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><> < ="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><>
Miss Burgundy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Burgundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2010 at 12:39pm
There's S&D (search and destroy). You look for splits or those white dots and only cut the damaged strands, like right above where the split is. If you have a lot this might thin your hair though. Other than that, there's not anything else I can think of. Just do some S&D, and get occasional trims until all the damage has been cut off. Just have patience and try not to think about your hair too much and the healthy long hair will seem to come sooner than expected.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2010 at 1:23pm
 First off, do a search for silicones on this website, pantene is loaded with them. They are very bad for your hair, and will cause your hair to break off ,if you do not claify regularly. If you want to use silicones, and some look for them, you just have to make sure you clarify about every 2 months or so. I have very wavy almost curly hair, and I can't use anything with alot of comes in it, or it makes my hair go alomost straight. But , at the same time it is very course, so I like something with 1-2 cones in it.

Try oiling your hair a couple times a week. There are a ton of different oils out there you can use, I like olive oil personally. It is more heavy than others, so I use it more as a treatment. I will put it in, put my hair in a braid, and them go about my routine. Almond oil and avacado oils are also really good. You just need to try them and see which one you like. I use avacado oil as a styling aid sometimes. I just use a small amount and rub the ends with it. It really helps with fly aways.

Mayo is also a very good heavy conditioner. It is messy, so do it on a day when you have time to stay around the house.
You can also try co only washes. It makes your hair very soft!

You are already taking the hair and nails vit, so that is good. Try taking biotin along with the vit. It goes hand in hand with amino acids in the hair vit. I have been taking a product called monavie since sept, and my hair has grown a ton! I take it for other reasons, but it has helped my skin look better, and my hair also. You have to get it through someone, but I can help you with that if you want to look into it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. :)
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 6:52pm
You can try deep conditioners like Cholestrol by Queen Helen.  You can get that at any beauty supply store.
tdbull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdbull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 4:31pm
I swear by LAVEVE PURE argan oil with Vit E and Essential fatty acids.  It has completely transformed my course, dry hair and mine is growing longer every month.  They are running an amazing special of over 40% off right now on their website www.laveve.com.  This is all I ever use now.
Terri Bullock
barbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 1:58pm
I'm sorry to hear of your hair trouble. Its pretty tough to have to cut your hair believe me i contemplated doing it for years but couldnt bring myself to do it (thankfull) and i wouldn't advise you to do it. There are other things you can try to grow your hair.

Hair is not complicated at it seem its jus like the body, there are certain things we need to help us grow right so does our hair. I would suggest you start by changing your diet get some fruits and vegetables in there.
Also protein which contain amino acid which is the building block for hair, you should eat some protein foods.
Start exercising.
Decrease in fat intakes.
Here are some home made reciepes you could use to stimulate the scalp and hair follicles. If you are intrested then click here.

I sure do hope that this helps you cause the way your hair looks really affects your self esteem and self confidence.
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 5:14pm
First of all everyone's hair doesn't react the same to all products.  Maybe your hair is very delicate and needs to be handled very carefully.  It's good that you have stopped using heat.  It is extremely damaging.  Also giving up the coloring and bleaching is a huge step in the right direction.  Try some clarifying shampoo and conditioner.  It removes buildup from styling products and shampoo and conditioner with "comes".  When you use the clarifying products pay attention to your scalp and roots.  Silicone products tends to build up there.  Use a wide toothed comb or a pick to remove tangles from your wet hair.  You may also choose to let your hair dry at least partially before you detangle it after washing.  Switching to a wide toothed comb for all combing and detangling is also a good option. 
Personally, as long as I don't do harsh things like drying it with heat, using a lot of hairspray and styling products or teasing it my hair is pretty well behaved.  I don't use anything expensive on it at all.  Diluted Fructis Pure Clean shampoo, alternating between VO5 Moisture Milk conditioner and Tresseme Luxurious Moisture conditioner.  I also frequently use an apple cider vinegar rinse.  Dilute 6 tablespoons applecider vinegar in a one liter of water and use it for a final rinse.  You would be amazed at how soft, shiny, and smooth your hair will be after a vinegar rinse. 
I hope you have good success with growing your hair.  There is nothing more beautiful than a head full of long silky healthy hair....Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic