Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing own Great Lengths Hair Extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TiffyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiffyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing own Great Lengths Hair Extensions
    Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:06pm
Hi... I had Great Lengths hair extensions put in in November 2009. I was told that they would last between 4-6 months depending on how well you looked after them. I was also told that I HAD to use Great Lengths products on the hair. I left the shop with a pack shampoo, conditioner and antitap. Within the first few weeks 7 of my extensions fell out. I only used their products. I went back to the salon and was told that the extensions fell out because of hair breakage..! I then asked to buy some more of the products and was told they had none to sell and I'd have to wait for an order to come in...?! Suffice to say, I was not at all impressed so I aked around in some other salons if they had any products. Nowhere in the city had it, but one, rather prestigious salon actually came and looked at my hair and said that her clients all used normal shampoo & Conditioner in their extensions and she advised them to treat the hair as they would normal hair. She did add that a leave in conditioner or a treatment once a week would help keep them looking good. So, I went down to my supermarket and bought Andrew Collinge PURITY Hydra therepy shampoo and conditioner and used that instead. Since using it none of my extensions fell out and they were in great condition. I did a treatment once a week and also bought a leave in conditioner form Aussie for long hair. I decided at the beginning of May that I was going to get them out, I could see that they weren't looking great and my hair had grown at least 2 inches. Some of the hair was also dreading together, which didnt bother me as Ive always wanted dreaded hair anyway...lol I called the salon which put them in for me, although I really didn't want to go back I thought i would see how much they charged. I was told £100. I thought that a bit excessive and really didn;t want to give them another penny as the service hadn't been great. So, I looked into getting them out myself.  I tried hair straigtners with baking paper wrapped around them. This took out the extension but steaked the glue thru my hair. Looked for some Salon pro 30 solution, but couldn't find it anywhere. Lady in Sallys suggested Proclaim Superbond remover oil and Proclaim super bond remover shampoo. I soaked my hair in the oil and also used sunflower oil too, wrapped up my hair and slept with a shower cap on all night. I put an old pillowcase on and was glad I did as the oil seeped onto it and my pillow..! Next I took a chair into the bathroom and a pair of pliers from my tool box and began. I pulled out and extension and with the pliers cracked as much of the glue as possible. Sometimes I didn't think it was doing anything but after pressing really hard with the pliers (only on the bond, NOT the hair) Sometimes I held the bond with the pliers and wiggled the hair, making sure I loosened the top of the bond and the bottom. Then I would hold my real hair in one hand and with my thumb nail of the other hand pull the extension down. Most of the time is slid off. If it didn't I put on loads more oil and carried on cracking and wiggling with the pliers. I also had a fine tooth comb handy, so that once the bond was out i could comb through the knots. I then clipped up the hair that was done on the top of my head so it wouln't get in the way. This took me around 5-6 hours to take it all out. My hair was oily and my hands and arms ached, but I was so happy to be doing it myself and making sure that I was looking after my hair whilst doing it...also saving a bit of money..! :-) After all the extenions were out I shampooed with the proclaim super bond remover shampoo and then washed with normal shampoo. Then used an Aussie Conditioner and combed through again with conditioner in. I found it quite difficult to comb the back and some of the knots and hair were dreaded quite badly, but I guess thats because I kept them in for 6 months..! Overall, I think the Great Lengths lasted pretty well. The colour match was perfect and most people never knew they were extensions, but maybe because I had quite long hair anyway. I do think they are expensive, but I am glad I had them. Not sure if I would get them again. I hope this has helped anyone wanting to take their extensions out themselves. My advice is...if you do it may be best to have someone to help you...I had to take a fair few breaks..and also u may want to give up...God...I did, but I am glad I carried on ...After washing my hair i was so glad to be able to run my fingers through my hair.
sassyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 4:54pm
Its adviseable not to remove your own hair extensions always seek the professional who put them in for you.
TiffyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiffyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 1:41am
Yes, of course... If that person actually acts like a professional!
mariec5454 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariec5454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 5:57am
Good one, TiffyP  Thumbs%20Up
tammy123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 6:53am
Always refers to a professional so that he/she will better help you for extensions, sometime it happens that when you are removing hair extensions by your own your natural hair might get hurt and may result in slight damage that is why it is very important to take professional help.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic