Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
idoesit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idoesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
    Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:22pm

I was wondering if a white guy (like I am) can actually have an Afro? if so.. HOW!? and how would it look like? how long would my hair have to be?? and how would I be able to maintain it? (because I want a permanent Afro, not something temporary that would only last a few days)

This is kinda what I'm aiming for:
http://www.last.fm/music/LMFAO/+images/6564483
(guy on the right, obviously lol)

If anybody knows what I'm talking about and actually thinks it could be possible, leave me a message here and I'll hit you you up with a picture of myself, etc..

---------------

Also, I've read a lot about getting a perm but I know I need more than that and I wouldn't mind some useful tips!

and any other info that you think might be important, please feel free to post it!
Thanks in advance!!!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:22pm
Hi,

Almost anything is possible with hair but what you're asking to accomplish does have some definite challenges.  You point out that you want a "permanent" solution.

Unfortunately unless you were born with the appropriate natural hair texture to grow into a classic Afro like the photo you supplied (good photo by the way), no matter what you do to your hair (chemical perm or other treatments) your hair will eventually grow back to it's natural texture.

This is the mistake many people who get their hair chemically straightened make.  They assume because chemicals straighten their hair, it will be a permanent thing.  Well it will be permanent to the hair that has already extended from their roots but once the roots grow in, all bets are off.

I would suggest you take a copy of the photo to a hairdresser you trust and ask them what steps you would need to take to get your hair to look like the one in the image.

They can advise you of your various options and how long your hair would need to be to accomplish the look.

I can tell you that I knew a guy back in St. Louis who was able to achieve a similar look on his stick straight fine strands (with the help of a hairdresser) and he would maintain it with products.  He would get a perm every time his roots grew back in to a certain length.

The good news, with some work you can probably copy this look.  The bad news...you will have to continue to maintain it or else your hair will revert to your natural type and texture.

Hope that helps.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic