Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Ruined by Hair Extensions. Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LondonGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Ruined by Hair Extensions. Help!
    Posted: July 17 2010 at 8:49am
I have had hair extensions for about four years now and now my natural hair is very thin and I have notcied small bald patches where they have been attached. Has anyone else had this problem? I am so worried that if I keep my hair extensions all my hair will fall out. However I dont want to get rid of them.

Can anyone help?

lovelylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovelylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:28am
Hello there!
May i know what type of hair extensions are you wearing? If the hair is braided first and the wefts are sewn on, this should not cause the hair to thin unless the braider is braiding your hair to tight. It would be a good idea to request leaving the front hairline out because this part of the hair is  the most fragile.

If you are wearing the strand by strand method be sure your hair is strong enough for this process. This process is not recommended for people with thin hair do to the stress it puts on the hair.
LondonGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 11:36am
Hi Lovely Lady,

The extensions I have are real human hair and they are glued in single sections to my hair. They weren't cheap ones and my hair dresser said that because my hair is quite thin, even though i have a lot of it, it would be the best option. Im guessing the thinness of my hair is the problem. Can you recommend an alternative extensions that might be better.
Haylan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haylan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2010 at 4:20am
Hi London Gal, Sorry to hear about your hair troubles. I can understand what you are going through as I had the same experience when I used hair extensions. I would recommend having them taken out, for sure, or atleast till your hair recovers. I tried lots of things different treatments, vitamins and scalp lotion. I ended up taking the supplement Nourkrin (dont worry it's all natural) and using their branded shampoos. It is expensive but the Nourkin was the only thing that worked for me. My hair grew within a few months and was really thick and shiney.

I now use the clip in extensions (occasionally) as dont want to end up damaging my hair again.

Best of luck!

dlcombs8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlcombs8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 8:03am
tape in extensions are much gentler for people with thin hair. install and take down is so much easier too not to mention you don't have as much breakage in the take down as you do with fusion method.
Cheers!
Dawn Combs
www.myhouseofhairextensions.com
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 1:32pm
What method of installation are you using? When installed correctly, extensions should not do any damage. However, if you have very fragile hair, it could be that extensions are just too heavy. If this is the case you may want to consider switching to wigs. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic